xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
surfinhu

Firefox 3

I heard about firefox 3..anybody is using it!a friend of mine told me it is not so secure..is it true?and it has a lot of bugs.. =/i'm using firefox 2.0.0.15 and never gave me problems.. i think i will keep it for now.

I started using Firefox 3 when it came out, and haven't turned back to Firefox 2 ever since. It is suspected that there are vulnerabilities in Firefox 3 (Link to Article), but the vulnerabilities have not been widely published. I believe that these issues are under investigation by the Mozilla team (Link to article).

If you are concerned about security, you should wait for a patch / patches to come out for Firefox 3 before upgrading your Firefox.

I am using Firefox 3, and the only difference at this time is that some of my themes are not compatible right now. And when they are upgraded, it is usually a visual change.I have heard about security issues, but I just haven't gotten into issues with that... at least not right now. I would think that Firefox 3 is like the others. Maybe I just don't see it on the surface, but so far, so good.So unless I am totally missing something, I will continue to use it like always... and if the upgrade and update comes along... I am sure I will keep on with it, too.I just know that Internet Explorer 7 keeps getting slower going for me... and Firefox is just plowing on through like ever before... Now that Safari.... always wants me to update... not really doing any of that.Firefox 4... ok if it is out, I'll do then! You just never know.- skedad -

I used Firefox 3 for one day, and I decided to go back to Firefox 2 because one of the add-ons I had that I REALLY needed wouldn't work on Firefox 3. I'd say if you have add-ons that aren't Firefox 3 compatible, Firefox 2 isn't a bad choice to stick with.

True the compatibility issues between new releases and third party addons are sometimes sketchy for a bit but usually it is worthwhile to upgrade. I Know all my time spent on 3 has been problem free so I wouldn't recommend against using it. That said, as has been stated, if the security issues worry you just stick with 2 until they are sorted out. It can't hurt sticking with what you already know.

Even though I'm not fan of Firefox as I'm using Opera, but I have Firefox 3 and I browse with it and don't have anything bad to say about it, it's really is much faster now than Firefox 2, really very well optimized, bigger site's which felt that works slower, works much better, for example last.fmAs I know it's still beta? and much of addons are still not available, but when it doesn't have to much maybe thats because it's so fast, with time when it'll have more addons and more code in it, it can get a bit slower, just I wish not to much and it would remain as optimized as it can be :)

I have Firefox 3, and haven't noticed any vulnerablilies or frequently encountered errors so far in the program. When using Firefox 2 I sometimes had extension related probmes, such as when I installed the Paypal Extension I would visit many websites and Firefox (2) would freeze, I'm not sure why this happed but it only happened prior to the Extension install. However, since the upgrade this problem no longer persists, so I sould say, if anything the upgrade was successful. Honestly, though, my preferred browser is still Opera at this point, I love the Speed Dial feature, and it loads up a bit faster than Firefox for me, though that may just be becasuse it is present in the Cache.

I have been using Firefox for a couple months now. Thus far I have had no major issues with it. I have beenn at a couple pages where a script or the like caused it to lock up. I have seen a couple sites render oddly as well. Most importantly the only add on I care about works, Flash Blocker. Given I hate, disdain, abhor, and loathe Flash this is very important to me.

The only real problem that I have had with Firefox at this moment is related to my website development. I am transferring text from Word to Dreamweaver, and the spacing is a little off in Firefox preview... I haven't really gotten into fixing it, but I don't think it will be that huge of an issue.I have not had a problem exist with Dreamweaver and Firefox, so it was probably a slight transfer issue... I do recall Frontpage and Firefox colliding when I began using Firefox many years ago... I wonder if they are a little more compatible now? Not that I am feeling too concerned, because I only use Dreamweaver now.Ok, that is all... Still a huge Firefox user/fan, and plan on staying that way for a while...- skedad -

Firefox 3 is still bugged in some chat boxes i use in some games, and t he image drag is KILLING me :). But thats been there from before. As for security issues, nothing i noticed.

I used Firefox 3 for one day, and I decided to go back to Firefox 2 because one of the add-ons I had that I REALLY needed wouldn't work on Firefox 3. I'd say if you have add-ons that aren't Firefox 3 compatible, Firefox 2 isn't a bad choice to stick with.

Well, compatibility issues can sometimes be fixed with Nightly Tester, which lets you force the add-on to be compatible with the browser. Of course, this doesn't always work because oftentimes there is a deeply ingrained problem with the add-on that would really cause it and/or Firefox to break down when it is forced. I remember that I wasn't able to get FireFTP working with it, but I was able to get Gmail Manager going.

Most importantly the only add on I care about works, Flash Blocker. Given I hate, disdain, abhor, and loathe Flash this is very important to me.

You have two options:Use Adblock, which blocks most ads that are flash and therefore are extremely annoying. Sites with flash as the content are still annoying but are less so when compared to ads. (IMO)
Use Noscript, which I believe was compatible with Firefox 3 since its beta versions. It has a built in Flashblocker, which is nice. Though I'm sure that by now, all these days after the release of Firefox 3, the newer versions of all those extensions would've started to come out. :P

I remember looking at the betas for Firefox 3 and being really excited about its speed (it still doesn't quite beat Opera though). I guess I only really upgraded for the speed, since it's nice having tabs that don't stop for a moment as I move from tab to tab. It does, however, crash and burn more often than Firefox 2 does (but this is most likely due to the fact that it's new and hasn't been tested extensively enough, so I can wait). Other than that, I don't notice any visible differences--the memory imprint seems to be about the same as Firefox 2, still quite a bit worse off than Opera. This may be, of course, due to the extensions that I have installed...

I have also noticed a lot of moments where Firefox just randomly freezes up and I'm forced to close it. Granted, this happens less often than IE does, but still often enough for me to complain.

The only real problem that I have had with Firefox at this moment is related to my website development. I am transferring text from Word to Dreamweaver, and the spacing is a little off in Firefox preview... I haven't really gotten into fixing it, but I don't think it will be that huge of an issue.

Hmmm...solution to problem: don't use Word or Dreamweaver! :) In general, I don't really think Word is going to create websites well at all--it's a word processor, not meant to generate line after line of html. Dreamweaver may be for html generation, but the html it does generate definitely isn't as clear as something you hand code. Most WYSIWYG html editors aren't really that great because it's very difficult to generate error, and table free code. Form editors, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother thing. :P