xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LikMeBalleFM

Need Some Help/advice On Lost Files.

My problem is this.I had a photo loader software installed on my computer. This prog indexed a couple of hondred photos I had.Yesterday I uninstalled the prog form my computer without considering the posibility that the folder containing my photos would be deleted too, which it did. My question is this, what if I used system restore? would it restore my photos too? Or would it simply restore just the prog files only?ThnX in advance

This behaviour is really surprising, really non-professional. Could you please tell us which software is so unfair, in order we avoid buying it ?More seriously, I don't think that system restore could change something, because it mainly concerns the Windows registry, not the data.I would better look if the files are not simply lost in your folders somewhere under a strange name. So, maybe you should first make a "search" using Windows Explorer, looking for all the "jpg" files, if you see 100 jpg files in the same folder then you did it.The second way is the old good "undelete" program, I even don't know if it still exists, maybe another forummer her can talk about this ?RegardsYordan

To ensure the files are recovered, it's best to limit your use of the hard drive/partition that the photos were stored on, otherwise it could overwrite where the files were stored and make it harder to recover.

I use a Live Windows CD that I created using UBCD4Win. The Live CD helps limit the usage on the hard drive and the accidental of overwriting what you want to recover. You may also need to add to that CD GetDataBack FAT32 or NTFS depending on your file system, which is the software that I use to recover deleted files, this CD may contain it but I can't remember.

I can verify that this method worked for me as I keep this CD around as a safe guard, but I have probably added more software onto mine that was required and removed things I wouldn't use.

Cheers,

MC

If I had to take a shot in the dark I would guess the program is ACDSee. Starting a few versions ago they have implemented a very annoying database system that tries to index all the pictures (and who knows what else) on your hard drive. I like ACDSee enough that I put up with this but I make it a point to disable as much database functionality as possible which mostly involves manually excluding indexing on the hard drives. There is no option to just turn off the database which severely annoys me.Another thing that makes me think of this program is an incident where I set the database directory to a removable drive. Anytime I started ACDsee and the drive was not mounted, the program would crash and not allow me to view photos. There was no way to override this behavior which I consider poor programming design.

It could be Windows indexing the hard drive and made an error. Windows XP and newer operating systems automatically indexes the hard drive so that it's a lot easier to search through all the gazillion files you might have stored on your hard drive.Try disabling that function and maybe you might be able to find it again. Windows Restore only will revert back the software and not the actual files that were no backed up by Windows Restore since that function is just to backup specific system files just in case.xboxrulz