xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darkken

Dungeons And Dragons 4th Edition Hear you thoughts about the new edition

So i played Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition last week and found it to be interesting. The totally changed the system around so there wouldnt be anymore soloing campaigns with a wizard that has every spell prepared for any encounter. They have made the base melee classes actually worth playing. Examples: A fight has the abilities to keep the enemy on him and if the enemy tries to get to another player near the fighter gets a free action to attack; also paladins can cast spells on the enemy that slow the enemy and hurt him if he doesnt attack the paladin; and last but not least the warlock can put spells on the enemy that make the enemy take damage each time the warlock takes damage... yes yes any damage. I cant wait until more books start coming out so the game can really take off.What about you what are your thoughts about it?It was fun to play it and wasnt as slow as previous editions.

Although I've never played 4th edition yet, I've read a fair bit about it. As a v3.0/3.5 player for most of my life (I missed the AD&D craze) I've never had any problem with the way it worked as it is. Sure, you'd get ridiculously powerful characters who could pretty much do anything they wanted, but you know what the solution to that is? Have decent players who don't try to break the system. One hard and fast rule I've got with my group is "no intentional screwing up the GM's game", and it works fine.4th edition seems to, at first glance, become far more fantasy-based and a lot less medieval. Nigh on everyone has some sort of magic-esque ability. One thing that gets me about it is the lack of consistency throughout the statistics of characters and monsters. In 3.x you could generate a monster (say, a goblin) just as easily as a "normal" race, and pretty much the same options would be open to you. Want a goblin druid? Fine, it's no harder than making an elven one.All of these "racial" traits I keep hearing about with 4th edition don't exactly inspire me to move over, and as I've got more than enough 3.x stuff to keep my group going for a good while (even though we never bothered with beyond the PHB, DMG and standard MM, plus we write all of our own campaigns/scenarios) and we can always generate more to do once these campaigns die down.

question about the FighterDungeons And Dragons 4th Edition

Hi,

I have a question :

The Combat Challenge class feature of the fighter allows him (or her) to make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt to any ennemy who shifts or attack another character. Is this attack considered an opportunity attack ? (Wich would stop the shift, thanks to the Combat Superiority Class Feature, in addition of giving a bonus on the attack roll equal to the fighter's Wisdom modifier...)

Thanks for answering !

And by the way, 4th edition is neat. It's different. Really different. Feels like a totaly new game to me, but really neat. I didn't think they'd come up with something better than the 3rd (and 3.5) edition... I don't think this edition makes the previous obselete, but it is sure worth buying and playing !

Stephan Baillargeon, Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada

Thx again !

-question by Stephan Baillargeon