xisto Community
KillaInstincts

Best Database

Your best (free) solution would most likely be a MySQL back end with PHP scripting.

How to put it all together? Given that there are dozens of books on the subject I think a response to that is well beyond the scope of as message board reply. For the Databse I would take a look at my thread in the DB forums "Some useful database links". For Dreamweaver, run through the tutorials. They are well put together and informative.

If you have specific questions put it in a new topic and we, the members of Xisto, will do our best to give an answer.

The most common and most widely supported database software (as stated above) would be MySQL. It is also very simple to use and most web hosts (including Xisto) have some version of MySQL installed. If you are trying to make a social network, you should download Lamp or Wamp (linux/windows Apache MySQL PHP). This will give you a good starting point for your server. Once you finish it (or before depending on what you want to do) you can upload it to a professional server like Xisto as long as it includes PHP and MySQL and they are the same version that you developed the site with. The advantage of not hosting it yourself is you can keep developing, turn off your computer and avoid getting hacked. That assumes that you are planning on making a text based/usually web based social network such as Facebook, MySpace and even some parts of Xisto. If you want to go more advanced, you may need to make your own database or modify an open source one (however this is usually only for professional programmers and is very rarely done even then).Good Luck,Sparkx

I would have to agree with what's mentioned above. MySQL is by far the most common and accepted as 'best' free database software. There are others but really there isn't enough of a benefit to them to warrant using them over MySQL when there is such a wealth of information available for MySQL and how well it integrates with other technologies found commonly around the net.

What is the best free database if some one trying built a social networking website? And how to operate it with dreamweaver 8?

So, you have your answer, Mysql is the best choice for the database.Now comes the question you did not ask : how to build a social networking site.
You are familiar with dreamweaver 8, that's a good point. However, Dreamweaver will only create the html pages. You need something more in order to make your website be a social networking site.
How do you imagine such a site ? Is this organized around a forum ? Or did you already think about something more relevant ?
Yordan

MySQL is the most common choice of database for web developers, as it is the most widely available database associated with web hosting plans. I suppose you could use other ones like MSSQL, which may work better if the database server needs to be integrated with other Microsoft applications and services.When building your site, you will probably need more than just Dreameaver, since it can really only help you code the frontend and backend. You will probably need a method of connecting to your database, e.g. PHP or ASP, and an application to edit database content e.g. phpMyAdmin or Navicat.

be sure ! the best db for larg db with more than 40,000,000 records is oracel ! like : facebook.com google.com twitter.com and ....but for smaller than this : sqloracel is very fast and aql is very easy! so better to use sql.

Another point to note would be prices, where mysql is open source and free I dont know if oracle has any version that is free, and I know there full fledged versions are not as they are meant to be for the corporate world and have paid support in place. True oracle has places it shines the brightest but for personal use it isn't that feasible.

be sure ! the best db for larg db with more than 40,000,000 records is oracel ! like : facebook.com google.com twitter.com and ....
but for smaller than this : sql

oracel is very fast and aql is very easy! so better to use sql.

Are you really talking about a new software named oracel ?
Or is this simply a mistyping for Oracle ?

"Social" is a general term. If you are looking for something specifically to facilitate group communication, you might consider already existent software such as phpBB.

I have a preference for MediaWiki. I use it for structured note-taking, and find it invaluable. It can use either MySQL or PostgreSQL. I use MySQL.

It happens to have an extension which I am intrigued by, but have not yet used: SocialProfile. This contains many of the things you would want in a "come to meeting" system, tuned more for extended personal interactions than a plain bulletin board.

MySQL and MediaWiki are open source, MediaWiki is in PHP, and SocialProfile is designed to plug directly into MediaWiki. SocialProfile is GPL 2.0 licensed, is also written in PHP, has been actively developed over several years, and has a recent update (20th of September, 2008).

If you try it, please let us know how well it works! ;)

free hosting?

What does your question mean, ronny ? Do you mean that you do not understand how it works here ? Here at Xisto when you post on our forum (something else that a two-words sentence) you earn posting credits. When you have obtained ten credits you apply for free hosting.Unfortunately, your posts will be reviewed. So, if your contribution to our forum is only pollution to other's posts, your hosting will not be granted.
Regards
Yordan