xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Game'istaan - Game Development Contest @ Niit

EDIT: Screenshots of the new Release

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here goes the link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A game development contest named, Game'istaan started on the 5th of this month at NIIT, India. Each of the teams (max 3 students per team) need to submit their entries by the 4th of september. The coding can be done in C++, J2ME, FLASH or C#. I went for C# which was not among the list, initially. It was introduced because very few (just us in our zone) opted for C++. The game I am developing is 'Bomber Man'. Currently, the game resembles the classic NES game.

I haven't used DirectX because I wasn't sure if it would be fair to use it against the other languages. So, the whole game is rendered by GDI+. Also, the .NET framework doesn't have a class that would allow two or more sounds to be played simultaneously. The sound engine being used is a toned down version of an example at CodeProject.

The current version can be downloaded from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. The game is in The Bomber Man directory.

Controls cannot be configured yet and only 1 stage is playable. The default controls are given below:-

Movement: Up, Down, Left, Right

Place Bomb: D

Detonate Bomb: A

Start/Pause: Enter

I would like to know your opinion on the current version. Also, if anybody knows of any library that will allow simultaneous execution of two or more sounds. For example, when a chain of bombs go off, multiple sounds should be played. The current version will only play 1 sound. The example provided at codeproject works fine if you play multiple sounds in a Console Application, but it shows various unmanaged code exceptions when doing so in a Windows Forms Application.

Requirements

- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or Higher

Differences from the final release

The flame length (length of the explosion) in the current stage is a powered up version. In the final release, the users will have to begin with one that can only span one block. A detonator will be available in 3rd or 4th stage. Before that, the bombs will go off in 2 seconds. Only 1 Bomb will be plantable by default. Bombpass will be obtainable from a powerup.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

The game's performance has significantly increased following the complete recoding from the scratch.

Here goes the link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Requirements: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher

Summary of New Features

> Game Controls can now be configured

> High scores are saved

> 50 predefined stages

> Add/Customize the stages

> Adjust volume levels

> Adjust screen resolution & other video settings

New Release v 1.4.0.0

This is the final release and it contains new features such as different tiles for the concrete and empty blocks, support for saving/viewing online scores, a game summary after Game Over which shows the number of enemies you have killed, bricks you have blown up and their combo bonuses. This version also offers three difficulty modes - Easy, Normal & Hard. A starfield background can be seen throughout the menus.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)