xisto Community
kanade

How To Copy File & Folders From Linux To Windows?.

Many face problem while transfering file from Linux to windows and Vise versa. My solution for this is "winscp405". Winscp is a windows freeware tool used to copy file from & to Linux machine.To get this tool just google for " winscp405" tool and download this small package and install.Enjoy working with Linux and windows :(

A probably more smarter solution is using samba. Samba allows you to share a Linux folder, reading it from the Windows system as if it were a windows shared folder. The advantage is that you can read the files without copying them.

I would just keep Samba if its a networked share, or I rather use NTFS-3G because FAT32 is no longer a valid solution as most files now-a-days are bigger than 2GB. Like HD movies are 1.5GB+. So basically, NTFS-3G is the better way to go until someone writes a ReiserFS or ext3 driver for Windows.xboxrulz

Many face problem while transfering file from Linux to windows and Vise versa.

You need to clarify how Linux and Windows are connected. If you have a dual-boot machine and you're after files from one to the other, do it from the Linux side. Linux can read anything (unencrypted) that Windows can write. It is easiest to keep track of things if you create a separate data partition that is accessible to both operating systems. That reduces the chance that you may accidentally damage something in the Windows operating system.

The tips mentioned above are important. FAT32 has major problems with really large files. NTFS is (unfortunately :( ) the only way to go with big (>2GB) files in Windows. A recent version of Linux should be able to write NTFS. If not, it will probably give you a warning. If you "must" stay in FAT32, the option on the Windows side is HJ-Split. The corresponding functions on Linux are split and cat, but the command-line invocations involve dd. They are pretty arcane, and dd can do really nasty things if it is fed the wrong parameters. If you decide to stay with FAT32 and split files, you are really better off doing it in Windows.

If your Linux and Windows machines are running simultaneously on a network, your best bet is Samba. There is a learning curve, but again, most modern versions of Linux have good defaults built in. With a properly configured Samba, Linux can read and write files on the Windows machine and Windows can read and write files on the Linux machine, depending of course on the permissions both machines have set. In this case there is no concern about correctly writing NTFS files on the Windows machine, because Windows native networking commands are performing the operations.

Most of my Linux work is on openSuSE. There, if you know how to interpret and use the /etc/fstab file, then it is an easy step to using the /etc/samba/smbfstab file. It lets you define partitions on the Windows machine so that they are accessible on bootup from the Linux machine, just like any Linux file. The samba files may be elsewhere on other Linuces.

copying files

I want to copy/transfer files from RH linux 9.0 to windows Xp . My system is dual boot. Both on linux and windows. I think you understand my problem and reply me positively.

Thanks

-reply by sanjeev

copying files or folders?you can use explore2fs-1.08beta3.. i use it since 2002 and i never had problem with it =Pthere are so many programs that do the same thingsearch on google and you will find one! :)it's not hard to find.. explore2fs!good luck man!

I use an ext3 reader for reading Ubuntu on Windows, but thats read-only (I think), called IFS. Ubuntu (and most linuxes) can natively read NTFS.

I use an ext3 reader for reading Ubuntu on Windows, but thats read-only (I think), called IFS. Ubuntu (and most linuxes) can natively read NTFS. canalilha Posted Yesterday, 03:20 AM
copying files or folders?

you can use explore2fs-1.08beta3.. i use it since 2002 and i never had problem with it =P
there are so many programs that do the same thing
search on google and you will find one!

it's not hard to find.. explore2fs!

good luck man!
Feedbacker Posted Jun 24 2008, 06:12 AM
copying files

I want to copy/transfer files from RH linux 9.0 to windows Xp . My system is dual boot. Both on linux and windows. I think you understand my problem and reply me positively.
Thanks

-reply by sanjeev
docduke Posted May 19 2008, 03:14 AM

You need to clarify how Linux and Windows are connected. If you have a dual-boot machine and you're after files from one to the other, do it from the Linux side. Linux can read anything (unencrypted) that Windows can write. It is easiest to keep track of things if you create a separate data partition that is accessible to both operating systems. That reduces the chance that you may accidentally damage something in the Windows operating system.

