xisto Community
kanade

Linux For Beginners- Easy To Install

Ubuntu is very good, also if you get a chance you should try Sabayon, its a distro based on gentoo, quite complete and works with a lot of hardware, works well with wireless too.

Personally, I think that Ubuntu is quite easy to install by beginners. You can try it out without installing it by using the Live CD, although it is quite slow that way.
I've also heard of Mandriva and Knoppix as recommended beginner suggestions, but I haven't tried them out.

Ubuntu includes a variety of software that allows you to work productively and also for entertainment purposes. Most hardware is compatible but you may need to do a bit more in-depth hunting for some specialized components.

Other than that, give Ubuntu a try today!

I agree with firefoxrocks, Ubuntu is very easy to use for beginners. However, before you jump into the great world of linux, I suggest you research compatibility with your hardware. In my case, this was easy, and all I needed to to was run a program to get all my hardware working. Though it's best to check first. After that, you can download an ISO of ubuntu or order a free live CD, which you can try out before installing. When you're ready to install, just press the install icon on the live cd desktop and follow the instructions. When it's installed, you'll find openoffice for office work, and firefox for browsing, ready to use.

I agree with firefoxrocks, Ubuntu is very easy to use for beginners. However, before you jump into the great world of linux, I suggest you research compatibility with your hardware. In my case, this was easy, and all I needed to to was run a program to get all my hardware working. Though it's best to check first. After that, you can download an ISO of ubuntu or order a free live CD, which you can try out before installing. When you're ready to install, just press the install icon on the live cd desktop and follow the instructions. When it's installed, you'll find openoffice for office work, and firefox for browsing, ready to use.

one more point i want to add the ubuntu live CD is good for bigineers to start with and to do normal task. if you want to do some advance task and you want to stick to ubuntu only then you can update the ubuntu using the package update manager in the ubuntu. Which has got easy UI to do the update operation just by checking the required software to install. I think i have not seen such facility in any other Linux distrubution.

For absolute beginners I'd also recommend Ubuntu, lots and lots of noobishly explained info available on the net, altough I do prefer openSuse 11.0 because it feels more mature and advanced compared to the kiddy Ubuntu distro.

A server administrator allowed me to try openSuSE on a server machine (with the GUI of course) and I found it to be more familiar if I were a Windows user. It includes something that looks like the Start menu and popular programs. I think it runs on the KDE desktop environment so it includes Konqueror and Firefox.It may take a while to get used to, but I would recommend openSuSE or Ubuntu to a beginner. I don't know about the installation process of openSuSE but it shouldn't be too hard judging from the function of the operating system.

hi all..here in brazil, we use Kurumin.. it based on debian and it's easy to install and configure..but ubuntu is a good choice to who wants an easy Linux and complete.actually i'm using fedora core 8.. i'm happy with itand all companies are using itthese are my advices ;Pbye!

Whats so great about Linux and whats it used for and where do you get it from and what are you able to do with it great full for any answers what so ever this maybe a stupid question lol thank you so so so so so muchi truely am great full Cheers Jay

why you dont try fedora..it comes with user friendly installation process..and it also has various softwares auto distributed with the installation..it can be used as a web server..i find it rocking..u can either use a guided partiton or you can try manually..bycreating disk partition according to the below table--1. create a atleast 100mb ext3 partition and mount it as /boot2. create a atleast 4gb ext3 partition for installation files..mount point /root or /3. create a partition just double in size to your ram..as swap memory.4. its your wish to create a ext3 type partition for /home...to use it for ur storage..recommended 1gb or more..the all process is user friendly..and is quiet easily done.

Hello canalilha,Please help me with the installation of FEDORA on my PC. I already have WINDOWS XP on my machine But I want to use LINUX as my OS. Do I have to remove XP from my PC completely to install FEDORA ?I have both CD as well as DVD which should I use now as I am newbie.May I use Windows and fedora as my OSs ?Your response would be appreciated. Thank you