xisto Community
khalilov

Delay In Update

In one of my pages a button was appearing the middle of a table so it was very annoying, so i added a CSS code for it which made it appear at the bottom of the table. Then i modified the CSS code for the button to appear a bit higher, it didn't have any effect. I cleared my cache and my internet temperary files and loaded the page again adn still no result. I checked the files and found that the CSS file that was download was the one that i had before i changed, i check my files on Xisto and they were different, is there a time period before my modifications take effect?Also is there a CSS or HTML code that makes the button appear in the middle and bottom of the table without me having to make a speciall CSS code for it?

Perhaps if you could point us to the page you're referring to, or at least post the code of both the table and the button (HTML and CSS), I might be able to help ;)

Typically, once you replace a file on the server with another file, the change is immediate. I haven't heard of many servers that keep cached files, and particularly not ones that would serve the cached file instead of the newer one. I don't mean to sound silly, but are you sure you replaced (i.e. overwrote) the CSS file? You wouldn't believe how many times I forget something that simple, and how many long hours I spend running around in circles until I realize it!

As for your last question, I'm not sure I understand. You want CSS code that would do something to the button without making CSS code? Perhaps if you post the original code, I may be able to better understand your question ;)

What i did is i changed the top and left numbers of the code.
The code of the button is:

.submit{ position:absolute;top:720px;left:360px;width:250px;background:black;color:yellow;border:1px solid orange;text-align: center}
After i cleared cache after the change, i entered the page again and didn't see any difference.
I entered temperary internet files to see what my computer is downloading i got:
.submit{ position:absolute;top:600px;left:375px;width:250px;background:black;color:yellow;border:1px solid orange;text-align: center}

Those numbers were the ones before, i changed them but the new numbers aren't taking effect.

Perhaps if you could point us to the page you're referring to

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ->log in with visitor user visitor pass -> train under military. Do you see the button 'Train troops' in the middle of a table or below it.

As for your last question, I'm not sure I understand. You want CSS code that would do something to the button without making CSS code? Perhaps if you post the original code, I may be able to better understand your question smile.gif

Its like a caption, i dunno if it can be done via HTML coding or CSS coding, but what i want is a button to be attached to a table. That way if i add a row to the table i don't have to edit the button's position every time. Also the button should appear in the middle below the table.
hope that made sense =)

Yup, now we're talking :P

First of all, I must admit that I don't know why you're using the position: absolute CSS property. I'm sure you could accomplish the same Look & Feel with relative positions. I know it sometimes takes a little longer to figure relative positioning out, but trust me, if you decide to change something about your layout, you're going to find that absolute positioning will make the modifications take ten times more time. But of course, you know your site much better than I do, and it's your decision at the end ;)

OK, back to business...

What i did is i changed the top and left numbers of the code.

The code of the button is:

.submit{ position:absolute;top:720px;left:360px;width:250px;background:black;color:yellow;border:1px solid orange;text-align: center}

This is the version that I get of the CSS file. There must be something with your browser not clearing the cache properly or something. I guess that's good news, in a way. After all, you now know that it's your browser that's misbehaving, not the server.

Its like a caption, i dunno if it can be done via HTML coding or CSS coding, but what i want is a button to be attached to a table. That way if i add a row to the table i don't have to edit the button's position every time. Also the button should appear in the middle below the table.

Well, I can propose one way to do that. It's an ugly hack (from a coding point of view), but perhaps you might want to try it out and see if it suits you. Here's what you should do...

Back up your PHP file -- no need to back the CSS files, we won't be tampering with them.

Delete this code snippet:
<p class='submit'><input type='submit' value='Train troops'></p>

Find this line:
<TD ><input   name='Monster' size='17'></TD></TR>

Between the previous line and the </TABLE> tag, paste this code snippet:
<TR><TD colspan="4" style="border:0;"> </TD></TR><TR><TD colspan="4" style="border:0;"><input type='submit' value='Train troops'></TD></TR><TR><TD colspan="4" style="border:0;"> </TD></TR>

By having the "Train Troops" submit button in a row of the same table, you can easily add as many rows before it as you want, without worrying about changing its position. It'll change automatically, the same way any other table row would. And the extra empty two rows above it and below it are just for visual aesthetics. You can delete them if you don't want them.

Try it and tell me if that works for you ;)

First of all the updates i made yesterday took effect, so it was something with my browser, as for your idea i like it, i added what you said but its not working well, there is one row with border and the button is in its begining.

But i did some research and found what i want

echo "<CAPTION ALIGN=BOTTOM><input type='submit' value='Train troops'></CAPTION>";

=)

After i cleared cache after the change, i entered the page again and didn't see any difference.

I entered temperary internet files to see what my computer is downloading i got:.....

You can press the keys CONTROL+F5 if you want to refresh your browser's cache, this works with Internet Explorer 6.x and FireFox 3.x.

Another thing to do is to verify the configuration of the temporary internet files of your internet explorer, if you want to get always an updated version of any page select every time the page is visited.

Best regards,

If you want to test your browser's cache, you can try using a different browser to open the file to see if the changes have been made. It should be immediate. Internet Explorer has some caching issues, and if your ISP caches files, or you are using a proxy server, the caching problem might be there also.And try using Ctrl+F5 or Shift+F5 to reload the page, it will force the download of the file regardless of cache state.