xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TBK

Greatly Reduce Firefox's Memory Usage

This is for people that use firefox. It apparently works on all versions of Firefox, but I have only tested it on Firefox 3. Now, what this does: This program reduces the amount of memory that firefox uses. So, when I load firefox, it takes up about 30k of memory. When this program loads, it only takes a max of 1.5k. It also only takes max of 1k memory to run this little program. That's 28k you get to use elsewhere. It's a very handy program for reducing memory.

Download Link:

http://felipex.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/firefox-ultimate-optimizer-11.zip
Installing:

- Extract the files onto your desktop.
- Run Firefox Ultimate Optimizer.exe

That's it. As long as you don't delete it, it'll automatically make itself run.

eNJOY :mellow:

Wow! Thank you very much for this. When ive tried to run firefox + itunes + photoshop + dreamweaver + flash + football manager + .. or something like that.. the amount of memory my computer uses goes through the roof!and well.. every little helps (as the tesco advert says lol). so maybe, with the help of this my computer might not get laggy after a couple of hours! :mellow:

I'm sorry if I sound paranoid or offensive, but I am not trusting direct download links from a forum to a ZIP/EXE file.Can you explain how it works or where it comes from? Will it automatically load at startup to "automatically make itself run"? Are there extra components that could be potentially malicious to the computer?Googling the filename doesn't bring up trusted sites for the download, so I'm not so sure about this.

I am going to have to agree with FFR on this one. Additionally visiting the root site I find it isn't in English thus, I have no idea what it says about the program where the program comes from or any other information. TBK (take no offence please) is obviously a bit misinformed as Firefox takes more than 30k of memory closer to 30 thousand K at the least. So a bit of looking around seems to reveal that none of the more reputable download repositories carry the software. I typically consider that to be a bad sign. A bit further looking seems to indicate that this will not decrease CPU use (as one site claimed) but increase it instead. The program merely sets up a virtual memory space for Firefox.

It's even illogical that the memory needed for Firefox will just disappear, in that case I believe that Firefox development team would already have done this optimization, even though I didn't downloaded it and tested, but what I believe it will only foul people that they saved some RAM, but I think that the CPU usage will rise, because instead it will be used and it should have some virtual cache or something, this means your hard drive will increase working and it will be even slower than loading it from the RAM, even though I'm not sure, but thats usually what those RAM optimization and etc. programs due, they do a little clean up and when you try to open the window again or something, you just hear the HDD working and making slower to work.. I guess on new computers with fats and good HDD the trick works, but in my opinion if you have a good computer you should have at least 1 GB of RAM, recommended 2 GB of RAM and I would say that 4 GB is just what you need, especially if you're working with programs which use a lot of memory, like Autocad and etc. when working on some Project. :mellow: