xisto Community
JasPuneet

Free Site

Hmmm, it looks interesting, however, it doesn't look like you can do a lot of customization with your site, Google only provides three different themes. Also, it doesn't look like you can upload your own files, there is probably no support for PHP or MySQL either, so I'll pass. However, if anyone finishes the registration process, and Google Sites actually turns out to be a valuable Free Hosting Service (Im not 100 Percent sure, I looked at the sign up page and decided not to go through with it) please reply in this thread with details. Also, how new is Google Sites, I have never heard of it before.

Edited by LegallyHigh (see edit history)

I don't like it. Google has a reputation for bad (X)HTML and this tool doesn't seem to remedy that problem. Although I haven't actually USED it (I have an account there), I still prefer creating my own HTML pages, which can include PHP and MySQL as well as lots of other advanced features.This may be good for beginners, but it certainly isn't good for web designers and developers. I even think that Dreamweaver is better than this.

OK folks, but you have to remember that google does not aim at the crowd we represent. Quotes from their website include "Single-click page creation", "No HTML required". For me it's quite obvious they've designed the service for people who find things like myspace too limited, while having no knowledge or time to create a full blown website of their own. It's kind of a one-stop-shop for a somebody who feels a need for his own place on the Net, perhaps for school-related activities as well. I believe that for people who can't divert a lot of resources (time/money/learning) into this, it's a invaluable service. And with google provides it for free, we can't really blame them it's simple.

i think its not good..its painfull to type and check ur code while you are online..why not try zymic.com or geocities.com..zymic provides 6000mb space,,5 sql databases,php hosting..all for free..geocities provides 15mb web space with your file manager to upload html,applet pages

Hi,I trust google. I think they will do the best. It must be a new service they are developping. If you have any suggestions for the hosting service it will be good to mail it to the google. Google will take care of it. Thanx

As far as i know the Google Sites service is also included with all versions of the Google Apps service, which i use for a while and i'm happy with it, but some months ago i tried this application -Google Sites- and only to say that i don't like it, so finally i disable it from my Google Apps.

In my opinion while it is very easy to use on the other side it is very difficult to edit and customize your pages in the way you want, it does not support any type of server side language like php, you can't use databases like mysql with it, etc.

BTW, Google offers another service for creating your web site called Google Page Creator, the difference is that while Google Sites is oriented to groups of people, families or companies Google Page Creator is oriented to individuals.

Both services are very similar and includes almost the same functionalities.

Best regards,

At a first glance, google site looks good for personal user.
If anyone wish to create web site but do not know how to scripting.
The google site is one of a choose.

It also provide many google components for insert to the page you created.
So, speed up the pages of creation.

Beside that, you also change almost color and setting on a typical web page
such as background image and background color.

And the most important is, you can point a domain name to it so
shorter the domain name.

This is url I just created.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Nothing for now and soon will place some stuffs to it as I work with it.

P.S. I have just checked out the Google Page Creator also.
But seems that this service was stopped and replaced by the Google Sites.

Edited by magiccode9 (see edit history)

What I particularly hate on this site is that you cannot delete a file. Once you have uploaded a file and you realize that you did not want to make this file public, there is no way to remove it from your google site.

I just test if it is possible to delete a page created with google sites and as magiccode9 said it can be done without any problem, so, yordan, please can you explain us your situation.best regards,

I just test if it is possible to delete a page created with google sites and as magiccode9 said it can be done without any problem, so, yordan, please can you explain us your situation.
best regards,

I was talking about jpg images. You can add images to your webpages.
In order to do that you upload images into your google site folder.
If you change your mind and don't want to use these images any more, you can remove the html pages, but you cannot remove the jpg files. You can upload pictures but you cannot delete them after uploading.

I was talking about jpg images. You can add images to your webpages.

In order to do that you upload images into your google site folder.

If you change your mind and don't want to use these images any more, you can remove the html pages, but you cannot remove the jpg files. You can upload pictures but you cannot delete them after uploading.

Well yordan please don't be mad with me ok? but i think that you are not using the last version of the Google Sites service because i just try it and with the version i do it, it is possible to delete any uploaded file of your site.

The process i follow for this test was:

Click on the Create a new page button, on the Create New Page form opened after that, i gave it a Page Name, select the Web Page option and where to put it within my site, then finally i press the Create Page button to create my new web page. After that it will open my newly created page in edit mode.

In my page i first click on the content section of it and then i click on the Insert menu and select the Image option from it.

On the Add an Image dialog opened i click the Browse button and select an image to upload, finally i press the Add Image button to upload it to my site and return to my page to continue edit it.

At this point you will see the page with the just uploaded image selected with a menu below it with where you have the option to select it's alignment (Left, Center, Right), it's size (Small, Medium, Large, Original), it's wrapping mode (On, Off), a Remove link and a Close link. For this test i did not change any choice and i simply click outside the image to deselect it and continue editing the page. Finally i save the page by pressing the Save button to exit the Edit mode.

I press the Edit Page button to enter again to Edit mode, i click over the image to select it, and finally on the menu opened below it i press the Remove link to delete it

Finally i press the Save Page button to confirm the changes i made and quits Edit mode.

Thats it

I remember that this issue happens before with the Page Creator service but i also test it a minutes before and right now you can also delete your uploaded files from Page Creator too. To do this simply click on the Trash icon that appears at the right side of the file.

Best regards,

Well yordan please don't be mad with me ok? but i think that you are not using the last version of the Google Sites service because i just try it and with the version i do it, it is possible to delete any uploaded file of your site.

Sorry, you are right.I see that now there is a trash can besides my jpg file, and now when you click the file disappears.
Thanks a lot. Now I will stop saying bad things concerning google pages, now it works like I want it to do.