xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Link To Other Computers

I am having trouble creating symbolic links to another computer on Ubuntu.

This is what I want to do (erm, sort of):

~/Music -> 192.168.0.194/media/OS/Users/FirefoxRocks/Music
or

/home/vincent/Music -> 192.168.0.194/media/OS/Users/FirefoxRocks/Music
or even

/media/qdrive -> 192.168.0.194/media

This is what I have tried:

CONSOLE
firefoxrocks@ubuntu-desktop: sshfs user@192.168.0.194:/media/OS /media/qdrive

and

CONSOLE
firefoxrocks@ubuntu-desktop: ln -s \\192.168.0.194 /media/qdrive

The first one says read: Connection reset by peer and the second one creates invalid links.

Is there a command to do this?

Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

I am having trouble creating symbolic links to another computer on Ubuntu.

This is what I want to do (erm, sort of):

~/Music -> 192.168.0.194/media/OS/Users/FirefoxRocks/Music
or

/home/vincent/Music -> 192.168.0.194/media/OS/Users/FirefoxRocks/Music
or even

/media/qdrive -> 192.168.0.194/media

This is what I have tried:

CONSOLE
firefoxrocks@ubuntu-desktop: sshfs user@192.168.0.194:/media/OS /media/qdrive

and

CONSOLE
firefoxrocks@ubuntu-desktop: ln -s \192.168.0.194 /media/qdrive

The first one says read: Connection reset by peer and the second one creates invalid links.

Is there a command to do this?

This guide found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ should help you.

How to mount a remote ssh filesystem using sshfs October 28, 2005

Posted by Carthik in ubuntu.

SSH is protocol to transfer files securely. Like FTP, but more secure. Many hosting services offer their client the ability to remotely login to their hosting account using ssh. Transferring files to an from an ssh account can be done using the scp command. However, it would be neat if you could mount a remote folder that you can access using ssh on your local computer, so that you can access files on an ssh account just like they were local files on your pc, right? Well now you can! Mount a folder in an ssh account, edit the files locally and save the files, and the file on the ssh server changes too! Isnât it awesome!!!

We will use sshfs to acheive our goal. The following guide will step you through the process of mouting file systems over ssh on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy systems.

sshfs:

sshfs is a filesystem client based on the SSH File Transfer Protocol.

Since most SSH servers already support this protocol it is very easy to

set up: i.e. on the server side thereâs nothing to do. On the client

side mounting the filesystem is as easy as logging into the server with

ssh.

Install sshfs by doing a:

$sudo apt-get install sshfs

This will also install fuse-utils and libfuse2, which are required.

Now, let us create a local directory where you want the files mounted. You should create the directory and make yourseld the owner of the directory:

$sudo mkdir /media/dir-name

$sudo chown your-username /media/dir-name

Where âdir-nameâ is the name of the directory on your local computer where you want to access the files from the remote computer. Say I want the files on the server to be available at /media/home-pc. I want this because the âserverâ in this case is the desktop I have at home, which allows me to access it through ssh. Let us use âhome-pcâ as an example for this guide. âyour-usernameâ is your username on the local computer.

Go to System->Administration->Users and Groups, select the group âfuseâ and then add yourself to this group.

If you prefer to do it the easy way, on the commandline, then use

$sudo adduser your-username fuse

I donât want to provide a terminal command for adding yourself to a group since there doesnât seem to be an easy way to add yourself or any user to a group. The only command I know of is the usermod -G command and for this command, you need to list all the groups the user should belong too, even the ones that he/she is already a member of! Anyone know any better on how to add a user to a new group, without having to know what groups he/she is already a member of?

Thanks Shot.

For security reasons, the /usr/bin/fusermount binary is installed in such a way that users cannot execute it. You will have to log out and log in again, to add yourself to the group âfuseâ.

Once you have done the above, you can use sshfs to mount the directory you need on the remote host to your local system!

For example, say I want to mount the â/stuffâ directory on my home-run server, which has the domain name âexample.comâ. I would do it by executing the following command:

$sshfs example.com:/stuff /media/home-pc

Where â/stuffâ is the folder on the computer with the domain name âexample.comâ, which I want to mount and access on my local computer at the location /media/home-pc. Remember that the /media/home-pc directory must exist and be owned by you, the user. I already mentioned how to do this in the initial part of this guide.

If you get the following error:

fusermount: fuse device not found, try âmodprobe fuseâ first

You will have to load the fuse module by doing:

$sudo modprobe fuse

You can add fuse to the modules that are loaded on startup by editing the file /etc/modules and adding a line with only the word âfuseâ in it, at the end.

and then issue the sshfs command above again.

To unmount the directory once your work is done, use the command:

$fusermount -u

for example, in my case, I would use

$fusermount -u /media/home-pc

I tried doing that. I am successfully added myself to the fuse group, but somehow it still says read: Connection reset by peer. If you read the commands I have tried, you'll see that it is the same one in the guide that you provided (which I followed before posting this topic).

Any other commands/ideas?

[P.S. Please quote text when you are copying from other sources.]

Well, my Linux is awful! So I'll concentrate on non-Linux based problems...Assuming that you are using a LAN since the IP addresses are those commonly used be default in most routers I may have a possible cause.Let's assume that you are accessing one computer on your network as your Apache server. You probably had to either forward HTTP request to that computer or set that computer as your DMZ. As a result, the router knows what to do with HTTP requests. You may need to tell it how to allow connection to your symbolic links. My guess is that either your router's firewall is blocking the request or the router doesn't understand how to handle the request.This may or may not be helpful. I'm sorry, it is the only thing I can think of.vujsa

Well, my Linux is awful! So I'll concentrate on non-Linux based problems...
Assuming that you are using a LAN since the IP addresses are those commonly used be default in most routers I may have a possible cause.

Let's assume that you are accessing one computer on your network as your Apache server. You probably had to either forward HTTP request to that computer or set that computer as your DMZ. As a result, the router knows what to do with HTTP requests. You may need to tell it how to allow connection to your symbolic links. My guess is that either your router's firewall is blocking the request or the router doesn't understand how to handle the request.

This may or may not be helpful. I'm sorry, it is the only thing I can think of.

vujsa

I am using a wireless network and Apache isn't set up on either computer. I have also tried creating a symbolic link to the computer running on Vista instead of Ubuntu 8.04, but it still doesn't work.

If the remote computer is running Linux, I can access it using telnet or vncviewer, but if the remote computer is booted into Vista, I can access it in Nautilus as well as through LogMeIn.

In Nautilus, creating a symbolic link does not work because it thinks I want to put the link on the remote system. But perhaps mounting the remote computer to /media/qdrive would allow me to create a link from there?