xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Opensuse Issues

I know it isn't only openSuSE that this issue applies to, but currently I am trying openSuSE and I am having problems. I thought I got the hang of using Linux by using the terminal in Ubuntu, but I guess not. Now that I know Ubuntu is a Debian-kernel system, I found out that Debian is probably the most easy to use, and other types of Linux systems are probably harder to use than Debian.

Now can anyone tell me the equivalent options on openSuSE for a specific command on Debian GNU/Linux?

Here is an example of what I encountered:

By default, openSuSE includes the K Desktop Environment (KDE), so that doesn't include gedit. I needed to edit the menu.lst file as soon as I installed the operating system, so I thought I could use pico. Turns out that pico wasn't installed, so I thought I could install pico by typing in apt-get install pico on a root account. Turns out that apt-get isn't available.

After several minutes of digging around on the kmenu, I found the Install option, which was similar to Synaptic Package Manager on Ubuntu. From there I searched for Pico, and installed it successfully.

Next issue, YouTube (and other Flash content). Loading up Konqueror, I visited http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and expected Flash to be installed in openSuSE. Wrong. I had to download Flash from the Adobe website in RPM format. After downloading the RPM, I double clicked it and it seemed to install, but Konqueror didn't show any videos. Firefox initially showed a blank gray square but after several restarts of the application it worked fine. Googling around I was instructed to Scan for new Plugins on Konqueror. The only problem with that is that there was no plugins tab on Konqueror's configuration panel.

Final issue, shutting down. This should be easy, right? The GUI option had no problem. However, this command doesn't work:

CONSOLE
sudo shutdown -P 0
It doesn't know what shutdown is!!! How does it expect me to shutdown the computer when running from Konsole?

All in all, Linux is great. For ease of use, I would recommend a Debian based system with a GNOME desktop environment. Other ones are just too advanced for the average user to figure out. I still have lots to learn. (I still can not mount, access or read the Windows partition on a regular user!)

Now can anyone tell me the equivalent options on openSuSE for a specific command on Debian GNU/Linux?

Here is an example of what I encountered:

By default, openSuSE includes the K Desktop Environment (KDE), so that doesn't include gedit. I needed to edit the menu.lst file as soon as I installed the operating system, so I thought I could use pico. Turns out that pico wasn't installed, so I thought I could install pico by typing in apt-get install pico on a root account. Turns out that apt-get isn't available.

you want zypper instead of apt-get

Next issue, YouTube (and other Flash content). Loading up Konqueror, I visited http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and expected Flash to be installed in openSuSE. Wrong. I had to download Flash from the Adobe website in RPM format. After downloading the RPM, I double clicked it and it seemed to install, but Konqueror didn't show any videos. Firefox initially showed a blank gray square but after several restarts of the application it worked fine. Googling around I was instructed to Scan for new Plugins on Konqueror. The only problem with that is that there was no plugins tab on Konqueror's configuration panel.

in Konqueror did you try looking in the tools->Konquror settings? IIRC that is where it is (I don't have KDE sitting in front of me :/ sorry)

Final issue, shutting down. This should be easy, right? The GUI option had no problem. However, this command doesn't work:

CONSOLE
sudo shutdown -P 0
It doesn't know what shutdown is!!! How does it expect me to shutdown the computer when running from Konsole?
Well did you check your path?

Usually this command is only for super users and it is stored in /sbin, but even if you do add the path to $PATH you may not be able to run it as a normal user.

in Konqueror did you try looking in the tools->Konquror settings? IIRC that is where it is (I don't have KDE sitting in front of me :/ sorry)

That's where I looked.

Well did you check your path?Usually this command is only for super users and it is stored in /sbin, but even if you do add the path to $PATH you may not be able to run it as a normal user.

Notice the sudo command preceding it. That should mean superuser, right? But even under a root terminal, I can't run it.

That's where I looked.

umm it has been too long since i last used kde, sorry outta ideas then, but i swear there is where it was :/ guess i am losing it...

Notice the sudo command preceding it. That should mean superuser, right? But even under a root terminal, I can't run it.

open a root terminal and type
echo $PATH
is /sbin listed? if not add it, if it is, do ls /sbin and see if it is there, if so
chmod +x /sbin/shutdown
if not there... then OpenSUSE phails :mellow:

OK, temporarily forget the sudo. Concerning the shutdown command, I would have a look that way :1) type :su - root(You will be prompted for the root password). This will give you the full root environment and administrative rights for the rest of your command line session.2) Have a look to verify that shutdown is available, type :type shutdown(Yes, you must key the words "type shutdown", this will show you where the "shutdown" command currently is.3) Type the following command :shutdown -g 0 now -h(I don't know the -P option in shutdown, I use mines.) This should power down the system.