xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2

Just released very recently is Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2. This time, the target audience is everyone, not just web developers and web designers. More info can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I haven't tested it out yet because I'm still using Linux right now, but it doesn't sound too bad except for breaking old pages and web applications which haven't updated yet.

New features include SmartScreen filter (improved anti-phishing), Accelerators, InPrivate browser (similar to Safari's private browsing), Compatibility View (to avoid "breaking the web"), search suggestions (like Flock has) and WebSlices (something like RSS feeds but a bit better).

Reading through Wikipedia's page, it explains on what each of those things are, without having to go through complex Microsoft technical documents. Also, it states that Beta 1 acquired 0.03% market share. :mellow:

Once I reboot into Windows, I'm going to give this Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 a try and see how it works.

...Somehow I think that Microsoft is wanting developers to using IE7 mode for their web pages if they don't work in IE8...http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

So I am not so sure right now, I am just letting it download. I am using Firefox, and I have used it forever. I don't really hate or dislike Explorer, but Firefox has been very good to me, especially seeing that Explorer was going very slow on my PC when Firefox has been just truckin on.I do remember the fact that Microsoft just has to do EVERYTHING to a browser, and that is why it is just going by very slowly, but I guess there is a vast amount even for a beta tested browser.This is the new age of security and malicious materials... So there is a step that is locating malicious software... not on my PC will you find that!So I guess I will just have to give it a try... thanks for the posting!- skedad -

I have upgraded to Beta 2 and it was quite a task compared to installing regular Microsoft updates or other software.1. Remove IE 8 beta 1 if you have it installed.2. A restart is required so close all your programs, save all your work and click Restart Now when prompted.3. When rebooted into Windows, open the IE8 installer if you have it, otherwise download it.4. Let it update which is quite slow in my opinion.5. After installation, YOU NEED TO REBOOT AGAIN!!!What kind of browser needs to uninstall a previous version before upgrading? I know it is a beta, and I think one of the Opera betas did that once (not sure), but this is a bit ridiculous with all the rebooting.In addition, for Windows XP Service Pack 3 users, you have to uninstall SP3 before installing IE8 Beta 2 then reinstall SP3 if desired.The process is way too lengthy, I hope it is not like this in the actual release.

I have upgraded to Beta 2 and it was quite a task compared to installing regular Microsoft updates or other software.
1. Remove IE 8 beta 1 if you have it installed.
2. A restart is required so close all your programs, save all your work and click Restart Now when prompted.
3. When rebooted into Windows, open the IE8 installer if you have it, otherwise download it.
4. Let it update which is quite slow in my opinion.
5. After installation, YOU NEED TO REBOOT AGAIN!!!

What kind of browser needs to uninstall a previous version before upgrading? I know it is a beta, and I think one of the Opera betas did that once (not sure), but this is a bit ridiculous with all the rebooting.

In addition, for Windows XP Service Pack 3 users, you have to uninstall SP3 before installing IE8 Beta 2 then reinstall SP3 if desired.

The process is way too lengthy, I hope it is not like this in the actual release.

Good thing I read the entire thread. Would have saved me a LOT of time.

I don't think it'll be worth it to go through all of this just for a Beta. I have enough trouble just with Parallels *_*
But uh, do you think it was worth the reboot and all that? o.o

FirefoxRocks, it's normal that you have to reboot if you remove a version of Internet Explorer, it's not a standalone application like Firefox or Opera, but it's an integral part of the operating system. I'm not realy sure if I'm going to install it, I'm currentely developping some websites and I want them to be compatible with the most popular browsers available, but it's very likely that a website that works in IE8b2 is broken in IE8F :mellow:

FirefoxRocks, it's normal that you have to reboot if you remove a version of Internet Explorer, it's not a standalone application like Firefox or Opera, but it's an integral part of the operating system.
I'm not realy sure if I'm going to install it, I'm currentely developping some websites and I want them to be compatible with the most popular browsers available, but it's very likely that a website that works in IE8b2 is broken in IE8F :mellow:

Well I still think that the uninstallation part was unnecessary, but then again, it IS a beta product.

Internet Explorer 8 has advanced debugging tools similar to Safari's developer menu. I shouldn't say similar, but the tools are quite good, especially the JavaScript debugger.
And I think the standards support is finished for now, they are probably working on a few security and usability touchups, bug-fixing and finalizing the product. And remember, there is compatibility mode seeing how the page looks in IE7.

I did happen to download the beta, and I see it is running much better than 7 did. I like that is may still be in testing, so they can just fine tune what the bugs are. And they can still work on what ever else is needed, too.I am a try and true Firefox fan, but my wife uses Internet Explorer... it is nice to know that she can have something newer and updated.I will just still have to play around a little more...- skedad -

I wanted to trey it out, but the question is will everything update to IE8 on my Windows XP which has IE7? even though I'm not using it, but I just want to try it out and leave Internet Explorer 7 and thats all, because I'm happy with using Opera! :mellow:I guess it will install over it? but I'm not really sure.. Maybe it's time to use some virtual machine and just test it out on XP how it works. :D

Well.. IE isn't supposed to be so intregal. Not sure if thats for Vista or IE though..What's new in this beta? The old one was okay, but still had loads of problems like you can't do anything in the first ten seconds of opening it, and taking a while when you min/maxi-mised it.

Microsoft its loosing on the browsers carrer,firefox sill has a great advantag with his plugin system,skins and more,its faster and much more secure,i just use explorer for website testing view on the job

Internet Explorer 8 has been released for a few weeks now and I find that it is MUCH IMPROVED compared to Internet Explorer 7. The new standards support is definitely a good thing, although sites are still on the compatibility list things should hopefully improve soon.I like the colouring of the grouped tabs, it helps keep me organized. I find the Web Slices rather buggy (they don't update/can't fetch information) most of the time. I personally do not use Accelerators all that much so I can't comment on that.The overall browser is slow compared to Firefox/Flock, Safari or Chrome for some reason but the page rendering is only a tad slower than the competing browsers (results may differ for pages with double-byte characters like Chinese, Japanese, etc).Firefox is still the winner for extensibility, Flock is for social networking, Chrome is for speed, Safari is great for visual debugging and Internet Explorer still has quite a bit to catch up to even with the IE Addons.

I installed IE8 after it's release and even though I don't use it, but it works quite good, is much better than ie6 and even improved since ie7, as it now is passing the acid2 test, but of course it does not pass acid3 test, but it's really much better than earlier versions. ;]