xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Siddharth0016

Desroying Autoplay Virus

Autoplay virusif u double click on any drive,it opens in other window..den ur system isinfected with this virus..how to remmove..??1. Install winrar software:it lets u see hidden files.Now create a new winrar archive by right clicling inside any drive.now double click on it.in d list of files shown,delete autorun.inf and auto.exe and restart,do it fast on other disk drives.2. Go to run at start type gpedit.msc.In d window dat appears,click on system link on d left side. at the right click on "turn off autoplay"enable this for all drives..nd restart windows.virus effect will be nullified

I don't see any "system link on d left side" on the left side, when I type type gpedit.msc..
All I see is "Local Computer Policy", which subdivides in "Computer Configuration" and User Configuration".
Where should I a "Turn off autoplay" ?
By the way, which Windows version are you talking about ? I tried both Win XP and Win 2003.
Regards
Yordan
----------------
P.S. You probably noticed that I moved your topic out it's initial place. That's because the the first rule of our tutorial section :

1. The Tutorials have to be of a bare minimum length of 500 words to be accepted.

u have to expand these user user and system configuration..sublist will appear on right side..find it out by exploring ..u will also know various other features which you can use..like hiding drives,and disabling control panel,task manager etc..it works on my win xp..if its not working on ur computer..then u can just use a ubuntu linux live cd..move to drives mounted on linuxand delete the autoplay.inf and auto.exe files inside drives..restart computer..if you are not in a mood to do this just try nod32 virus..its most effective for such viruses..

Edited by Siddharth0016 (see edit history)

Autoplay virusif u double click on any drive,it opens in other window..den ur system is
infected with this virus..how to remmove..??
1. Install winrar software:it lets u see hidden files.Now create a new winrar
archive by right clicling inside any drive.now double click on it.in d list of files
shown,delete autorun.inf and auto.exe and restart,do it fast on other disk drives.
2. Go to run at start type gpedit.msc.In d window dat appears,click on system link on d left side. at the right click on "turn off autoplay"enable this for all drives..nd restart windows.
virus effect will be nullified

Why the hell would you need to install WinRar to see hidden files? It is a file archiver and data compression utility. Just go to Tools > Folder Options > Hidden Files and Folders > Show Hidden files and folders.

If the infected application is running, you cannot delete it. You must kill the process from the task manager. Then proceed to delete the autorun.inf and the EXE file. Some of these applications come in pairs. When one of the program starts, it also starts the other EXE. So, if you kill any one of the process, the other one starts it again. In such a scenario, restart windows in safe mode (assuming the virus has put itself into the startup list) and delete the two EXEs along with the autorun.inf file.

Yes, AutoPlay is a function, but it has been known to be mis-used by viruses to spread themselves across computers. By AutoPlay virus we are implying such viruses. Pen Drive viruses spread by creating Autorun.inf file and a copy of the virus program as soon as the drive is inserted into the slot. Again, when you take the Pen Drive to another computer, Windows reads the Autorun.inf file and executes the virus EXE, thus infecting itself.

Since the dawn of pen and thumb drives, this becomes a more and more popular way of spreading. What I always do on the windows setting would be showing everything including system and hidden files. It is best to have a Third Party File Manager because Folder Option is one of the favorite attack points of such viruses. To prevent executing such viruses; never explore a removable disk on My Computer. Thats it. Use the left side of the Windows Explorer to browse on folders and drives, thus preventing you to execute folder looking files and autorun viruses

My autoplay doesn't even work anymore on thumb drives on Windows, and where it works, there are normally zero viruses (in Linux). Autoplay still works for CDs, but AVG will pick up those viruses if I ever encounter one.