xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

How To Connect Ps2 Output To Pc / Monitor?

A friend of mine is going to bring his PS2 at my place. The trouble is that I don't have a TV in my apartment. Is it possible to connect the PS2 output to the monitor via an nVidia Graphics card?

See if you nVidia graphic card as a video capture input. Most newer model since 6x00 series has one. You'll need to have the s-video cable for the PS2. See if you can plug straight into the graphic card. S-Video's connector and socket should look like this(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video). Read the section about "7 pin mini-DIN" see if the socket at your graphic matches the description. Be gentle when you try to plug it in. Try not to force it. It would be easier if your graphic card also comes with the video input block which has composite, s-video on it. Those normally available on mid-end model and above with VIVO capability. I did the same before, connecting PS2 through video capture to play game on my computer, but image quality wasn't so good plus there's a slight delay. If you're going to play fast action game, you might have to rethink your strategy.

If you'e looking forward to connect the PS2 directly to your monitor, then it's not possible, unless you have composite to vga converter. It's a expensive device to have.

My Graphics card is 8600 GT and it seems to have the S-Video socket. Is the S-Video cable provided along with the card, the same as the S-Video cable for PS2? The installation disc that came along with the card has an option for Tv Capture, although I never gave it a try because we have RF cables over here. Also, S-Video is supposed to be better than both RF and AV, right?

My Graphics card is 8600 GT and it seems to have the S-Video socket. Is the S-Video cable provided along with the card, the same as the S-Video cable for PS2? The installation disc that came along with the card has an option for Tv Capture, although I never gave it a try because we have RF cables over here. Also, S-Video is supposed to be better than both RF and AV, right?

I'm sorry about a mistake in my last reply. Guess I was a bit sleepy when I was replying that. Actually you need a VIVO (video in video out) card. The S-video socket on most card are for tv out. The S-Video cable that you have must be for connecting your pc to a tv. Sorry again about the mis-information.
Well, you can try install/enable the tv capture, if it can start properly, then you're in good luck. Generally VIVO enabled graphics card comes with the connector block, much like a small box with short cable that connect to the S-Video like socket on your card. On the box itself, it has multiple input and output socket for different type of connector, including composite (RCA) and S-Video.

Sorry again.

Another thing you can look into is a small external device like a universal box connector which accepts RF, A/V Composite, Composite, S/Video, and PC input, and has a PC output. I would imagine there would be boxes for HDMI now days but I haven't looked. Anotherthing which may or may not help is a KVM switch which also has video inputs for projectors. Unless you want to look up the pin outs for making a cable (might require time, soldering, and spare video game cable). I know the Sega Saturn had an option for connecting to a PC, I'm not sure about the latest consoles.The device I used to connect the sbox to the pc, using the SVideo setup costed about $29.00 USD about 5 years ago. ;)

I went mad searching for the best solution to hook my PS2 up to my LCD monitor using component av cables and finally I can make a conclusion based on all my hard work behind it. Don't go for cheap VGA boxes, you will compromise with quality. If you want to make one-time investment and want to have the best one, simply go for the XCM Mega Cool VGA Box from team xcm.
I am sure, you won't regret.
The cheapest is available over here:
http://www.play-asia.com/
You can even watch this thing working over here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by wroxtar (see edit history)

HDMI to RCA 5.1 OUTHow To Connect Ps2 Output To Pc / Monitor?

I have a STB with HDMI out. But I have RCA 5.1 home theater. Is there any device is there to convert digital to analog ? or how ? help me...Thanks advance...Note: optical out is also there. Is there any possibilities to connect digital optical into RCA 5.1 home theater?-

reply by THIRUVENGADAM