xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flamez

Xml Needed? Is XML required for a text based game?

Given that text based games have existed long before XML became a buzzword the short answer is no.

Dependant upon the type of game you are trying to create XML may be a good option for some things. It certainly would be taking a look at the W3Schools XML page to see the capabilities and limitations of XML and if could help you.

Toby, SQL is a language and just like any other language be it PHP, ASP, HTML or Java it holds no data in of itself. I am fairly certain you intended to say MySQL. I simply point this out for any who are unaware of the distinction.

Storing data in XML format is useful in certain cases, but a waste of time in others. I don't think there's any situations where XML data storage is "required" (namely that it can't be done another way). From personal experience, MySQL databases (and I would imagine other databases, although I've never tried them) work wonders for things such as text games.I'm starting work on actually turning my design draft in to reality for a game of my own, and I've no intention currently to use XML in terms of storing data. Naturally things will vary from project to project, but I won't be using it. Don't let that stop you from deciding for yourself, though, and as Darasen said you should certainly have a look for yourself at what XML can and can't do and whether it'd help you in your project.