xisto Community
mikesoft

Lcd Screen dead or stuck pixel, help

Hi.

2 months ago I bought my first LCD screen, went from a 17" CRT to a 20" LCD widescreen and I was amazed by the beauty of the image/monitor. It arrived with no dead pixels, nor stuck pixels, so everything was literally perfect, except for the brightness, which was little to bright for my taste, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with the nvidia control panel.

So yesterday I was playing a PC game, and then I noticed some really small spots on the screen, so I googled for a pixel checker/fixer software. I found this one that turns your whole screen to a color of your choosing. So I tried white, black, bright red, blue and yellow backgrounds.

These were the results:

1. Black background: you can't see anything weird, no "stuck pixel" or anything.

2. White background: the pixel turns bright green but you can barely see it, you won't see it unless you look for it.

3. Red background: the pixel turns black, like if it was dead.

4. Blue background: pixel turns black again, looks dead.

5. Yellow background: pixel turns green, just like with the white background.

So, is it dead or just stuck? Help me :) I'm new to the LCD world

There were 2 other weird pixels but I managed to fix them with a video that changes background colors really fast.

my monitor is this one

Stuck or dead, those are considered dead pixel. Dead pixel are normally due to physical damage (manufacturing defect of cause). Your method of flipping them around might help, but not all the time, or not even 10% of the time.Pixel are consisted of Red, Green and Blue. So, to check, you normally only to test only those 3 color plus black and white. Only my 22", I had a dead pixel as well. Stuck at blue when screen is red/green. When screen is black/blue, it's ok. This seems like the blue color of that pixel is shorted out, so it's either off or lit all the time.As for your case, it's the green color that's shorted out. Well, you can't do much about it actually. If your LCD monitor is still under warranty, pray that it gets a few more dead pixel so that you can send in for warranty, if that's what you're looking forward to. Normally it needs 5 or more dead pixel to be consider "defective" and eligible for a warranty claim. Check your manual on that.

Looks like the red and green component of that pixel is dead. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to get a new screen for that single damaged pixel (most manufactures claim they offer you a new screen, but you'll need dead and or stuck pixels before they do that).

Now don't quote me on this one. I used to support one of the largest computer stores in United States. They, the corporation with blue and yellow (ahem), told me there are specific calculation before they perform a warranty work. Now this applies to LCD televisions but you should call your manufacturer to double check.LCD pixel warranty applies when: total of 15% dead (dead, defined by the manufacturer) pixels from total pixels. And these dead pixels are concentrated in the main viewing area concentrating about 5% radius from the center. Or something like that. Now mind you, 15% may sound good but imagine how many pixels are there on a 22 inch screen with max resolution of 1900x2400 (or what have you). 15% of that total pixel is a very big number. And to top that majority of dead pixels should be clustered around the center of viewing... what are the odds of that??This means one dead pixel will not be "under the warranty to exchange or fix" by the manufacturer's policy. If it's within 30 days majority of stores should have exchange policy where you can take advantage of that. Again, call your manufacturer and find out what you are entitled, clearly.

Now don't quote me on this one. I used to support one of the largest computer stores in United States. They, the corporation with blue and yellow (ahem), told me there are specific calculation before they perform a warranty work. Now this applies to LCD televisions but you should call your manufacturer to double check.
LCD pixel warranty applies when: total of 15% dead (dead, defined by the manufacturer) pixels from total pixels. And these dead pixels are concentrated in the main viewing area concentrating about 5% radius from the center.

Or something like that. Now mind you, 15% may sound good but imagine how many pixels are there on a 22 inch screen with max resolution of 1900x2400 (or what have you). 15% of that total pixel is a very big number. And to top that majority of dead pixels should be clustered around the center of viewing... what are the odds of that??

This means one dead pixel will not be "under the warranty to exchange or fix" by the manufacturer's policy. If it's within 30 days majority of stores should have exchange policy where you can take advantage of that.

Again, call your manufacturer and find out what you are entitled, clearly.

15% is a lot, when did they tell you this ? Afaik, nowadays the dead pixel warranties are less strict

I know for LG, you must have 5 or more dead pixels or clustered in the centre is the only way u can get it exchanged under warranty (they don't even fix them until you send it to them and they give u a new one on the spot).xboxrulz

Blue lighting spot on New LCD moitorLcd Screen

I just brought a new LCD 19'' wide screen monitor. Its working fine but I found a blue  lighting spot on the screen specially when screen shows black or green colors.

When inquiring  from shop, owner said that most of the time an one spot of that kind can be seen on every 19'' wide LCD monitor of that brand(Sams...).

How should I handle this problem? should I get it changed with onother one ?

-question by thusitha