xisto Community
oxydon

Setting Up Sound In Debian

After having myself run into deep trouble with my fresh debian installation i decided to release a small howto on the question to help new comers get along any difficulty related to sound, the tutorial is located in my blog in this adress: http://metal-oxyde.blogspot.de/
i hope thi shelps, if you have any more questions, you can ask here.

Nice tutorial.I appreciate the way you did it, posting on Xisto the link to your own blog, nice, smart and honest way for giving here an info you published somewhere else.I also appreciated the tutorial on your blog, personally I am more familiar with rpm, I never used apt-get, so your tuto is very useful for me. Just a small detail point, I am surprised by the "chmod 777" on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. This gives everybody permission of deleting /dev/mixer, isn't this too permissive ? I would add a "chmod o-w /dev/mixer" in order to prevent from an accidental removal.Yordan

AnswerSetting Up Sound In Debian

Replying to oxydonThank you yordan :)I agree with you chmod 777 is too permissive, it would even allow somebody to remotely play sound in your computer, but I thought the average desktop user would not care (at the moment I was writing), so chmod o-w /dev/mixer is better I will edit that on my blog right now, and sorry for the horrible delay.PS: back at the time articles were so few that I given the blog main page adress, to access this tutorial directly you can follow this direct link:http://metal-oxyde.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-set-up-sound-in-debian.html

-reply by kindyroot