xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Merovingian

Google Chrome New google web browser

So, what does everyone think about googles' new web browser idea?

https://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Will anyone be getting the beta when it's released?

Here is what one of my friends thinks of the project (from another forum). He has a BSc & MSc in computer science and information security (we're old uni mates). He usually knows his stuff when it comes to things like this.

I note that the article linked indicates Google will be using Apple's Webkit rendering engine, rather than Mozilla's Gecko engine. The article also states they'll be using elements of Firefox as well as WebKit, but I wonder what parts of Firefox they'll be using. They state they have developed their own JavaScript interpreter, though personally I think SquirrelFish, another one from the WebKit folks, is more than fast and capable enough. I really hope they're not using any Firefox UI elements, because frankly I despise the Firefox UI, especially on the Mac where Mozilla refuse to use the Apple unified window manager, Aqua, and hence Firefox looks completely out of place on the Mac desktop. I haven't looked at the specifics of this new browser, but one thing that does interest me is sandboxing of tabs. I usually have 5+ tabs or windows open at any one time and a browser crash on one of them takes them all out---a very frustrating experience. I'm interested to see what sort or resource hit there might be to this though, as obviously each tab would be less able to share application memory and thus use more exclusive memory. I'm not sure if this one feature will be enough to make my migrate from Safari though, especially given they'll be running the same renderer.

My opinion (for the interested) of the Webkit and SquirrelFish engines can be found here.

He is also a BIG apple fan!

Edited by Merovingian (see edit history)

Google using WebKit is probably the most half-assed thing they've done. Imo Presto (Opera) > webkit > *. Gecko and Trident aren't as far apart as ff users think.

Well, I first though they used their own engine, I didn't read anything on it, read the speed results with other browsers, thought oh, how cool, read further, so it just was webkit engine, I like webkit, so they just created a nice looking GUI for it on Windows, really great, it's much better to use it than Safari on Windows.. even thought I would have liked to see Swift browser using Webkit on Windows, but seems it won't happen or it will take a lot of time.In my opinion, because Chrome is very light, it is really great for most of users who just like to browse the Internet, simply as that, it's fast and looks good. :mellow: it's webkit, I really like that they didn't use gecko. :D

I really wish they have used Gecko, even with the minor bugs and stuff in it. WebKit isn't bad or anything, but I still prefer Gecko.I'm not in Windows right now so I can't try the software yet, but it looks really good. I was reading the online press conference thing and they introduce a lot of features that are similar to other browsers and an advanced JavaScript engine called V8.Hopefully this won't reduce Firefox/Safari market share by too much, and will help bring down IE.

First Impressions: -Very quick to install and do not have to answer any questions in doing so. -The startup is extremely fast. -The interface is extremely simple, with the right and necessary to navigate sites. -The browser allows import your bookmarks, search engines, the key history from Firefox and Internet Explorer. -I visited nearly all Google services, Google Maps, YouTube, Gmail, etc… and have noticed an increase in speed as well. However, on several occasions we became stuck on Gmail. -By default, if you enter a search in the address bar, you Chrome strip results from Google, but you can change it to any other form. -The version for Mac OS X is not good(not yet ready). -It has a spellchecker very fast and like FireFox, you underlined in red with the words mistakes. Unfortunately you do not detect the language of writing. ------------- OS:Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 MD:Asus P5N-E CPU:2.40GHz/Intel Quad Core Q6600 RAM:Corsair Dual Channel 4GB 800Mhz VC:XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/512MB

What I noticed:

Quick installation; a bit concerned about Privacy Policy

Startup is quite fast

Interface too simple; took a while to find File and Tools menus

Was not presented the option to import bookmarks and settings from Internet Explorer 8 or Opera 9; only Firefox

Noticeably speed increase in GMail and several Wikipedia pages

SVG <object>s are not displayed for some reason

Where is the Open command?

Waiting for Linux version to be released! I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, Aero disabled with few software installed. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo processor/4GB RAM and it seems quite fast so far. I haven't tried opening tons of tabs yet though. I still haven't found the "Mozilla Prism" feature though, where the site is launched like an app. (e.g. GMail, Facebook, etc).

