xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

New Macbook/macbook Pros

This is the moment every Apple fan has been waiting for. Finally a solution to the bad Intel chipsets for the Macbooks. Also for a complete revolution in the Apple hardware.

Let's take a look in what Apple has in store for us this time around!

So what's new about these Apple notebooks?

Macbook

Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.0 GHz or 2.4 GHz 1066 MHz FSB
160 GB, 250GB or 320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive or 128GB SSD
2GB DDR3-1066 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M IGP
2 USB 2.0
8x SuperDrive
Mini DisplayPort
Backlit LED glass LCD screen
All new aluminium casing
All new multitouch glass trackpad
All new backlit keyboard

Macbook Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.4, 2.53 or 2.8 GHz 1066 MHz FSB
250, 320GB 5400 or 7200 RPM Hard Drive or 128GB SSD
2GB DDR3-1066 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M IGP AND NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT w/ 512 MB GDDR3 discrete GPU
2 USB 2.0
1 FireWire 800
8x SuperDrive
Mini DisplayPort
Backlit LED glass LCD screen
All new aluminium casing
All new multitouch glass trackpad
All new backlit keyboard

So what do all these specifications mean?
It means that it is a behemoth of an Apple update. We haven't seen such changes to the Mac hardware since the introduction of the iBook and PowerBook G4 before the Intel transition. (Note that the bottom scenarios are what I see for common scenarios. Please don't hold me accountable if they are false and please correct me if I'm wrong).

So what does this means for me if I'm a regular business user?
Better battery lifespan, faster access and a much more intuitive design as a laptop and the new trackpad will make your organization much faster and efficient. Also this means that flash videos should not make your laptop sound like a jet engine. However, you may not benefit much unless you have the Santa Rosa or Napa revision.

So what does this mean for gamers?
Ever wanted to run Need for Speed: Carbon, Unreal Tournament 2004 or Call of Duty 4 on your Macbook? Sure, now you can ... smoothly! Enjoy this massive graphical upgrade! With Macbook Pros dual GPU, it'll mean that you can still game on the go without sucking so much power. Once you plug in, your game will go even smoother like a desktop.

So what does this mean for graphics artists and/or movie editor?
Ever thought that whenever you're running Adobe Photoshop or Final Cut Pro and your hardware starts whirling like mad? Now with this new graphical update, it means it's going to not only renders faster but your computer should no longer be a jet engine because of the redesign.

So what does this mean for musicians?
Like regular business users, you won't see much difference in this new revision. Refer to the business users section.

So what does this mean for developers and power users?
This is a massive upgrade, now to appeal to the new hardware, you can add better effects in your Mac games and software and for power users, now you can multitask ever more and work more efficiently since now the CPU would be even freer because of the new IGP/GPU!

However, like many Mac users, I've been appalled at the fact that FireWire 400 was removed. It made no sense since other manufacturers are actually adding it (and calling it by its standard name: IEEE1394)

All in it's a great update for people to get! It is the one that most people waited for. It is both a lot more environmental and it's even sexier ... as one can say. Also, the technology is way advanced than most laptops ... the glass LCD display, the new sleek glass trackpad and the use of DDR3 on a laptop!

For the full version, with the images and layout, go to my page: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Your thoughts on the new revision?

Firewire, while they did push it a lot, has problems like getting past passworded screensavers. It'd be good behind a kensington lock, but not otherwise. Oh.. 800 is still there. "For this reason, high-security installations will typically either purchase newer machines which map a virtual memory space to the FireWire "Physical Memory Space" (such as a Power Mac G5".Not sure I know enough to comment on the rest, like DDR3. Penryn is good, lower energy. This, and Snow Leopard, will really push OSX even further into amazing, in terms of battery life and speed.

The design and performance of the new MacBook Pros is making me really want to get hold of one. Unfortunately, in Australia, the prices have risen dramatically compared to the last-gen MacBook Pros, due to the falling Australian dollar exchange rate and a buffer put by Apple to account for possible fluctuations in the currency rate.The design is excellent, with the aluminum unibody enclosure excelling above the cheap plastic casings of most notebooks on the market. Under the hood, the features a like is the new dual-GPU configuration for the MacBook Pros allowing for battery saving or performance modes (although I feel the having to logout to change the mode is a bit annoying since Sony notebooks can do it instantly), and the use of faster DDR3 memory (rarely seen before now in notebooks).

The specs of these new macbooks are looking promising, but I'm a bit skeptical about the package. It sure does look good, but the screen looks like it's going the be a mirror (like Sony's laptop screens) and I'm a bit afraid the glass is going to be quite fragile or quite heavy.

well, even though I'm a Mac fan, their previous Macbook design was filled with flaws, I had to had them replace my keyboard because it cracked by itself, keyboard keys click whenever I get a replacement. All in all, the aluminium unibody plus its glass surface should mean sturdier and less cleaning to do. The current glossy screens are a pain to clean.xboxrulz

Well, I'm not a mac person. I've only had one in my entire 'computer life'. Also, I just bought a laptop four months ago, so I'm not looking for a new one.Although the new macbook certainly good (much better than the old models), I find it odd that it is roughly $1000 more expensive than my $550 laptop, yet nearly all of my specs are BETTER than the mac's.ACER Aspire 7720-6208Intel core 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1.66 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2 MBL2 cache).Up t 358 Mobile Intel Graphic Media accelerator X31003GB RAM17" Screen.Built in Webcam and Microphone (Crystal Eye)320 GB Harddrive.I'm no computer expert (frankly I know nothing about them) but I'm wondering why I would pay more for something that isn't that much - if at all, better.

I went to a retail store recently and saw the new Apple MacBook. My opinion is that it looks absolutely fantastic, though I have never bough a Mac computer or notebook before. I especially like the aluminum streamlined bod, which is way superior to the cheap plastic chassis used by most notebooks.

I went to a retail store recently and saw the new Apple MacBook. My opinion is that it looks absolutely fantastic, though I have never bough a Mac computer or notebook before. I especially like the aluminum streamlined bod, which is way superior to the cheap plastic chassis used by most notebooks.

It really is. My old Macbook's polycarbonate casing kept cracking and caused so much pain for me to constantly sending it to repair. Now that Apple has replaced my Macbook with the all new aluminium casing and such and it's so much lighter and it's quite sturdy. However, I still make sure to not allow the glass screen to crack, which has always been my concern ... screen cracks.

xboxrulz