xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shotgun

Dreaweaver The Best? Give your opinion

Hi, I have been wandering if dreamweaver is the best software to create your webpage, and had been using it since a year and I hadn't have any problem at all with it, but is this the best, please consider in recommending other for me to try. Thanks, Greeting :mellow:

I would also like suggestions on the best current HTML WYSIWYG program. I have been using FrontPage 2003 for many years now but since I upgraded to Vista I’m having problems. When I try to publish any files to Xisto I get the following error:An error occurred accessing your Windows SharePoint Services files. Authors – if authoring against a Web Server, please contact the Webmaster for the server’s Web site. Webmasters – please see the server’s application event log for more details.I have searched Google and found no specific solution besides check your event logs which in this case doesn’t really help me that much. I am fairly certain the problem is on my end and considering Microsoft has discontinued the FrontPage line of products, its time for me to look at another solution. There are only two features that I really like in FrontPage, ease of use and the counter. If I go off of FrontPage then I will have to create manual CGI counters which at this point I am not looking forward to, but will do. I also like the simple editor. I’m not after very powerful editing but I would like built in publishing.

I am not a huge critic, and I have only tried a few webpage creator. I have tried like Trelix web, and then I have moved on to Frontpage. I did not seem to have a problem with Frontpage until I downloaded and began using Firefox. It was not working that well with my Frontpage, so I was trying to find a way to have it work compatible with it. I was not successful then. I was then able to get a copy of Macromedia Dreamweaver, and even though I was still novice with it, I found that I was able to do a lot of stuff that Frontpage did, and it was working wonderfully with my newfound Mozilla Firefox. So at that point, I went on with using Dreamweaver.I have only had actual educational training with Dreamweaver, and it was to help boost my usage. I have tried a Frontpage class at my college, but it was too by the book, and it was not helping me anymore than I already knew. So I still felt like sticking with Dreamweaver.I had a copy of educational version of Dreamweaver. And it came with A LOT of extensions. I have only really installed ones that I figured I would either really use, or have an idea from just looking at the file, or a little research. But I liked that idea that I could start customizing my copy of Dreamweaver to work for me... and I am still looking for more and more extensions... It's like the equivalent to finding filters and plugins for Photoshop.So I would have to say to my knowledge, that it is the best... for me. And if I happen to find more on other programs on this site or other web sites, I will try to find out more.- skedad -

I like dreamweaver and think it is a great program but it has a big price tag. Also there are much better things for beginners. I once use a web site builder call Blue Voda and I loved it. It was really easy to throw a good site together in a couple off hours BUT then to the free website build Blue Voda was that you had to use there website hosting with was a huge disappointment because I didn't want to use there hosting. I have never used FrontPage but I heard it was a good program.

Yes, DreamWeaver is the best WYSIWYG page creation software. Understand though that it is a professional level application and though some of the basic functions are easy it also has a tremendous amount of depth to it. Additionally its tight integration with other Adobe products such as Photoshop and Flash can come in rather handy. There are certainly other applications out there though I am not aware of any that easily allow the creation of dynamic content, particularly in such a wide array of programming options. DreamWeaver and ColdFusion are an amazing combination as well.

Omg, I can't believe my eyes ... Frontpage x/ . It's the worst WYSIWYG application ever, it's complete lack of standards makes that they only work in Internet Explorer and that is something that is not acceptable in the era. Personaly, I still prefer Notepad++ for creating websites, knowing your code is very important when debugging a website or making it compliant with the W3C standards.Anyway, if you start developping webpage, Dreamweaver is the best choise :mellow:

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

When i first started out i used notepad, which quickly became a problem because i didn't know much about HTML or CSS. So I switched to Microsoft Front Page and it was ok for a while, until Mozilla started to become popular and other browsers emerged. I quickly found out that Front Page was mainly compatible with Internet Explorer, but worse with most other browsers. You really have to code the HTML correctly for it to be compliant. So eventually I switched to Abode's Dreamweaver, which was very compliant with and up to date with HTML and CSS standards. Every time I'm working on a new web project, i make sure that i preview the work on the 3 main browsers me and my user use, Mozilla, IE and Safari. I think it depends on the person and what they feel comfortable with, when they are coding HTML. I know some people are pros and know every aspect of HTML, so they can use notepad with ease. While people like me need a WYSIWUG editor to make everything easier and i do admit that i need help with some of the tags, because i don't have the time to memorize or learn everything. But i totally recommend DReamweaver, there's even a 30 days trial for those who aren't sure they should try it out. Good Luck.--> Efrain was here