xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Review My New Wordpress Theme

Hey guys,

Finally decided to trust my CSS skills and designed a template from scratch. After a week of wading through the WordPress Codex, I managed to convert it to a WordPress theme and implement it in my blog. Why don't you go ahead and rip me apart - i.e. tell me about all the flaws that you find. Kudos of course, are most welcome - in the form of comments left on this blog post. :)

Blog URL: http://chaos-laboratory.com/

I have to say that the template is very impressive. I tried to customize my own CSS template before and I found it to be a nightmare. The template blends well with the site and the integrations appear to be seamless which are both great qualities.

I've got no WordPress Theme experience myself, but I'd say it looks a little...busy? The middling area looks good, but the top gives me the impression of being cluttered. Dabbling in CSS myself these days lets me know how tricky it is to get anything to look even half-good, so kudos to you for making something that looks pretty neat out of it. As for the weight of my opinions, I'm always one for neat, tidy, simple presentation if possible. Not everyone likes that approach, so don't feel like I'm slating it completely. :)Also, why would I want to post on your blog when I can post here and get hosting credits for it? :P

First impression: Very impressive! :) In fact, I'm ready to bookmark it for regular visits!

Your post 15 feet away may be a new variant on autostereograms. Right now, I have acute retinitis in one eye, and the autostereograms provide a useful tool to determine the pace of recovery. (Even though one eye has 20-20 vision, while the other has 20-50, my brain can resolve the 3-D images in autostereograms!) I'll see if I can quantify "15 feet" for each eye and determine the changes in resolution in my bad eye.

I've been trying to get to SpreadFirefox for an hour now, and all I get is "The connection was reset." I can get to Mozilla Europe and Mozilla Japan, but neither of them have Ff3. Thanks for the reminder, but it looks like Mozilla doesn't have the server farm it needs!

Wrong! Japan has it! You just have to figure out which Kanji means "downroad." :P I've got it! Now I need to try installing and see if I can persuade it to switch to English! Anyway, try Mozilla.jp and see what you get. Click on the link directly above the number "2" in the right-center of the web page. It should count in Mozilla's statistics whether or not you can use it.

That website is really interesting: I downloaded Ff3 twice from the Japan website. One came from a .jp website, but the other came from a .fr (French) website! Even more, I have the website from the link I just gave you in Ff2 browsers in two computers. One shows a page with 4 numbered graphics showing how to install Firefox. On the other computer (which has NoScript running) the web page has 6 buttons, 3 for Ff3, 3 for FF2; each letting you pick Win, Lin or Mac. Obviously, their server knows whether I have Javascript enabled, and serves up very different pages in these two cases.

OK. Now Europe is up at Mozilla-europe and it has an English (British) version available. I also think I've figured out why the pages may be different on two computers (besides Javascript). The second computer has a lot more security stuff on it. The type of browser I'm using may be hidden from the Mozilla servers.

Anyway, great job on Chaos Lab!

Update: The Mozilla Firefox Fully Localized Versions web page is up, has FF3, and is very responsive. Get it there! :P It looks like they don't have deep support for the promotional website that solicited promises to download. Once we go to the normal places, it's available!

Guys, thanks for the reviews :P

tansqrx: Even I had horrific CSS skills, till one of our oldies, Twitch pushed me in the right direction. What I did was started copying templates.. i.e. if I came across a site I liked, I'd try to design it myself.. without studying the code of the site at all. That helped big-time in figuring out all the nuances of CSS. I'm still far from perfect (I'd rate my knowledge at best at 50%) - but I can more of less emulate any given site these days.

Mordent: That's another thing I picked-up along the way. I really wanted my WordPress theme to be unique.. It's actually pretty easy. You can have a basic WordPress theme up and running with just 3-4 files. Studying the inner workings of other themes help a lot too. And dude !!! :P You're posting here in a no credits forum.. :P

docduke: Thanks for that bit of info on autostereograms. Am off to notch-off another post on it :) And the Firefox download was a total massacre. I couldn't get it at all last night. Finally saw your post and managed to connect to the Europe server - but even there I was getting a maxed download speed of 5kbps !!!! :o Today, the localized version Web-page seems to be working much better - but the main sites, i.e. SpreadFirefox and GetFirefox are still blown out to bits :P Who needs a DDOS??

And dude !!! :) You're posting here in a no credits forum.. :P

I know, but it makes me feel better inside for keeping all of my posts confined to one forum/place. I have this thing about structuring the universe neatly, and I'm doing my bit! :P

I know, but it makes me feel better inside for keeping all of my posts confined to one forum/place. I have this thing about structuring the universe neatly, and I'm doing my bit! :)

You should go tell that to some of the coders in the larger corps. You'll die 10 deaths in a single night trying to go through 1 page of their code. :P

Anyone else would care to share some thoughts on my site?

Thanks,
m^e

The look is different, new, stylish, clean, impressive... and.... and.... it's cool! Really impressed. I am interested in this stuff creating themes... What are the basic things I have to know before starting to create a wordpress theme? because I am tired of searching for beautiful wordpress themes daily.