xisto Community
Mico1405241562

Help Making A Text Based Game. dont be alarmed by the topic name, come take a look.

Hi there, now ive read many posts on people asking for help on how to make a text based game, i'd like to make one myself and I know some PHP and MySQL to go for it.Ok that out of the way, the programming languages going to be used for it will be PHP and MySQL (if you've not already guessed that)I'm just looking for some help and stuff like that to get me on my way, im a complete beginner to this whole text based game stuff, sooo any help would be appreciated thanks!PS: dont say go to MCCodes or anything, that website is just a bunch of kiddies making some buggy codes ;)-Mico

Yeah, i've seen this before but had a bit of trouble with the getting your codes part, everyone seems to be saying that MCCodes are a load of rubbish, does anyone know where i can get any others? i've searched for hours on end and just thought about giving up but then was reminded how much work ive done researching already, sooo...anyone know anything? ;)

You can increase your PHP, mysql and alot of more programming language knowledge through one of these sites:

http://www.tizag.com/phpT/syntax.php <--basic
http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_ajax_intro.asp <-- better than the previous one

Also if you want to make a game you have to know how to design it,
http://www.maketemplate.com/ <-- generates CSS files and you can understand what each code does by changing them, also you can just input colors and fontsizes and generate what you want.

As for helping you in your game if you can offer a general idea on what your game will be,example turn based, war game, strategy game... maybe i can help

Also have a look at the "similar topics" below this post, this is a very nice feature of Xisto forum. You will see that there are already a lot of topics concerning text-based games, some of them have already received a lot of answers.RegardsYordan

I know there is one that you can run and MOD yourself. It's called phaos.

Can you tell us a little bit more about phaos ? Do you use it ? How does it work ? Shall we connect to a website and do it online, or is it a software you download from the master site ? Can you please give us the corresponding URL ?Yordan

Hi there, now ive read many posts on people asking for help on how to make a text based game, i'd like to make one myself and I know some PHP and MySQL to go for it.
Ok that out of the way, the programming languages going to be used for it will be PHP and MySQL (if you've not already guessed that)

I'm just looking for some help and stuff like that to get me on my way, im a complete beginner to this whole text based game stuff, sooo any help would be appreciated thanks!

PS: dont say go to MCCodes or anything, that website is just a bunch of kiddies making some buggy codes :rolleyes:

-Mico

Im not too sure exactly what you would like to achieve, but there is something called the Indigo Codebase which is written in php for the development of text based games in a similar vein to MUDS. Other than that, if you dont mind moving away from a web based architecture and into a server/client architecture, you could use a myriad of different mud servers to create your game and use a web based client interface to connect to the game server.

If you would like more information on any of these things, by all means ask. I develop a text and 2d based hybrid game using the EldhaMUD game engine, take a look about my site and if your interested in the sort of thing i have been doing im sure i could assist you in getting your own project started.

Multi Language Coding and Design Principal`Help Making A Text Based Game.

Although you state MCCodes is a buggy code that a bunch of kids created the thing you need to realise is that these kids may be younger than you yet they mastered the design code pricipal of PHP which very few tutorials online teach.  My advise to you is download the code, learn it, see how it works, re-design it to fit your needs and then use it. Ignore their license, it is full of holes and would be considered "Unfair Contractual Terms for Licensing" on 3 counts which would give you the opportunity to file a counter-claim against them and pretty much own their company and every penny they would make for the rest of their lives. The code they produced they have stolen many parts of it off the internet, I know because I'm the chap that coded many parts that they have stolen. Use it, ill supply the leagl team. We have money to burn.

Oh look out for BoA Entertainment this year. We are releasing the new face of the internet gaming with the objective to bring a full function 3d environment like World of Warcraft and the Battlefield series to the browser.

-reply by BoA Entertainment

I actually like the MCCodes and it was what got me started in MySQL/PHP and creating games in general, although I'm still a beginner. However I found tizag's mysql/php tutorial helpful, and I am sure you can find a tutorial on W3Schools, http://www.phpsimple.net/ has some useful tutorials(if they help you at all I don't know).

Wikipedia has some articles, but I didn't bother to read through them as wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source.

Also MCCodes is good enough for you to learn how code works, and learn a few functions that some tutorials don't teach. You may also use Kill Monster(located at http://www.chipmunk-scripts.com/page.php?ID=16) to learn some more.

I know some things about how to set websites up and what not i did a few games with some other people they just ended up shutting them down as the Mccodes arent coded well.if you wanna talk PM me and maybe ill be some sort of help :o