xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cypher

Adding Downloads Can my website support downloads?

I have read through some of the main rules saying how you cant host downlaods, illegal downloads, links to warez, and all the crap nobody with any decency will touch anyway, and I was wondering about regular downloads.On my site, I planned on hosting some of the material I make, Short movies, Animations, Games, Music, thigns like that, am I allowed to host these?Each of my files would be, at max about seven to nine megabytes, This is really the main reason for wanting a site, to share all my stuff with other people, and get critisim from them on different aspects of my work. All of my stuff is freeware, and created by me, or people whose consent I have recieved to host their material (My friends in real life, etc)So am I allowed to host these downloads?

YOu can host files that are yours and are legal. SO if the movie/music/ whatever is made by you then you're allowed to host it.Just giving you a tip, that it will take some of your bandwith when you host downloads and movies. :)

some one beat me to telling you and i agree with mario.. And i once had a song uploaded.. it was only about 1mb and like my bandwidth was all gone in a week..

Edited by Becca (see edit history)

Thanks for that, I was confused on the subject, and I didnt wanna put up a download and lose my account. Wow Becca, that must have been a very popular song, to lose all your bandwidth in a week. Do you still host the song?

it's better to have those things hosted in a server which can handle heavy bandwidth. although i have a downloads section on my site, these are just a listing of links i have going to a separate server.

GIVE ME A +REP, and i'll share a link which can host your files up to 30MB each, and unlimited number of downloads. :D heheheĆ¼ just kidding about the rep thing, it's april fools day anyway! :D but the hosting server is not a prank, it's true:

Manual: This is a short manual introducing you to our free-service. It is our philosophy to offer new PC-users, elder humans and people having problems with complicated software or routers an absolutely-easy-to-use possibility to send files to other people. Thats the reason why you do not have to sign-up in order to use our service. You just need to click on "Browse" and select a local file on your hard-disk. Then just click the "Upload!"-button and wait. Uploading might take from a few seconds up to 30 minutes, depending on your internet-connection and the file-size. Actually we are offering files up to 30.000.000 bytes in size. This is quite a lot. After upload has finished, you will get the download-link and the delete-link instantly. You can now give the download-link to people or include it in postings in your favourite forums. Thats the whole thing. Easy, isn't it? It doesn't matter at all, if you just expect one download of your file or over 100.000 downloads. We will host your file forever, until you delete it or it is unused for 30 days. So if nobody downloads your file for 30 days, its deleted automatically.

THIS is the link. Enjoy! :)

The bad thing about the link posted above is that the files cannot be embeded in your website so your visitors will need to follow and outside link to get them. Bigger files may also make them wait in line for a turn to download.

If you create something, then you have all legal rights to it (assuming you haven't given/sold/otherwise transferred them to someone else), and you are free to do as you will with it - give it away for free, charge for it, exchange it for something, or whatever. It would be wise to note that the content is your intellectual property, otherwise it may be deleted or your account suspended/terminated with the assumption you are hosting copyrighted material that isn't yours.