xisto Community
giorgi

Booting Specific Priorities How to Set a Priority to specified service ?

I want to know, is it possible in winxP to set up a Boot Priorities ? (I dont mean Kernel)I mean this :for example I have 2 Services , Explorer.exe, and system32.exeI want windows when it will bring himself up to load FIRST SYSTEM32.exe and only after Explorer.exesomething like this.Afterc Credintials Authentification load these services Exactly ORDERED LIKE THIS :1.System32.2.Explorer.exee.t.c..every service after authentication is running under one whoole,,WinXP thanks alot ;)waiting for responces..;)

I don't know if it is possible to do that with XP, but as far as i know, in Windows 2000 you can set the start type of any service using the Services Management Console. With the Services Management Console you can set the following start type of a service:

Automatic: Specifies that the service starts automatically when you boot the system.

Manual: Specifies that a user or a dependant service can initiate the service. Also, these services do not start automatically when you start the system.

Disabled: Prevents the system, a user or a dependent service initiates the service.

I remember that DOS had two files -autoexec.bat and config.sys- that you use to do this kind of things. In Windows 2000 these files exists too and are named autoexec.nt and config.nt, maybe you can use them to do what you want.

One way to check out which services and in what order them are loaded is by booting your PC with the Enable Boot Record option. This option saves all the information in a text file called ntbtlog.txt located under your %windir% directory.

Best regards,

The Automatic, Manual and Disabled settings for specific services can be changed in the Microsoft Management Console snap-in by going to "services.msc" in the Run box in Windows Vista or XP.

Bear in mind that enabling or disabling a service will change the order in which it boots. I am unaware of any tool that allows for the re-arranging of service load order. I feel it is safe to say that the developers at Microsoft have a good reason for loading them in the order they do. If it is any consolation, I am fairly certain that System32 loads before explorer.exe already.

Like Linux and other UNIX systems, the boot order can only be specified by the kernel since it only calls up the services it needs to run. All you can do is to specify what to turn on and off. The system has to decide the order by itself.xboxrulz

When you say system32, do you mean all services located in the system32 folder ? Because there is no such service as system32.

If that's what you mean, then what you can do is disable all 3rd party services using mmc and delay start tthe hem using http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/ .

That's correct, there is no System32 service, and I guess that Darasen maybe refers to the issue that the files located under the system32 folder loads before the explorer.exe process.

BTW, i remember that somewhere i view that there are two more start types, one is System and the other is ¿Boot?.

Best regards,