xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert1405241469

Assassin's Creed Pc Review

Well I just picked up Assassin's Creed for the the PC yesterday. So far I've gotten though the first major assassination. Here is my review and first impressions.First off, installation went well. When I went to run it for the first time, it automatically downloaded the latest patch, which went well.Started it up, and adjusted the controls to fit my style, since I use the arrows instead of the WASD configuration... and started a new game. Load times aren't bad at all. Graphics: I have a Geforce 8800 GTS 320meg video card, and I had a problem when using the Eagle's Eye feature. Everything would go way too bright. I fixed this by turning off post processing effects, which makes the game slightly less pretty unfortunately.I'm also running Windows XP. I read that using Windows Vista will also fix this error.Sound: Sounds are very well done. Voice acting is top notch.Story: So far, things are very interesting. The story is not technically taking place in the Crusades era. You play as Desmond Miles, kidnapped by two scientists experimenting on you. They put you into a machine that pulls up genetic memories from your ancestors, and they are looking for some memory that they won't tell about... Really cool up to this point.Environments are pretty huge. I've had no lag whatsoever. This game actually was translated well from console onto PC. I've had no trouble with the controls either. Some games I've played like Bioshock had jerky mouse movements. This is fluid and well done.Gameplay takes some getting used to, but overall running around and climbing walls is pretty easy. The first couple of levels are tutorial-based, but done rather well. They make sure to go over all the moves on your first run through the levels so you are comfortable with what you will have to use.As you play, there are different things you can find, such as flags hidden around the world, but I'm not sure if they unlock things or if they're just holdovers from the 360 achievements. That's one thing I always hated about 360 achievements on PC games that were ported... They break the immersion because you suddenly find yourself on a scavenger hunt looking for flags and stuff that don't mean anything or unlock any bonus stuff...The actual side missions are rather repetitive, unfortunately. Saving people from being harassed and pickpocketing get to be boring after awhile. Using stealth is a bit off at best, since it can be unrealistic. You can have a guard chasing you, and you run around a corner and sit on a bench with your hood over your face, he'll run past you, look around if you did it right, and give up the chase as he walks past you, and you can get up and walk around like nothing happened. I'll keep you all posted as I play the game further.I guess during cutscenes, you can move around which is weird, but there are little "glitches" that go off that you're supposed to do things in, but I have yet to try it.

Ok, couple of things I've figured out.First off, the game is only repetitive if you want to be a completist and work at acheiving everything. Really the only missions you need to do is about 3 recon investigations such as evesdropping, pickpocketing and maybe a fight. Everything else is just extra, and the more you do, the more health you can unlock, which I guess is a good thing because the game is starting to get harder. The fighting isn't bad, though it could use some work. I try changing my focus from one bad guy to another when I'm surrounded, and I end up getting hit in the back with their sword. Ah well. I find that one of the more fun techniques of dispatching baddies is to have them follow you up a roof, and grab them and throw them off :( As for the glitches that occur during cutscenes, if you press a button, it will change camera angles, and typically show you semi-important things that are happening. For instance, there's a scene that I was in where you're talking to a target, and if you click a button during a glitch, you'll see archers gathering above you, which gives you an advantage of knowing they are there.Now that I'm not trying to unlock EVERYTHING, the game has become a bit more fun, since I'm not doing a whole lot of the same...though now I am sort of blowing through assassinations faster. More as I go through it.

Yeah, it's not for everybody, but you do get more freedom once you get out of the tutorial. It's sort of on the same frame as Star Wars: Jedi Academy, only instead of smashing buttons for lightsabers, you doing it with swords.I've taken a break from the game. I've had too much going on in real life to really sit down and work on it, though the plot is moving along. Every level adds a bit of difficulty. Probably the most fun assassination I had was a merchant locked in a castle. It was really the first time I could sneak around in earnest, and take down patrols and guards up on the guard towers silently. They didn't respawn either, which helped a lot add to the realism. I do wish the assassinations were a bit more stealthy than they are, though. Typically, you hit the target in a public place, such as an execution (as seen in the trailer).What's a bit unbelievable is that once you stab the target, it goes into a long cutscene of a dialog between the main character and the target, with the target explaining the motives behind some stuff, and slowly reveal plot things... Meanwhile, you have the entire town's city guard standing around you (but you don't see them because you're backdropped in pure white) and once you leave the cutscene, the chase ensues, in which you have to escape, hide until they can't find you, and sneak back to the base of that city where the assassin's guild rep is to tell them you did the deed.Overall, pretty fun, but needs to be taken in light doses after awhile.