I am only able to do basic internet here at work, or else I would so be trying to install the new browser. Once I get a chance to get home and install, then I will have to put more on this posting.I am a huge fan of Firefox, but I also believe that if Google Chrome is the next best thing... then I am sure I will be trying it... I just think that Explorer was the way to go... probably at the time the only way... and then Firefox came along... Everything has to evolve, and I plan on trying the new Google browser. Good topic... at least I think so.Will get back to it when I can install and then I will critique.- skedad -

I have since wrote a small quick review of the web browser: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Overall, I'm actually quite impressed with the browser. It's quick, responsive and the rendering engine is only giving me only a small amount of issues with TinyMCE's pop up window. Other than that there's really no problem.

Although, I have to admit that I'm disappointed that they only released a Windows release and that the Mac and Linux release is not out yet. Once the Linux release comes out, I bet it's like the first "broad" release of a WebKit browser on the Linux platform since Konqueror doesn't count due to the fact that it still uses KHTML and not WebKit (understandable that WebKit's genesis came from KHTML, no real point having both rendering engine on the same machine).

xboxrulz

I’ll give it a try but you can't tell much with 10 minutes of messing around. I am looking for a long term browser not just a small thing that doesn't even load JavaScript. I use Opera and I like its features and speed, but I am always up for trying new things. The download was extremely fast but the installer has been initializing for a few minutes now... The screenshots look good and the very small size just adds to it. I just wish the installer would load already lol...Using Windows XP (That’s probably the problem)From what you have seen would you say it is better then Opera or should I just stick with what works?Sparkx

Currently, the software only runs on Windows XP/Vista.It isn't a small thing that doesn't load JavaScript, in fact the JavaScript engine is much faster than other ones (or so I've been told).

I’ll give it a try but you can't tell much with 10 minutes of messing around. I am looking for a long term browser not just a small thing that doesn't even load JavaScript. I use Opera and I like its features and speed, but I am always up for trying new things. The download was extremely fast but the installer has been initializing for a few minutes now... The screenshots look good and the very small size just adds to it.
I just wish the installer would load already lol...

Using Windows XP (That’s probably the problem)

From what you have seen would you say it is better then Opera or should I just stick with what works?
Sparkx

Don't forget this isn't a final version, it's still under development and there are still a lot of features that should be added.
Anyway, I'm not realy impressed by it, It's not that different from other browsers and doesn't offer anything realy new.

Wutske, have you play around with its tab process isolation? It isolates every single tab into its own process. It's quite neat.However, I found a problem. They're using an older version of WebKit and it's creating problems with some actions on Facebook like deleting a post or some other AJAX functions.That's my only problem so far aside from those two issues I listed.xboxrulz

So from what I am hearing it is only a Windows Vista support, I see. Well, my wife has our laptop and that is the only running version of Vista at the moment. My desktop has been running, and will continue to run Windows XP until I purchase or upgrade to Vista on my desktop. It's kinda funny seeing that right before I went into work tonight, I downloaded the setup file and left it on my desktop. I guess I will not be running it... I would've found out the hard way, but I am so stubborn that I will go ahead and try it for myself... nothing like seeing things for yourself. It may give me requirements and then I will be like, ok no biggy.... I will continue to play with Firefox and Explorer.- skedad -

So from what I am hearing it is only a Windows Vista support, I see. Well, my wife has our laptop and that is the only running version of Vista at the moment. My desktop has been running, and will continue to run Windows XP until I purchase or upgrade to Vista on my desktop. It's kinda funny seeing that right before I went into work tonight, I downloaded the setup file and left it on my desktop. I guess I will not be running it...
I would've found out the hard way, but I am so stubborn that I will go ahead and try it for myself... nothing like seeing things for yourself. It may give me requirements and then I will be like, ok no biggy.... I will continue to play with Firefox and Explorer.

- skedad -

Where did you read it's Vista only ? I installed it on XP and it's working.