xisto Community
kanade

Any Mobile That Run On Linux Os?

Is there any Mobile that run on Linux OS? , where i can add my own application and excute them. I did lot of survey on this, there are number of mobiles that run on Linux but all has one of the following issues. 1. In most of them You can't run your applications 2. Most of the mobiles are very costly eventhough they are using free OS(cost in optimising them). If you are aware of such mobiles please let us know. My main requirment is i should be able to copy my application to them and run them.

I've seen once on a motorola, that was 3 years ago. PDA phone alike. But the interface sucks big time, and no much apps available to it compare to other java or symbian based phones. It didn't really take off well. I believe the problem was that it's too customized such that you can't simply run any software on it. No documentation on that matter either. Probably you need to compile in your mobile, much like most of the linux software. Then you'll have to face the issue of hardware, such as touch screen, handwriting input, odd screen size, non standard "video card" and "sound card" or is there such a thing in mobile?. As for those major distro, you can get your hand on a binary version. That's for popular distro only. So to have that privilege, the mobile you're getting must be popular enough. I've yet to see any.

Your timing is excellent! :POpenmoko's Neo FreeRunner smart phone for Linux now available. According to the article (which is all I know), they aren't yet ready to mass produce them.

Your other option is the Open Handset Alliance, which is Google's consortium of hardware manufacturers who have agreed to support the Android mobile platform. Android is written in Java, so you can run it on Linux, or anything else that supports Java. Only prototypes so far, but they're striving mightily to have hardware for sale before Christmas, to compete with the iPhone.

The third (more distant choice) is Symbian, which was designed as a mobile platform from the ground up, is definitely not Linux, but has a lot of support. It has recently gone open-source.

Hope this helps! :)

Your timing is excellent! :DOpenmoko's Neo FreeRunner smart phone for Linux now available. According to the article (which is all I know), they aren't yet ready to mass produce them.

Your other option is the Open Handset Alliance, which is Google's consortium of hardware manufacturers who have agreed to support the Android mobile platform. Android is written in Java, so you can run it on Linux, or anything else that supports Java. Only prototypes so far, but they're striving mightily to have hardware for sale before Christmas, to compete with the iPhone.

The third (more distant choice) is Symbian, which was designed as a mobile platform from the ground up, is definitely not Linux, but has a lot of support. It has recently gone open-source.

Hope this helps! B)

Thanks budy ,... I had done lot of information gathering on Openmoko, they had released handsets last year end and it was sold out within 1 week time. after that no more product from them but there website says they are planning to release soon.

This openmoko handset was realy nice. As many users say, they were able run application that they had built and not only that they were able to upload the application using pendrive and use it. infact i searched for the second handset, there was one handset avilable in ebay two months back, but for my unluck it was also sold within 1 week, i was late.

Symbian, yes they provide lot of support but it has got 1 drowback. ie. the Symbian C++ for application development is very tough and is very difficult to learn. As i heard from many of the guys working on these, it takes more then year to learn and after that also its very difficult develop a application compare to other language.

Android is also a good choice for Java developers, But i am not a java developer. Google with tie up with Nokia they are working on this and it will be freware but only to run Nokia handset.