xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Make Firefox Look Like Google Chrome

I had posted a topic on trap awhile back for the chrome lovers on how to make firefox look like chrome but with the added security and privacy and what not. So I thought I would share to everyone on Xisto on how that is done and that way for those who enjoy chrome and firefox will have the best of both worlds with the following extensions

Stealther

Download Statusbar

Locationbar² 1.0.3

Speed Dial

Prism

Resizeable Textarea

Peer's

ChromiGlass

New Tab Button on Tab Right

Personal Menu

Show Go

Dom Inspector

Chromifox

Also one of the extension you won't get the full value of because you need to run Windows Vista and that being ChromieGlass, you can however move the tabs up tap, you just won't get the glass effect. Either way if you don't want to go from the chrome effect these group of extensions are still very good because how they make your Firefox life a lot easier.

SOURCES

http://lifehacker.com/5044518/enable-chromes-best-features-in-firefox

http://lifehacker.com/5059213/turn-firefox-into-a-google-chrome-clone

Edited by saint-michael (see edit history)

These are all very interesting, and I can definitely see some people who would prefer Chrome's "tabs on top" approach with respect to Firefox's. However, personally I've never found much attraction in the other aspects of Chrome's GUI. I like its "tabs on top", but other than that, I don't like how it eschews the native application colors and decides its own ones instead. Probably just a personal quirk.I will also say that the best part of Chrome isn't really its GUI, but rather its mind-blowing speed. If Firefox could become a Chrome-clone in terms of speed, that would far more beneficial than just cloning its GUI. Chrome's speed puts it into the leagues of a usable browser, and Firefox with Chrome's GUI will only make Firefox slower (more extensions always does that, no?), and slowness defeats the purpose of having a Chrome clone.I don't know, but this seems like a bunch of fixes that aren't really worth the effort unless someone is truly, truly obssesed with Chrome's GUI. But most people, after Chrome's release, were excited more about its speed than GUI. In fact, if Mozilla goes to great lengths to make Firefox faster (say they start using the same Javascript engine Chrome uses), then it will become a lot more competitive in the speed department, not just with Chrome, but also with Opera and Safari. Sometimes it's sad how Firefox is such a slow browser, but I can't switch away from it due to allt he customizations that I've already added into it.

As Arbitrary said, I am pleased with Chrome's performance, more than the GUI. But I have to wait until they get the Linux port out. I do not want to switch to my Windows Vista boot just for surfing the net.

As always Google has promised for the Linux port of Chrome, but honestly, I am not sure when they can get it. (I know that we can run Chrome thorugh Wine, but that defeats the purpose of having a Linux OS).

I will certainly try this sometime after my reinstallation of Windows. I like Chrome's GUI because of the tabs. Although you can't drag tabs out in Firefox, it is still a worthwhile consideration.I too am waiting for the Linux version of Chrome. I prefer Linux over Windows and although Firefox and Konqueror are great, Chrome should be very interesting.Regarding the speed of Chrome, even though JavaScript benchmark tests show Chrome is faster, Opera and Safari both seem faster for some reason.

Why don't you just run Google Chrome? (Unless Mac or Linux user) It's a lot faster and heck, I like it a lot more than Firefox just for the fact that it's running on WebKit. No more system resource hogging and it zooms like crazy.xboxrulz

I don't see a lot of point making firefox look like Google chrome, especially on windows, when it's so light and you just can run it and use it, even though I don't use it as it's to light for me, the main reason I have it is that it's using webkit and I don't need to install Safari for windows version, which really had a GUI not suitable for windows users..Also, I saw Chromifox theme on addons site, but didn't really try it, I've got no problems with Firefox or Opera current default themes, they seem to picked the right choice for "best", "practical" themes for their browsers. :rolleyes:

In terms of looks I have no preference between firefox and chrome. I do like the chrome look with tabs on top but it doesnt really bother me that much.I recently (finally) downloaded and tried chrome and am amazed by its speed. It loads up in literally seconds, unlike firefox which takes considerably longer. In that aspect it has me won over firefox however it still has a long way to go in matching up to the other features.

^^ If you don't like the chrome theme for Google Chrome itself, but like the browser, then you can try the Firefox theme for Google Chrome.