xisto Community
aqaing

Xp Service Pack 3

Having exhausted the many possible workarounds to get a Vista Business Edition Dell computer to recognise my network hosted by an XP computer (when it did originally, until I relocated the broadband router), I took Mr. Microsoft's advice and installed SP3 on the XP machine. According to him the Vista machine needed to find Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) on the host, and if it couldn't find it then "Unidentified network, local only". So, being a believing soul, I downloaded and installed SP3 on the XP machine. Result? Now not only can I still not get rid of the unidentified network problem, I now find that the "search" and the "help and support" services in the start menu don't work any longer, and I can't print emails from Outlook Express. According to Mr. MS I have to enable LLTD first, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the network connection panel. I have sidestepped the email problems by installing Mozilla, but I am seriously beginning to wonder if I've done something to irritate Mr. Microsoft. I used to think I was fairly computer literate, but he has me beaten on this one. Anyone out there any good ideas?i think thatEven though SP3 claims to have LLTD, it doesn't. Use this article to get LLTD on your computer.Is the network in Vista set to Private or Public? Right-click Network on the Start menu and select Properties.

Wrong forum, aqaing ! I move it here, where it will most probably find an answer.Personally, I hate vista, and I hope SP3 will never be installed by the automatic update processing including with my current XP SP2 install. :mellow:

SP3 didn't make a noticeable difference on my computer. I have Windows Vista Home Edition and it sees the Windows XP computer just fine (in Windows XP only though, I also have Ubuntu installed, which I can't configure Samba correctly).Ensure that Network Discovery is turned on, set the Network to Private and rename the Unidentified Network to something else.

Ensure that Network Discovery is turned on, set the Network to Private and rename the Unidentified Network to something else.

Where is the menu for turning Network discovery to on ?