xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Metal Gear Solid 4

Well, for starts I should explain this isn't a true review as I have yet to complete the game (I am a fair ways in, but there may be things near the ending that would affect an opinion, so keep that in mind). Also I am biased as I loved this game before I even got my hands on it :) But I'll try to remain objective haha.Right off the bat when you fire it up you can tell it feels like a MGS game, but different. They haven't changed the formula that worked they just... tweaked it. Even the cutscenes have a similar feel and just look exponentially more gorgeous. The graphics engine in use is highly detailed and perfectly suited for the game. When they use blur effects over surroundings to help focus the eye on certain central points it's hard to tell the objects in those blurred surroundings are CG at all.Some may argue that the game focuses on sneaking less. This is true, as could also have been argued for Snake Eater, but if you want to sneak it is still a powerful and rewarding option. There IS more accommodation for the run-and-gun style of gameplay but it is not promoted or encouraged excluding in a few very rare scenes so if you love the slower paced sneaking type gameplay, as I do, then you can still take full advantage of it (with some neat new in game toys I might add).Speaking of toys, there are a ton of weapons, items, etc in this one. They took out the need for eating, but added the idea of 'psych' which is basically to say snake, being older now, can get stressed and that can impact on his abilities in field. There are items to restore this just like health so it's not a huge factor but is used in some interesting ways (and funny ones in some cutscenes). The storyline. This is where its at when you're playing a MGS game. I've always said Kojima should be directing movies and MGS4 is a testament to this fact. The storyline, while complicated as always and probably would lose those unfamiliar with the backstory, is great so far. The voice acting is just off the charts and the animation is refined to a degree that it's more compelling then I would have imagined. The new villains are works of grotesquely misshapen art with interesting facets and an evil grace about them. The return of old characters is nostalgic and new characters is exciting.Personally I feel this game is EXACTLY what most people will want when they pick it up. It follows the tried and true elements of previous MGS games and adds a number of new elements and refines many of the old to form a new addition to the lineup. If you enjoyed the old MGS games, pick this up. If you haven't played them buy them all :P If you hated the old (which I couldn't comprehend haha) this probably isn't for you. It's a sequel done to perfection.

I am so waiting on this MGS4 PS3 deal that my local GameStop is doing... It could be worldwide, but it is the console, MGS4, controllers and a few other fun things on the PS3 for like 499.... really can't beat that deal. I think it is like 80gig, too.So I would hope to have a really cool review for this topic if and when I pick it up... sounds flippen fun as heck too! Have fun playing!- skedad -

This would be the only reason why I would get a PS3. Maybe that and it being a cheap Bluray player. However, that still doesn't justify a $499 price that I have to pay. There must be a lot more things I want to do on the PS3 for that price. Right now I'm happy with my Wii60 combo.However, Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the hottest looking game so far for 2008.xboxrulz

I am on the 4 act after 6 days, after I did a restart and went for the ultimate chicken run to get most of the badges, and I have to say this game owns, I wish I could say that for the online mode, nothing like COD 4 which was better.

I just started act 3, but I'm busy with other stuff so haven't played into it yet lol. Plus I'm out of money to spend on new games too so I've been trying to make my games last as long as possible so that I can always have a game waiting to be played haha. But yea, everything I've seen from it so far has been legendary

Alright now that I've finished the game I'll give an update to my opinions lol.The game is amazing. Easily landing in my favorite games of all time. The game doesn't really hold a consistent pace through the last few 'acts' and goes from being more gameplay oriented to heavily narrative oriented... but this isn't a bad thing. Anyone that has enjoyed the series until now is used to this and also will find all the information presented very interesting. not only is new story developed but the storyline from games past is wrapped up much better then I expected would be. Obviously I wont be giving away any details but suffice to say loose ends are all un-loosed lol.Further more, again without giving specifics, the nostalgia created by one of the acts in the game is that which I never thought a video game could create. Seriously, I've never felt that strong of a recoil when presented with some things in a sequel haha. You'll know the scene if or when you see it :)But yes, long and short of it, my initial impressions were dead on. The game is an amazing, amazing creation. A masterpiece of digital entertainment and I probably wont be waiting long before playing through again with the items I unlocked on my first run through. Kudos Kojima.