xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LegallyHigh

Some Weird Virus

A couple of weeks ago I was sent a file over AIM (Instant Messaging Service). Stupidly enough, though I didn't know the person I accepted and opened the file. I didn't think there was anything malicious about it since my Virus Program scanned it and nothing was found. So I opened it and a message soon appeared saying "Your trial of Obsidium is over." I have no idea what Obsidium is and I never installed it, so I simply closed the warning box and forgot about it. However, the next time I booted up the machine I tried to login and the computer hesitated, the same Obsidium message came up and another message appeared in the top right corner appeared which said Systeminfo32 (I think that was the name of it) was trying to update itself. I pressed CTRL ALT Delete since my system was now at a halt, with only the two boxes appearing to make progress. Under Processes in Windows Task Manager I saw a program I could not recognized called "system32:systeminfo2.exe". I closed it immediately and I was able to proceed and everything was fine. However, now this occurrence happens every time I start up my computer. I searched for "system32:systeminfo2.exe" on Google and I was unable to find any good information. Can some one help me out. I have even tried using MSCONFIG to disable the EXE on the startup, but it just comes back every start up. I even tried using Hijack this, which is like MSCONFIG, but has more you can disable such as Browser Add-ons and such, but I had no luck. This is a pesky little virus, and though I have no information whether it is eating away at my System's internals, it could be. I tried to find "system32:systeminfo2.exe" so I could delete it, but even running a search left me unable to trace it. Any advice or help on this subject, so I can successfully remove this problem. Also, what kind of virus scanner would you guys recommend.

Yeah, haha I figured I should get a better Virus Protection program, that's why I asked for recommendations. Thanks for the Online Scanner suggestions, I am about to run those right now and hopefully I find something.

I use AVG AntiVirus and so far it has caught all of the viruses that I received. Did you trying using HijackThis or msconfig in safe mode? This way, the virus won't be running unless it is an essential service. I once had a Microsoft virus telling me to install a security update and it just kept restarting itself everytime I restart the computer. Eventually I had to delete the partition.

It doesn't seem that this is a known virus. Be sure to back up your system and reinstall it. Always keep backups just in case something like this ever happens. Best to purchase an external hard drive for this. At my house, I have a network array of backup systems. The important files are spread across all the computers in my system (locked away so people can't pry into it obviously).However, the major disadvantage is to synchronize them all.xboxrulz

The easiest method in combating the virus in the future is prevention, that is installing an effective anti-virus and not accepting files from over Instant Messengers unless you are absolutely sure it is safe. I once received invitations to download files over MSN/Windows Live Messenger that were sent from my friends/contacts, where the files were actually viruses that had infected the sender's system.The best option to remove the virus if you can't find it manually or with an anti-virus is to reformat and reinstall your operating system.

Obsidium is a program used to prevent cracking of software, which would explain why it said that your trial was over. It's best to only accept files from people you know and trust on instant messengers, so if you follow that rule, you should be ok in the future. Prevention is better than cure. If all else fails, either restore a vackup, if you have one, or reformat and reinstall your operating system.

Yeah, right now I'm just looking for a quick fix, though. I know I have a backup, so I could restore the compute at any point. I'm just trying to see if I can delete the file and get rid of the Virus so I don't have to go through that effort.

It is not a virus!

Some Weird Virus

Dude, just to let you know, it is not a virus, it is a trojan. A trojan is not a virus! The person who sent it to you can just make up a random name for it, and it is as easy as that, that would be why you can't find any information on it. It won't be eating up anything in your computer unless the person who sent it to you gave you a virus. The person just has full access to your computer, and probably just wants to have some fun with it. Obsidium is a program that hackers use to encrypt their trojans, so that you will not be able to crack it. If you just scan your computer for viruses and trojans, you will be able to delete it, but the demo message will just keep poping up, but it won't be doing any harm. I am not an expert in this area, and I do not know what you have to do to get rid of it, I just know that it won't do any harm.

-reply by Haha