xisto Community
wutske

Opensuse: Stop Asking Root Password

I've just installed openSuse 11.0 on my laptop to replace Vista. However, it's very annoying that it constantly keeps asking for a root password when I want to configure something. I even changed my default group from 'users' to 'root', but that didn't help , it keeps asking for a password :) . I've also tried adding /sbin/yast2 and other to the sbin configuration, but that doesn't work either (because for example, yast2 isn't launched with sudo in front of it). So I'm looking for a way to completely avoid these 'password needed' dialogs and I hope I can disable it because otherwise I might reinstall Vista because at least I can disable it in there :P:P Thanks in advance

Welcome to the secure world of UNIX. It's meant to do that, that's something Windows was missing for years before they finally introduced their best attempt called UAC. It's still flawed, it's too intrusive. I love this password required system since I can always click cancel if I didn't mean to execute the process that can harm my system if I don't use it properly. That's part of the reason why UNIX has been so successful at security compared to Windows. Microsoft is getting there, but it still has a long way to go. UNIX had this system since the beginnings of UNIX.I always advocate against turning off the UAC unless you REALLY have to.deltatux

But isn't there some kind of system that remember the fact that I correctly entere the root password so I don't have to re-type it the first 30 minutes or so ? Can't I use (abuse) the keyring manager for that ? The reason why I realy want this is because I'm always 100% aware of what I'm doing and I realy don't want a computer to always ask me whether I'm sure. That's why the first thing I've disabled in Vista was the UAC and the 'verify the program' thingy that was hidden somewhere in the IE settings.//edit: and why does it keep asking me the password while I'm a root ? Not trusting a root is a bit over-secured imho :)

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Deleting the files using shell or Knoppix 5.1.1

I was imaging 1 hard drive to the other that are in the same PC. The destination HDD got full before the whole hard drive was imaged. The computer frizzed and I switched it off manually but when I try to login again it says that "/home/username directory disk is full"..I want to know hw can I delete those images in the destination HDD...Firstly I tried using shell where I logged on as "su" but it says that logging incorrect.And secondly I used Knoppix 5.1.1 and I could see those files but I cant delete them.I even opened the shell konsole and when I type "mount/dev/hda8,rw", it says that "no such file or directory".Please help as early as possible..I'm using openSUSE 10.2..Thanx

-question by Shad

Deleting the files using shell or Knoppix 5.1.1

I was imaging 1 hard drive to the other that are in the same PC. The destination HDD got full before the whole hard drive was imaged. The computer frizzed and I switched it off manually but when I try to login again it says that "/home/username directory disk is full"..I want to know hw can I delete those images in the destination HDD...Firstly I tried using shell where I logged on as "su" but it says that logging incorrect.And secondly I used Knoppix 5.1.1 and I could see those files but I cant delete them.I even opened the shell konsole and when I type "mount/dev/hda8,rw", it says that "no such file or directory".Please help as early as possible..I'm using openSUSE 10.2..Thanx

-question by Shad

your mount command is a bit wrong, it should be something like:

mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/an_existing_folder -o rw

it might be a good idea to first unmount /dev/hda8 before remounting it :)