xisto Community
khalilov

Annoying Spyware

Every 1 or 2 page views i do with IE all IE pages are directed to another page saying:

Warning - you are infected by this site! Please, read our suggestions! You can learn more about harmful web content and protect your computer at Total Secure 2009.
Just download Total Secure 2009 Now and Protect your Business forever!

Suggestions:
Make backup of important files and documents!
Read more about Total Secure 2009
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.
If nothing will help you - reinstall windows or e-mail Total Secure 2009 team.
Or you can continue to visit this site at your own risk.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmasters Tools.
Webmasters Tools from

Also a message (the ones you do with java, you have click ok for them to go i dunno what they are called) saying my computer is infected and if i wanted to download an anti-spyware, thats probably a spyware since i have to say no like 10 times.After that iam directed back to my previous page, i start viewing again and it happens and the cycle satrts all over again. I ran a spyware scan using Mcafee (lolz i know) and found nothing. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this annoying problem, i know system restore will probably fixed by system restore but i did alot of stuff on my computer (thats probably how the spyware got in), so iam keeping that as a last option. Any FREE anti-spyware that i can download? even if its a free trial one i only need it to get rid of this. I don't want any free scan pay to remove ones too ;)

A quick google for "Total Secure 2009" found several solutions, mainly where the answer is to download something else. This is kind of a catch22 as TotalSecure is scareware in the first place... who do you trust?

This page: http://www.411-spyware.com/
...does look promising in that it gives manual instructions for removal, without instead of insisting you have to use yet another install of something else.

As a Linux user, I don't have such concerns... I'd recommend you don't use Windows for your internet usage because this kind of thing is so common.

Edited by Lancer (see edit history)

Also have a look at smitfraudfix, seems that it handles this kind of things.You can simply start it and see if it detects this rogue, if it detects it you can restart smitfraudfix in cleaning mode.

Yeah this sucks, try finding the software hijackthis, do a scan, and post your findings. It will give you some options to delete some bad entries. Also try Spybot Search and Destroy.I normally don't recommend a System Restore in a situation like this, but it may save you some time. Try it and let us know or try a manual method like the ones recommended above. I prefer the manual methods along with verifying with av/spyware full scans.

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

You can also try Ad-Aware, although it requires a lot of resources (memory, processing time). Norton Products are also notorious for hogging resources. One thing to remember, the more protection you have actively running in the background the slower your PC becomes. So after you get your virus definitions up to date and things cleaned (scanned) you might want to consider disabling some Av/spyware services, auto updates, auto runs, or some of the less critical options for more performance out of your system - especially used pc/laptop(s). Like you wouldn't need an email scanner if you use email services from hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. unless you use outlook or a locally installed mail program. ;)

Even if the above solutions work I would still recommend reformatting the computer. Once one piece of spyware has gotten into your computer you never know what it brought with it and that second piece of spyware may not let itself be known. The problem is that spyware has become so complicated that most of it now has rootkit

( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) components and once a rootkit is on your computer you can never trust it again.

Even if the above solutions work I would still recommend reformatting the computer.

Reformatting is a rather weird solution. I would rather recommend restore an old ghost backup.Of course, if you have no ghost nor akronis backup of your c: disk, then the solution is format first, install and check each piece of software and create/test a backup image of your system disk. And then, as tansqrx says, restore this backup each time you see your system having a strange behavior.

Yet another piece of advice; I run a small application in the background called StartupMonitor. It uses around 150k and lets you know when anything tries to add a registry entry allowing something to start automatically. I find it to be very useful.