xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Image Problems With Windows 2000

Hi,

since a while i got two problems related with images files in my Windows 2000 machine, both are very closely related because them happen with Windows Explorer and with Internet Explorer 6.

The problems are:

Windows Explorer Thumbnails Preview: The problem with this option of the View menu is that it doesn't show any thumbnail preview of any image in my hole computer, i verify this problem for jpg, jpeg, gif, png or bmp files, but it works fine and generate the thumbnail previews for html files.

IE Save as... dialog and JPG files extension: Every time that i want to save an image with Internet Explorer while i'm surfing the net, the default extension that the Save as... dialog shows for jpg files is *.JPEG, but before this dialog shows *.JPG for them, this is not a really problem because i can simply type jpg while saving but i prefer the previous behavior.

For the first problem i really don't have any idea on how can i fix it, and for the second problem i'm thinking that this problem is related with the default settings for jpg files.

I hope that someone can help me.

Best regards,

1) Did you install any software that might affect the way Windows Explorers recognizes or opens files? Sometimes media players fight over who opens what. When it comes to pictures - you will be looking at graphics, photos, and printing programs or viewers. The Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, Macromedia, Corel, and other similar productivity programs which support the use of adding, viewing, and copying images should be looked at. Almost all software give you an option at installation when it comes to what file types they will open. This may indirectly affect which images are thumbed. 2) Speaking of thumbnails in explorer. You problem might have to do with explorer or Internet explorer and any plug-in/skins you may have installed. You're folder options for thumbing images may not be selected. Specific to Windows 2k, you also have to right click the folder and select it for thumbnail of images.3) Another thing is registry settings. I use to change my thumbnail sizes. I believe there are additional thumbnail options for Windows 2k.I hope this give some idea as to where to start. Then again, just do a reinstall if you can't pin point the problem. :mellow:

1) Did you install any software that might affect the way Windows Explorers recognizes or opens files? Sometimes media players fight over who opens what. When it comes to pictures - you will be looking at graphics, photos, and printing programs or viewers. The Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, Macromedia, Corel, and other similar productivity programs which support the use of adding, viewing, and copying images should be looked at. Almost all software give you an option at installation when it comes to what file types they will open. This may indirectly affect which images are thumbed.

2) Speaking of thumbnails in explorer. You problem might have to do with explorer or Internet explorer and any plug-in/skins you may have installed. You're folder options for thumbing images may not be selected. Specific to Windows 2k, you also have to right click the folder and select it for thumbnail of images.

3) Another thing is registry settings. I use to change my thumbnail sizes. I believe there are additional thumbnail options for Windows 2k.

I hope this give some idea as to where to start. Then again, just do a reinstall if you can't pin point the problem. :mellow:

First of all thanks for your help, and second, my answers:

Yes, i do. I recently install an image viewer called XnView, but none of the products you mention, so, i will uninstall it to see what happens.

In this case, the problem i had as i said is related with Windows Explorer and i don't install any plug-in or skin, also, it is stange because the thumbnails preview works fine in case of html files.

Do you remember exactly which registry settings you change???

Best regards,

Last check, only Windows XP onwards had thumbnail icon view. I may be wrong since I haven't used Windows 2000 in a while.
xboxrulz

My Windows 2000 service pack 4 also has thumbnail view in Windows Explorer. Did you remember to "refresh" the Explorer window ? Also, try to cut the folder and paste it somewhere else, to see if it changes the explorer thumbnail behaviour.
And the "save as" option in Internet option proposes .jpg as default file extension.
So, this strange behaviour is not a Win2k standard feature.
By the way, I suppose that you did not forget to uncheck the box "hide extensions for know types" in the Explorer properties ?

If you choose to continue to use XnView Viewer... check out their website for support and send them an email about the bugs you are experiencing. Maybe they have something in their knowledge base.If you are uninstalling the software, restart the computer and download 'CCleaner'. Run the option to clean the registry. It will remove any traces of the XnViewer. Then restart your PC. Check to see if you icons or thumbnails are okay.Let us know what's going on after that.

My Windows 2000 service pack 4 also has thumbnail view in Windows Explorer. Did you remember to "refresh" the Explorer window ? Also, try to cut the folder and paste it somewhere else, to see if it changes the explorer thumbnail behaviour.And the "save as" option in Internet option proposes .jpg as default file extension.
So, this strange behaviour is not a Win2k standard feature.
By the way, I suppose that you did not forget to uncheck the box "hide extensions for know types" in the Explorer properties ?

Yes yordan, i remember to refresh the Explorer window and i also do what you suggest but nothing happens and the problem stills.

Also, i did not forget to uncheck the "hide extensions for know types" in the Explorer's Folder properties.

Best regards,

If you choose to continue to use XnView Viewer... check out their website for support and send them an email about the bugs you are experiencing. Maybe they have something in their knowledge base.
If you are uninstalling the software, restart the computer and download 'CCleaner'. Run the option to clean the registry. It will remove any traces of the XnViewer. Then restart your PC. Check to see if you icons or thumbnails are okay.

Let us know what's going on after that.

I just uninstall the XnView viewer and i have CCleaner, so, i will follow your suggestion right now and later i will post the results of this, thanks.

Best regards,

Well, only to say that after following the suggestions given by levimage the result is that ccleaner fix some other problems i have but don't fix this issue.

Some other strange thing is that if i use View->Personalize this folder option with any folder it works fine.

Best regards,

Well, after some digging and googling finaly i found a solution to my Windows Explorer Thumbnails Preview problem.

I never imagine that the solution to this problem was very very simple and to fix it i only need to edit the windows registry, search for some keys and add some values, that's it.

Edit 1:

Another solution i found to this problem was almost the same but instead of editing the registry directly it uses a VBScript file that access the Windows Registry via WScript.Shell.

I use the first solution because it is the easiest method and also because the second one access and writes to the Windows Registry and it may be reported as a potentially malicious or a possible virus by your antivirus software. Either case, both solutions access the same registry keys and values.

The solution consists in verify that the following registry entries exist:

Registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file type\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Value: (Default)="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

for the following file types that you are trying to preview:

.art

.bmp

.dib

.gif

.jfif

.jpe

.jpeg

.jpg

.png

.tif

.tiff

.wmf

To resolve this problem using the first solution you can do it manually by editing the Windows Registry directly for every file type listed above or like me you create a .REG file and simply merge it to the Windows Registry by double clicking it.

The .REG file i create to do the job includes all of the file types listed above and is based on the 6. Preview Thumbnails Fix which do not includes the .png, .tif and .tiff file types and with the microsoft's Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer article.

If you want to try the second solution visit Repair Image Preview and download the VBS file from there.

Take in mind that serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly so back up it first before any thing.

Edit 2:

Attaching of the Preview.zip file which includes my .REG file using the first solution.

Best regards,

Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

Well finally i found a solution for the second problem i have, the one related to the IE Save as... dialog and JPG files extension.The way i get rid of it is by changing the way explorer shows files extensions, what i do is to simply check back to the default behaviour of it, to not show file extensions of files windows knows.Best regards,