xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
badinfluence

Computer For Server any recommandation

:D my simple noob question, which computer brand is the good for server? i believed those brand like HP, Dwell, IBM etc... sell in package rite.. anybody out there got any experience in build the server from homemade.. i meant for hobby, just for learning, bigineer.. not meant for professional service.. i just wanna do for my hobby..geee..in short, i just wanna ur recommandation of any computer brand package for homemade server... yap that rite!pls reply.. i m sure wait and listen :) p.s pls kindly include the features why you like/recommand the package, thks a million..

In my opinion, it is not what the brand of computer it is, but rather what OS (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD) it is using. However, since you asked this question, I wouldn't recommend DELL, it's much too mass produced and lacks the good hardware other companies provide. I'd suggest that you look into customized computers, and customize it to your fullest needs. Otherwise, IBM wouldn't be a bad choice for begining a server. IBM's computer technology is reliable and in my opinion exceeds over other brands.

On a completely different note, here's some advice on running your own server.

1. Use Linux, MandrakeLinux, or a linux derative to run your server AVOID Windows at all costs.

2. Apache is the most powerful and most used Server Program, and best of all, it's free, so go to http://apache.org/

3. Server maintanice will be "hell", if you don't set up a proper firewall, because your server will easily get hacked into.

4. Install PHP, MySQL, from http://php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com/

Have fun and Good Luck on starting a server, if you've got any questions or problems when running it, give me a PM. :)

can someone tell me how a server works? Is it just a computer hooked up to the internet, that people can access and put files into it over the internet?

A server is essentailly a computer that hosts information in which people can access it. So, Xisto's servers host my website, and i can grab info from Xisto's servers.

well, so the computer isnt that critical.. Linux is the best OS for server? but i m totally numb at Linux.. but never i will create another topic about OS and Software for server... according to this topic title, if i will customize Computer myself,

How about

- RAM

- Processor (Intel,AMD) >> pls point me which version

- Harddisk (Maxtor,Seagate,WD)

- Motherboard >> pls point me which version

- anyother info

1. Use Linux, MandrakeLinux, or a linux derative to run your server AVOID Windows at all costs.

2. Apache is the most powerful and most used Server Program, and best of all, it's free, so go to http://apache.org/

4. Install PHP, MySQL, from http://php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com/

yap this could be very concern.. even i just wanna do as my homemade sever for hobby.. i will create another topic 'networking for server' for this also...

3. Server maintanice will be "hell", if you don't set up a proper firewall, because your server will easily get hacked into.

thks for all,

A server is essentailly a computer that hosts information in which people can access it. So, Xisto's servers host my website, and i can grab info from Xisto's servers.

67930[/snapback]

cool. I never really knew how a server worked but have always been curious. thx

badinfluence, the question i have to ask you is what your going to be useing your server for? If your going to use it to host a website all you really need is alot of space and a fast connection and some good security. I host my own site from my own server at my house and havent had any problems. If your doing up a game server it needs to be atleast a P4 at 2.4Ghz and 512Mb of Ram and once again a fast conncetion (the faster the better). It really just depends on what you want to do with it. If your planning on running a webserver there is a program out there that is called appserv (google it) its appache,mysql, and php in one easy install.

Well, let me give you a little advice, first of all you will want to install RedHat Linux 3 and an Apache Server with Unix onto the PC, you should also install php, and MySQL.As for the exact PC I can't tell you what would be best, but a fairly good producer is Sun Microsystems (the makers of Java) do a Google search for "Sun Microsystems Servers" and you will get some good results. Oh yeah, you will also need a constant an fairly fast internet conection, ex: DSL.

Go with ebay's computers.....Dont buy one off there unless you want to but they give you and idea of what other people have done with their computers to use as servers....Also it depends on what you are wanting to so such as using it for a website host or a game host machine or what......I used to use this one computer in my room as a shoutcast server to play 24 hours of nothing but music.....But one day the pc locked up and I decided I would wait until I got my linux distro to do anything else with hosting.....But yea hosting computers are not cheap at all...they are expensive due to the machines speed and dependability and that sort of stuff...I hope you get a nice machine :)

What is the purpose of your webserver, as indicated above, if you plan to have an webserver only, you can do with an "cheap" pc, something like a 600 Mhz PIII with at least 256 MB memory and a good bunch of hd space (20 gig +). IF you also want to run an ftp, you're gonna need even more hd space.If you plan on using the server for home use (like internet sharing, dhcp, firewall, mailserver etc. you'll need a heavier machine. My best advice on building a machine, is take a look on what you want, think about what software and OS you want to use (e.g. linux/windows/novell/etc), look at requirements of the OS and software, and based on that, choose the components you want to use.Thats how i choose my systems...

as an example;My server has the following roles:1 - webserver with Apache (+php)2 - mysqlSlackware is supporting the following services:3 - ftp server4 - dns server5 - and some extra applications for downloading stuff :) this is on a PIV 1.8 with 512 RAM c:\ 10gbd:\ 120gb (ftp)and runs smoothly :D