xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Gom Media Player

The GOM Media Player is an excelent free media player that supports the most popular audio and video codecs, is very simple to use and comes with a nice and clean interface.

With GOM Media Player you can reproduce the most popular audio and video files like XviD, DivX, FLV1, AC3, OGG, MP4, H263, AVI, MPG, MPEG, DAT, MP3, WMV, ASF, ASX, supports playlist like M3U, PLS, ASX.

The GOM Media Player comes with a lot of features including Audio Equalizer, a codec finder, Skins and Logo libraries, supports subtitles, and two features that i like a lot are that you have the posibility to include different media types on a playlist and also you can play broken avi files with a patented technology.

The GOM Media Player deserves an oportunity.

Best regards,

Tried this, it's a great program. I have many AVI's from my camera on my computer, when I try to play them in WMP it say's there broken. I tried them in this program, worked like a charm. Thanks for the Information. ;)

Well, already this sounds like a good thing to try. I do like to try different devices as long as it seems like it is secure and if it has a good reason as compared to other programs... And this seems like it is a variety of uses, and supports many types of extension files.I do get tired of trying to keep up with open with shortcuts... Trying to find audio files to iTunes, or having them not open in Windows Media.We have a camera that doesn't really seem to open with Windows Media... It turns video into audio, and then it doesn't open in Quicktime, so this seems interesting to try...I may have to try it and install it and see what I think... Will have to post then, too.

How does it compare to Mplayer or VLC player ? I know those two can play most corrupted media files (especialy mplayer works great). Is GOM player capable of doing so (I don't have a corrupt file to test right now, so if someone could test this for me or can share his experience ;) )

Tundergun, you are welcome.

wutske, first of all please tell me something, when you say Mplayer do you mean windows media player??? if it is true, well to be honest , i don't like that player especially its equalizer so i try to not use it almost all the time, and second, sorry but i don't know the VLC player, saying that, for me the GOM player is much better than Mplayer, for example it's audio capabilities are very powerful compared with Mplayer.

I just start using it for a couple of months more or less and in this short time I'm very happy with it, my general experience with this player is very positive and i like it very much, some reasons to this are: it has an excelent audio support, it's interface is simple and easy to use, and it's overall performance is excellent.

Magiccode9, I don't know, may be if i uninstall it for my computer i could see what happens, and do you know where are located the registry keys of the codecs?

Best regards,

Seems like a nice media player, even though I'm feeling fine with VLC and Quick time Alternative.. even though I used to use Quintessential Player, it is better in some way than Winamp, but after some time I moved back to Winamp and simply am using it to play music, for video I just use VLC and Quick time alternative if VLC doesn't show some video files and for the codecs I have installed K-lite codec pack which seems to be quite enough to play everything, even though I can't play some video files from several mobile phones, they only somehow work with full installation of Quick Time from apple and I rally dislike quick time because of it's appearance and stuff. :rolleyes:Even though I never got, for what reason quick time alternative doesn't play it either..

I do love the fact that these players can do especially with VLC that could play DVDs on its own but the fact remain that the real deal would be its decoder. which is what FFDSHOW can handle most formats so that the native media player could run most format without bloating too much program in your system.

Personally I just stick to VLC. It has such a streamlined design that is minimalist without lacking functionality and comes with pretty much every codec I need. I use it all the time for most if not all of my media needs so it'd take something pretty special to dethrone it from my top ranked applications lol. Personally I just want a media player to play media. All the extra doo-dads that many players incorporate now do nothing, in my eyes, but bloat the system and slow things down when what I'm looking for is a simple librarying system for media and the ability to listen to, watch, etc the media I've collected.</rant>I might give GOM a try when I get home, as you seem to back it strongly. But I doubt it'll win my love haha

Seems like a nice media player, even though I'm feeling fine with VLC and Quick time Alternative.. even though I used to use Quintessential Player, it is better in some way than Winamp, but after some time I moved back to Winamp and simply am using it to play music, for video I just use VLC and Quick time alternative if VLC doesn't show some video files and for the codecs I have installed K-lite codec pack which seems to be quite enough to play everything, even though I can't play some video files from several mobile phones, they only somehow work with full installation of Quick Time from apple and I rally dislike quick time because of it's appearance and stuff. :rolleyes:
Even though I never got, for what reason quick time alternative doesn't play it either..

I was a big fan of WinAmp for a long time till it stoped to work fine with my Win2k machine even i had the time to create a couple of skins for me and my friends. As for Quicktime, I never liked this program because all the time it gave me troubles and it's performance comparing to other players is very bad, even till now I can not be able to uninstall it from my PC.

And i agree with you, it's appearance is very ugly.

Best regards,

Personally I just stick to VLC. It has such a streamlined design that is minimalist without lacking functionality and comes with pretty much every codec I need. I use it all the time for most if not all of my media needs so it'd take something pretty special to dethrone it from my top ranked applications lol. Personally I just want a media player to play media. All the extra doo-dads that many players incorporate now do nothing, in my eyes, but bloat the system and slow things down when what I'm looking for is a simple librarying system for media and the ability to listen to, watch, etc the media I've collected.</rant>
I might give GOM a try when I get home, as you seem to back it strongly. But I doubt it'll win my love haha

I agree, that's what we need, a player to play our media, nothing more, and yes, i back it strongly because of the reasons i said in my previous posts.

Now, regarding VLC, i just search and found it and seems to be a good player too, but is a shame that when i try to download it from its website, its shows a warning telling that i need to compile its source code because it is out of date :rolleyes:. This is from the VLC's downloads page:

Warning: The following package is not up-to-date with the latest official version of the software. When using an out-of-date version, you may encounter important bugs or security holes. If you wish to use the latest version of the software, you may need to download source code and compile the software manually, or wait for someone else to do it.

The latest version i found for Windows 2000 is 0.9.4, do anybody know if it deserves to be downloaded???
Best regards,

wutske, first of all please tell me something, when you say Mplayer do you mean windows media player??? if it is true, well to be honest , i don't like that player especially its equalizer so i try to not use it almost all the time, and second, sorry but i don't know the VLC player, saying that, for me the GOM player is much better than Mplayer, for example it's audio capabilities are very powerful compared with Mplayer.

What I meant was MPlayer, it's a powerfull CLI player (there is a GUI available too) that supports almost any format and is capable of playing corrupted movies

TavoxPeru, yes it's worth downloading. I've never paid attention to the page when I download it but I imagine that's the version I use as I got it off their main site. I'm guessing the warning is an auto generated wrong one lmao. The version I have says it's registered to 2008 so seems recent. Either way, it works, it rocks, and the codecs kill almost everything I can throw at it.MPlayer is indeed a great piece of software. I use it sometimes when other players give me troubles, although like I said that isn't often with vlc heh. But MPlayer is my fallback player actually.

Ok wutske, thanks for the information, i will check it out later, and i think it was windows media player :rolleyes:

Jeigh, i will follow your sugestion and i will download it later too.

Best regards,