xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

Keyboard Video Mouse Switch Heres how I use it...

When I built my new system, I kept my old one in tact. I partitioned the drive and loaded Linux (Fedora Core) on it for fun and learning. Of course I kept WinXP installed with all of my old files but I didn't have room for 2 computers so I got a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switch. This allows me to use one keyboard, one monitor, and one mouse for two computers! They have switches for more than 2 computers which would be great if you have a number of servers running but obviously don't need I/O devices for each of them. Well, I do a lot of web development and the old computer has older versions of IE and Netscape as well a Linux installation of FireFox and Mozilla. Switching between WinXP and Linux requires a restart but with a double click of the "Scroll Lock" key, I can switch between my new computer and whatever OS is running on my old computer.Since both computers are on my home network, I can share files between them (assuming both are currently running Windows) and can use the one to back up important files from the other.Given the huge differences between browsers versions and and of course different browsers, it is very helpful to be able to check a website in multiple browsers and versions.I suppose if I had several computers all running different OS's, I would benefit if I bought a KVM switch that would share I/O for all of them.Do you have a KVM switch?How do you use it?

KVMs can be very useful, but I tend not to use 2 desktops at the same time since that'll use too much electricity. For me, I switch between my laptop and desktop by having both of them running at the same time. The laptops takes a lot less energy to power even when it's revved to fastest. So for me, KVMs are quite useless.xboxrulz

I used to have one just for the monitor so I could switch the display between two computers. Sometimes the switch causes the signal quality of the computer-monitor connection to be degrade, in same cases causing the screen to become more 'yellow' then the image actually is.