I have that game for the 360 and its a wonderful game in my opinion. Plus, I believe it was a testing ground for their physics engine. Whether it did good or bad I believe they were testing their physics engine. And so far the game shot off the shelves. The games story is pretty deep if you follow it, and the games gameplay can be a little repetitive but it does offer a lot of freedom that other games doesnt feature, yes I even talk of the famous GTAIV. Because the physics of its freedom where you can climb basically everywhere is just jawdropping. And once you get a little stylish with the way you run from fights from ground to buildings you sometimes wished you had the feature to record your gameplay, cause it looks like what you did was straight out of the movies. Not to mention that their animations in the game is very detailed, I still think I havent done all the killing counter animations yet.I notice that your comment on the achievements of the 360 ported, breaks the immersion, and drive you from the intended gameplay. But I think its great they also ported that over for you. Because without the achievements thing, I wouldnt have been able to see the other areas of the game because the game itself is so big. With the achievements feature it gives you the guide to explore 100% of the game then if you did without it. Which I believe they wanted you to do. They added the achievements to help you explore areas that you usally never explore. I understand you that the rewards for unlocking the achievements is not satisfying, but you cant expect much from games that are only in development for a couple of years, and are only tied to fine tune its main features. You can only expect more in the sequel, because this is the first of the series. I am happily awaiting for the upcoming releases of the game, because I want to see where the story goes to. So far the game ends with a cliffhanger that makes you guess its future possibilties. But now that they got their engine down, Im certain their future sequel, will offer more to us than what was given to us with their first.

Yeah, it's not for everybody, but you do get more freedom once you get out of the tutorial. It's sort of on the same frame as Star Wars: Jedi Academy, only instead of smashing buttons for lightsabers, you doing it with swords.
I've taken a break from the game. I've had too much going on in real life to really sit down and work on it, though the plot is moving along. Every level adds a bit of difficulty. Probably the most fun assassination I had was a merchant locked in a castle. It was really the first time I could sneak around in earnest, and take down patrols and guards up on the guard towers silently. They didn't respawn either, which helped a lot add to the realism. I do wish the assassinations were a bit more stealthy than they are, though. Typically, you hit the target in a public place, such as an execution (as seen in the trailer).

What's a bit unbelievable is that once you stab the target, it goes into a long cutscene of a dialog between the main character and the target, with the target explaining the motives behind some stuff, and slowly reveal plot things... Meanwhile, you have the entire town's city guard standing around you (but you don't see them because you're backdropped in pure white) and once you leave the cutscene, the chase ensues, in which you have to escape, hide until they can't find you, and sneak back to the base of that city where the assassin's guild rep is to tell them you did the deed.

Overall, pretty fun, but needs to be taken in light doses after awhile.

I think I should just stick to shooters, strategy and racing ... lol.

xboxrulz

Well, I just beat the game. They did it again.... As in Crysis... they've already planned it out to be a trilogy, so basically in terms of story, we don't yet have the full picture of what the hell is going on. I hate that. Ever since Half Life 2 went out in episodic format, all these game companies are starting to make games that aren't finished in terms of plot. The problem with this idea though is that the game makers and their publishers rely on the fact that these games are going to be a big hit, and sell a million copies.Meanwhile, if a game is a flop, people who actually beat the game and want to know what happen after are disappointed when the game developers move onto more profitable titles... Similarly, Nickelodeon released seasons 1 and 2 of "The Adventures of Pete and Pete' (a tv show from the mid-90's) and they failed to release the 3rd season because they didn't sell enough of the first two... Meanwhile, people that DID buy it, are screwed. So if Assassin's Creed doesn't sell enough, or if the developers decide to focus on Prince of Persia or something, then we're all left wondering what the hell the point of the game is. I mean they give us the basic plot where the main character in the past is after these guys and we finally realize why later, etc. But the plot taking place in the "present" with our other main character, is unresolved. We know why he was kidnapped but we don't know what it was they are looking for for why he was kidnapped. I mean we see the last memory that the "bad guys" are looking for, but we don't know what it means... Overall, it's a good game, but I hate it when game developers hook us by making us buy a sequel just to find out what we spent $50 on the first game to play. So by making it a trilogy, basically they're forcing us to shell out $150 just to see what happens. (and more for the xbox 360 players forced to pay $60 for the same game).

Eagle eyeAssassin's Creed Pc Review

Hi,

When I press E on keyboard my screen turns white but I don't see any coloured figures except white!

What can I do to remedy this problem?

-question by peter Ioannou

i have heard many such problems out in other game forums toohope they find a solution to the problem you are facing peterwhy dont you join asta host and post in your queries its much easier to contact you in such a way that being a guest or anonymous

agreedAssassin's Creed Pc Review

hmmm I agree I hate it when you don't get the full storyline its just not right and then games that way over sell and never have even an updated release or remastering... Great example is   The legend of dragoon for ps1 awsome game loved it graphix bad for the in game though but story was great why cant they remake/remaster that game??? you know it would oversell again in notime

-reply by tasu guest