xisto Community
Snake1405241559

Gimp Userbar Tutorial Very Easy...

Hello, I will tell you how to create a nice userbar in the open-source software called GIMP.

You should GIMP 2.4.6 installed on computer, and if you don't, go to The GIMP Website.

Make sure to view a few beginner tutorials to have a basic understanding of GIMP.

This is what the finished userbar will look like:

Posted Image

It is very simple, and I learned it easy.

I will guide you through all the steps of making a userbar.

~ Now we will go through all the steps.

1. Open GIMP and click New(Ctrl + N) and make the size for your new image 350 by 19.

Your screen should look like this:

Posted Image

You can make your screen full windowed if you want.

2. Go to the tools list and click on the gradient tool.

Set your foreground color and background color.

As my foreground color, I will chose a dark green and a lighter green.

Once you have your colors are picked, make sure the gradient tool is set on the setting

'FG to BG (RGB)'

3. Once you have set your settings, with the gradient tool hold your right clicker on your mouse and drag the line

straight to the other side.

It should look somewhat like this:

Posted Image

Now release your right clicker on your mouse, and your colors should be in a gradient.

This is what my gradient looks like:

Posted Image

4. Once your gradient is set, add a new layer and name it something like "Scanlines"

It doesn't really matter.

Add Scalines to your image and go the layers window and sell the Opacity to something like 30 or whatever fits your userbar.

If you don't know how to add scanlines, Click Here.

The Scanlines on my userbar look like this:

Posted Image

5. Ok, your scanlines are set, now what?

Make a new layer and name it. I'll call it "toplight"

Select the Eclipse Select Tool.

Posted Image

Now, make a circle for the light source at the top of your userbar by holding your mouse right clicker.

Try to get it good, and not covering too much of your userbar.

When it's good, stop holding your mouse's right clicker and it should outline the area you selected.

Mine looks like this:

Posted Image

Now fill in the selection with white.

Then set the layer opacity to 20 or whatever fits your image.

Then go to Select -> None

My image looks like this, yours should look similar. :

Posted Image

6. Now, we will add the text.

Select the Visitor font.

If you don't have it download and install it on your computer and save your image as a GIMP xcf.

Restart GIMP and it will be in the font list.

It can be downloaded here.

Now, select the font tool and set the font to Visitor and the font size to about 10.

You may use a different text color.

Click where you want to add your text and type it in and click close.

My image now looks like this on the background layer:

Posted Image

7. If you want an image in your sigbar, read this step.

If you don't, you can skip this step.

Anyway...

Go to File -> Open and open your image.

It will appear in a new window.

Now select what you want in the image with the Free Select Tool.

Then copy the part of the image and paste it into your sigbar in a new layer.

You can move your image around and put it where you want it to be.

My signature bar now looks like this with the image on the background layer:

Posted Image

8. Now...

The Final Step...

The border part.

Save your image as myfirstsigbar.png (I recommend png)

and select 'Flatten Image' and save.

Then zoom in 800% and select the pencil tool with the color you want as the border.

(It's Usually Black.)

Select 'Circle(01)'

Then start pixeling your border. Hold shift for a straight line.

9. YOU ARE DONE! Yay! :)

This wonderful tutorial was made by Snake. :P

Cool tutorial, I always wondered about the the creating/controlling the Light like effect on objects like buttons. I guess I never bothered looking it up online. By the way, where did you get your font?On the question, yordan, about them layers. I myself, like creating a bunch of layers. I could use the undo when I make a mistake but why do that when you have an extra layer. I'd rather create an extra layers than deal with extra files. Anyway, with the added layers, you can individual edit the various components which make up the total picture fast and effectively. From experience I created this awesome flyer for my gf's family. It turns out it was an annual event and I had to create another flyer. I just changed the text it was needed and swapped out the background picture and little tweaks. In the end I must have saved myself like half a day in created time. How do you like them apples?

Really well written tutorial to create user bars with Gimp, even though I remember I really liked all those user bars when everyone started using them, but Today I doubt I would want one under my signature, don't know why..

Nice Tuto, Snake. I'll give it a try. To be honest, I don't understand why we need several layers, I would like to understand.

Working with several layers allows you to alter different components whenever you want. The scanlines for example, if you'd like to run them in another direction, you just have to change that single layer, the other layers remain unchanged and you don't have to do everything again. Layer also allow you to bring things forward or backward (forgound/background), apply effects only to several elements (layers) of the image and experiment with several settings.

Btw. nice tutorial, gonna try it when I have some time :rolleyes:

because if you modify the same layer, you could end up starting all over again if you make a mistake... If you use several layers, you can just delete that layer =]

-reply by njabella2893

i think much more complicated drawings could be made out of gimp if you are able enough to do itand some people do it with microsoft paint itself as they know much about the software and its usagekeep giving tutorials like this hope this influences many more to give out their tutorials

Fonts name is/ThanksGimp Userbar Tutorial

The font has a type so go to dafont.Com and search Visitor Font.

Thanks for the tutorial... Never used GIMP haha downloading my Photoshop right now... New computer. 

-reply by Fer9us0n