xisto Community
phdex

Gmail For Mail Server. Using gmail for mail server

Hello,I know most of you know but for beginner its a very important information. Gmail can host your mails and has many very good properties as you all know. I had a new domain and was looking for a good mail serving service which will not cost too many and will work better. After alot of research I found that gmail is offering to handle your mails for domain name holders. The link is above https://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/ . You can apply for google to host your mails and google will also offer you the properties of stardart users have (like chat, docs and talk etc.).. I am using it and it is working perfect.Thanx

Thanks for the info, it's really interesting.
I will try that as soon as I will be rich enough to have my own domain name (now I use a Xisto subdomain).
Just a small detail : you first posted your topic in the tutorial section of your forum.
Probably you did not have a look at the tutorial specifications, as expressed here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/

1. The Tutorials have to be of a bare minimum length of 500 words to be accepted.

Your topic is far below this 500 words threshold.That's why I moved your post here, where it's place most probably is.
Regards
Yordan

Our school moved their mail server to google this year, it's much better than their own mail server they hosted themself last years, but it's too bad they have disabled pop and imap ;) .

I use Google Apps for almost all of my domain names, but you can use any regular Gmail for similar purposes as well. Gmail gives you the option of fetching email from your other email accounts as well (up to 5 accounts), so long as they support POP3 access.

Simply go to your Gmail account and click on Settings from the top-right navigation bar. Click on the Accounts tab, find the Get mail from other accounts options, click on Add another mail account and it will walk you through the process. At the end of the process, it will also give you the options of sending email from your Gmail account AS the account you just added, i.e. your recipient will see your email coming from your other account, not the Gmail one.

Of course, this method doesn't give you access to the other features of Google Apps, such as Google Talk, Calendar, and such. But then again, unless you run an organization, you probably have those already and don't really need the collaborative benefits of Google Apps.

Yes. Google Apps is a really nice service from Google. It let you use your domain names with many Google products like gmail, Google talk etc... Standard edtion of Google apps is free. You'll get 100 gmail accounts with standard editon. Same storage like normal gmail accounts with text ads.

You know what's my biggest fear of Google Apps?What if people really started to use Google Apps and soon we're all dependent on Google Apps? And one day Google decides to charge for all the wonderful free things we all so became dependent on. Then what? Imagine the chaos it will create? Either you scramble to find another comparable service or force to pay up.Isn't that what drug dealers are doing? Give the first one for free and once you're hooked they charge it with the full price?PS, I'm not insinuating that Google is a drug dealer nor impersonating that I know how drug dealers operate ;) ha ha ha.

The state education system in NSW, Australia is being changed from a Microsoft Exchange hosted mail system to a Google Apps-based. The main reason for the change was that the Google Apps-based mail system (which will be developed by a third-party) is that it was cheaper for the licence to run. Unfortunately, the mail system will still be monitored by the DET IT staff.

More information:
http://downtime.zdnet.com/zdnet/downtime.html

Google Apps works well for me for nearly one year. Before I used my local paid email system but it sucked, so I have to turn to Google Apps. BuffaloHELP might be right Google Apps may act as a drug dealer to give a free bait before to lure you into his trap. But who will refuse this free lunch? At lease I can not resist his temptation. The only thing I hope is that Google Apps will never stop providing this free service, at least the later the better.

I switched to using Google Apps mail function after the hosting change at Xisto, since they now charge for hosted mail services, whereas it is free to use Google Apps with your domain. One of the best features now is the ability to use Labs stuff in Google Apps, which is quite convenient for me since I regularly use mouse gestures in Gmail to flip through the emails quickly without have to find the inbox, next and previous buttons.