xisto Community
kanade

Ubuntu- How To Install C/ C++ Compilers.

Once you install Ubuntu. If you want to develop code in C or C++ you need to update the package. Default install will not come with development tools. Synaptic pckg manager is a very usefull tool in ubuntu. This can be used to install many development tool.

Just look for Synaptic pckg manager and put check for gcc 3.4 or later, glibc or any other package you need, then update.

Your ubuntu is now ready to use for C,C++.... :(

For those who has used Windows and worked with Visual Studio can use in Lunix too . Just you need to install some emulator ( ex. wine ) and then install Visual studio. Instalation is the same as u do on Windows.Dev C++. I use this one and its its preaty good. You can install windows version using the wine emulator or u can find Linux version , its all the same.KDevelop is good enviorment for implementing c/c#/c++ sowrtrare but i thing its for advanced programers and linux users.

Installation Procedure For Gcc Compiler in Ubuntu ...Ubuntu- How To Install C/ C++ Compilers.

Install package called build-essential is the best way

build-essentialContains a list of packages which are essential for building UbuntuPackages including gcc compiler, make and other required tools.

$ sudo apt-get update$ sudo apt-get upgrade$ sudo apt-get install build-essential$ gcc -v$ make -vNow, you should able to compile software using C / C++ compilers.

Regards 

Prasad

System Admin 

-reply by Durga Prasad

And if someone needs decent Integrated Development Environment, they can try Code::Blocks. It has everything you need and comes in Ubuntu repository.

aptitude install codeblocks

Check out screenshot

Posted Image

http://www.codeblocks.org/features, they support multiple platforms and more than C/C++.

when I try to update or download the gcc thing , they ask me to insert a disk.. and i donUbuntu- How To Install C/ C++ Compilers.

when I try to update or download the gcc thing , they ask me to insert a disk..

and I don't know what disk is that ! ?

-question by monira

when I try to update or download the gcc thing , they ask me to insert a disk..

They're asking you to insert disk because you have notified CD/DVD as repository. Without alternate repositories like internet or network, there is no way you can download and install GCC. You need to watch out for a way to show them a repository link. You can get it installed if they found any repository. Mostly gcc is installed for default setup but unless you're running custom install it will not be installed so you have to give path to repositories in synaptic or whatever update manager you're using.

Aaaargh!
This topic should be linked to the Best distro topic.
In the distro's I love, there are two situations :
. In the professional version, during the install phase, I click "show all software options" and I check "gcc compiler".
. In the free versions, I download the gcc rpm's and I type "rpm -i" the rpm file, and it installs everything. Sometimes I need some other requisite rpm's, so I simply make a USB folder with all the required files and that's all.
If it's more complicated than that, I name this "not the best distro", or "a very bad distro", or at leat "the Linux distro I don't want to use if possible"!

If i'm not wrong then there is nothing like free or professional version for ubuntu and debian. They all come in same package. No doubt there are some child distros who have professional version. But if i'm not wrong most of the debian child distros like ubuntu, linspire all allow gcc to be installed during the setup. So most of the tools for the programming like python, gcc are installed by default. I doubt if there is anything needed from command line atleast. For IDE yes, anjuta and eclipse or netbeans needs to be installed separately.