xisto Community
jjkeenan

Remote Desktop Software need some software to go please

I have this bunch of computers at home with users; my wife, my kids and one on the garage and my laptop with two of my desktop with different uses. I was wondering if theres a remote desktop software out there that I could use on my local network the has the same functionality as Windows Remote Desktop. One thing that I dont like about Windows Remote desktop is that i need to supply an password for those PC i would want to connect. I don't like passwords!Second, I could not be able to collaboratively use the desktop with the current user. It goes to this logout screen. How could I possibly help someone in my family if he/she could not see the things Im doing.I dont want to just try out softwares available since it is mostly web based and I just want a local one. So If you could give suggestions or software that you've already tried, thanks. ;)

Like jjkeenan said, you can try VNC, i would suggest tightVNC, it's a variant of the original VNC, it's free and it support file transfer. You could also login from a browser like firefox or IE. http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

If you can afford to pay a bit more, try RemotelyAnyway http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/template.asp?page=wehp

It gives you a lot more features which you might or might not needed. I use this for my computer when I go outstation. It also support only web interface, meaning you don't have to carry anything with you. Just a browser or any cyber cafe will do.

If you don't like passwords, I would like to suggest you to use a very funny option in VNC.With vnc you can control if users have to give passwords or not. And you can allow some computers to connect, and refuse connections from some other ones.So, what I suggest is the following : deny connection from every computer.Then, allow connection from your own computer.And then allow your computer to connect without giving password.

excellent.. i love to try this one. post back as soon as i set it up. thanks guys

I'd agree VNC is probably your best bet at this point. I know I've used some others where they had some killer cool options and normal password circumvention methods but they were all proprietary or pay software so you should try out vnc first and let us know.

I use Logmein for remote desktop connections. It has a web based interface and requires that an ActiveX component or Addon be installed on the controlling system. Although, it does require a password and the Free version doesn't support file transfers. I haven't used VNC as Logmein seems to fulfill my requirements. But, I presume Logmein is lighter than VNC.

Because I just use remote software for getting data from home pc.And all of it was not important data.So I use build-in netmeeting remote app for remote control only.But you have to install the netmeeting 3.0 first on some systemsuch as windows NT 4.0.Windows 2000 includes it already.But Windows XP should be required installation.

connecting to a remote desktop without locking the host computer Remote Desktop Software

Anyway of accesing a remote computer without the host computer knowing it? I sucessfully use VCN but the host computer sees everything I do...Anyway to do it without them knowin?

-reply by Santiago

I have this bunch of computers at home with users; my wife, my kids and one on the garage and my laptop with two of my desktop with different uses. I was wondering if theres a remote desktop software out there that I could use on my local network the has the same functionality as Windows Remote Desktop.

One thing that I dont like about Windows Remote desktop is that i need to supply an password for those PC i would want to connect. I don't like passwords!

Second, I could not be able to collaboratively use the desktop with the current user. It goes to this logout screen. How could I possibly help someone in my family if he/she could not see the things Im doing.

I dont want to just try out softwares available since it is mostly web based and I just want a local one. So If you could give suggestions or software that you've already tried, thanks.

:o

In Windows XP, not a lot of custom work is perhaps one user and one Desktop, for a lot of custom work you need to install the server service, or to Windows 2003, it is possible multiplayer work.

That means if ispolzovatee internal Windows.

If you use a third-party software, then nothing else to do.

There is a program Remote Administrator, it allows you to fully control the networked computers on a computer screen. But it is worth the money as a professional. :o

remote desktop Remote Desktop Software

can you connect direct through a usb bridge cable -- that way I do not need to use network --I have a mac and run qbooks on a pc 

-reply by Darin

TeamViewer Is Your Answer!Remote Desktop Software

The program you are looking for is: TeamViewer. It is made for Windows, and Mac, and allows you to keep a "friend list" of computers/people you connect to often. There is a way to make so you need no passwords, but I am not sure how, as not having passwords is the easiest way for someone to hack you system and mess you stuff up. TeamViewer is by far the best Remote Desktop application I have used to this date. 

-reply by Derik