xisto Community
Feelay

What You Need Before You Can Create A Text-based Game.. Using PHP, HTML and MySQL

Please comment and rate, after you finished reading! :mellow:

#################################################################

Change log:

Aug 22 2008: The Tutorial Was Created. V1.0.0

Aug 30 2008: Added XHTML and a small CSS part. Also corrected some small things and added this change log. V2.0.0

#################################################################

OK.. Many people here want to create text based games.

Many of you ask us here on the forums: "how to create a text-based game", or "can you do a text-based game for me".. I think you guys should try to learn some basics first, and then create one on your own.. Then you wont miss all the fun :D

I don't blame you guys.. I think that everyone, or at least many of us, want to create a text-based game. I was once like that.. I knew nothing, but pure HTML, and thought I could create a text-based game. But I was wrong.

Before I continue, I should tell you that this IS NOT a tutorial on HOW to create a text-based game. This post will only teach you what you need, to be able to create one.

The first language you should learn, is HTML, and then XHTML. I am going to give you links to both languages, and some information about them, and you'll have the opportunity to choose. Because XHTML isn't really "a must".

But it can be good to know.. So I'll give you the link for the tutorials, and then you can decide if you want to use it or not.

OK.. The HTML language.. HTML is the language that you make the page design with.. OFC I don't mean creating the pictures for you..

If I define the HTML word on Google, this is what I get:

The programming language used to create documents for display on the World Wide Web.

That should be enough, because I can't explain it better myself :P

Like I said, you should try to learn some HTML. So here's the best link I know for learning HTML:

W3Schools HTML Tutorials

but OFC.. If you don't like it, you can try Google :o

searched "tutorial:HTML" on google. Lots of other links ;)

Now that's about HTML.. it really shouldn't take that long time to learn.. maybe 1 day (about 12 hours) if you learn fast. Could take up to a week if you don't learn so fast. But don't stress! You have plenty of time learning it..

after learning HTML, XHTML if you want to.

If I define the XHTML word on Google, this is what I get;

Abbreviation for Extensible Hypertext Mark-up Language and is a hybrid of XML and HTML. Web pages designed in XHTML should look the same across all platforms.

one thing you should know though, is that you should know HTML, before you move over to XHTML.. because XHTML, is a newer version of HTML, and if you know HTML, XHTML should be easier to learn.

I can't tell exactly how long time XHTML will take to learn, but it shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 weeks. Maybe even less..

So.. here are some links..

W3schools XHTML Tutorials

WebHeadStart XHTML Tutorials

After you learn HTML/XHTML you can, if you want to, learn some about MySQL databases. Now I am not telling you that you should learn everything about it ;) but if you want to, you can at least learn what it is :P

Here is a good link :P

W3Schools, MySQL databases

Or, if that isn't enough, you can find something on Google :P.

Anyways.. When you have a basic knowledge about WHAT MySQL is, you should learn PHP.

PHP is the hard part.. If you learn REALLY fast, it can take up to 4 days, before you have basic knowledge about it.

But if you don't learn so fast, it can take 2 months, and even more, before you know the basics.

On this site, almost everything is explained about PHP. This is actually one of the best sites that I've found, that teaches PHP. They have good examples, and they explain them very good. Here you have the link ;)

Tizag PHP Tutorials

You can also find PHP/SQL tutorials on the same page. SQL is the language that you use to be able to use/insert data into databases.

Now when you learned these three things, you can continue if you want, with JavaScript and other languages. But those are just extra stuff, if you want to make advanced games, with advanced functions/design.

Also, you should try to learn CSS. That's something that will help you with the design for your page ;)

here is a link:

W3Schools CSS Tutorials

Haha :P I am sure that I missed something :P

Anyways.. I don't really know if this fits into the tutorials section.. because it isn't really a tutorial.. It just help the people out there, that's making me go mad sometimes (like I did once to other people :P)

Actually, I don't really know if it fits here either. If it don't, I am sorry, and can an Admin or Moderator please move it to the right place :P

From now on.. you can't say that you didn't find anything when you searched :P.. Because here you go. It is rare to find someone that will make the game for you. It is better if you learn to make this by your own.. If you don't want to create your own game, you shouldn't have one (sorry for making it sound mean, but that's how life is =/). Stop asking "How to create a text-based game". Because here you go.. more than this, people wont tell you. They will just tell you to go and learn on your own ;).

If you have any questions about this, or if you find anything spelled wrong, tell me, and I'll correct them :P

Please be kind and respect that I've made this tutorial, and that it took some time. I would appreciate if you don't copy this, and paste it on other sites, and say that you made it by yourself. because you didn't.

And thank you for commenting and rating :P

V 2.0.0

Made By Feelay

More will be added, depending on the comments. Also, more links will be added. If I find a good one, I'll add it. Also, if you want a link, to be added, that you find good, just tell me, and I'll add it ;)

Best Wishes //Feelay

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

Good point stated.However I would recommend learning the PHP scripting language first before learning about MySQL databases, it makes more sense that way.Also, without CSS your game would be plain and probably ugly :mellow:

One thing I would reccomend is not rushing it. Learning each component should take a little time and one should make sure they feel comfortable before moving onto the next. Simply learning the bare basics could lead to being confused when needing to use two or more of the pieces of technology in conjunction with one another later on in the process leading to convoluted problems where you aren't even sure what is going wrong. You don;t need to master each but being able to use any without looking at reference guides 100% of the time would be a very good idea. this is especially crucial if you intend to create a more complex game as having issues with your html when you are dealing with relatively complex php will simply cause problems that could be easily avoided by a little practice.

I'd rather define (X)HTML as a language that you use to organise data and content, it's more a structural language. The design of a website should be made with CSS.Anyway, this should be a nice sticky :mellow:

I've changed some things in the tutorial now ;)

Good point stated.

However I would recommend learning the PHP scripting language first before learning about MySQL databases, it makes more sense that way.

It depends from person, to person ;) I prefer to learn about the soft wares and things, that I am going to use, before I move over to the more complex things.

Done

Also, without CSS your game would be plain and probably ugly wink.gif

I don't know CSS yet, but thanks for pointing that out :D

Done

One thing I would recommend is not rushing it. Learning each component should take a little time and one should make sure they feel comfortable before moving onto the next. Simply learning the bare basics could lead to being confused when needing to use two or more of the pieces of technology in conjunction with one another later on in the process leading to convoluted problems where you aren't even sure what is going wrong. You don;t need to master each but being able to use any without looking at reference guides 100% of the time would be a very good idea. this is especially crucial if you intend to create a more complex game as having issues with your html when you are dealing with relatively complex php will simply cause problems that could be easily avoided by a little practice.

Thanks for the comment :o And yeah. that's true ;) Listen to that guy ;)

I'd rather define (X)HTML as a language that you use to organise data and content, it's more a structural language.

in w3schools, they say that XHTML is a stricter and cleaner version of HTML. I'm going to add somethings to the tutorial. (CSS, and make them choose between HTML and XHTML).

Done

Anyway, this should be a nice sticky ;)

haha ;) why not make it a rule to read this before people ask about how to make their own text game :mellow::P

Thanks for all your comments :P

Best Wishes

//Feelay

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)