The tips mentioned above are important. FAT32 has major problems with really large files. NTFS is (unfortunately ) the only way to go with big (>2GB) files in Windows. A recent version of Linux should be able to write NTFS. If not, it will probably give you a warning. If you "must" stay in FAT32, the option on the Windows side is HJ-Split. The corresponding functions on Linux are split and cat, but the command-line invocations involve dd. They are pretty arcane, and dd can do really nasty things if it is fed the wrong parameters. If you decide to stay with FAT32 and split files, you are really better off doing it in Windows.

If your Linux and Windows machines are running simultaneously on a network, your best bet is Samba. There is a learning curve, but again, most modern versions of Linux have good defaults built in. With a properly configured Samba, Linux can read and write files on the Windows machine and Windows can read and write files on the Linux machine, depending of course on the permissions both machines have set. In this case there is no concern about correctly writing NTFS files on the Windows machine, because Windows native networking commands are performing the operations.

Most of my Linux work is on openSuSE. There, if you know how to interpret and use the /etc/fstab file, then it is an easy step to using the /etc/samba/smbfstab file. It lets you define partitions on the Windows machine so that they are accessible on bootup from the Linux machine, just like any Linux file. The samba files may be elsewhere on other Linuces.
not you Posted May 17 2008, 10:55 PM
If I were you, I'd just use a flash drive.
xboxrulz Posted May 17 2008, 05:10 AM
I would just keep Samba if its a networked share, or I rather use NTFS-3G because FAT32 is no longer a valid solution as most files now-a-days are bigger than 2GB. Like HD movies are 1.5GB+. So basically, NTFS-3G is the better way to go until someone writes a ReiserFS or ext3 driver for Windows.

xboxrulz
FirefoxRocks Posted May 17 2008, 04:41 AM
Or you can use NTFS-3G to allow Linux to have almost-native NTFS support. My better solution would be to share the files on a FAT32 partition.
yordan Posted May 16 2008, 09:20 PM
A probably more smarter solution is using samba. Samba allows you to share a Linux folder, reading it from the Windows system as if it were a windows shared folder. The advantage is that you can read the files without copying them.
kanade Posted May 15 2008, 11:47 AM

My solution for this is "winscp405". Winscp is a windows freeware tool used to copy file from & to Linux machine.

To get this tool just google for " winscp405" tool and download this small package and install.

Enjoy working with Linux and windows

lol i dnt even under stand lol explain more

Notice from Yordan:

I added some quotes in order to make this part more readable

Putting in my own two cents on a slightly different slant...

If copying, say a plain text document from Linux to Windows, remember that the endline characters are sometimes different. The command line...

unix2dos <filename>

...should convert the plain text file into a version that won't have black squares (or variation of) instead of ENTER.

Putting in my own two cents on a slightly different slant...

If copying, say a plain text document from Linux to Windows, remember that the endline characters are sometimes different. The command line...

unix2dos <filename>

...should convert the plain text file into a version that won't have black squares (or variation of) instead of ENTER.

Nicely seen, Lancer.

And, of course, "unix2dos" is not a Windows command, so you should issue while you are on the Linux machine.

By the way, personally, I never have these black squares.

This is because I have the opposite problem, when being under Unix and reading a pure text coming from a windows/dos machine, I have a lot of "^M" at the end of my text files.

Then, the trick is to know some "vi" command-lines.

My trick : you open your text file under vi ("vi myfile.txt" for instance), and when you see your file on the screen you type :

Esc : % s/Ctrl-VCtrl-M//

All people familiar with vi understand the thing immediately, maybe I should comment it for a few ones :

Esc stands for the Escape key, you really type the escape key (at the upper-left side of your keyboard), this initializes the command-line sequence.

% stands for "In the whole current document"

s means "substitute the text between the first two "/" separators, with the text before the last "/"

Ctrl-V means that you hold the Ctrl key (bottom right of your keyboard) why you time the v key. Ctrl-V is a command telling vi not to evaluate the sign which follows it.

Ctrl-M means means pressing the Ctrl key while pressing M.

This Ctrl-VCtrl-M is a nice feature. It asks vi not to evaluate the Ctrl-M, which is Enter, and Enter is also a vi command which means "go to the next line".

So, the whole command line is saying vi , for each occurrence of Ctrl-M, to replace it with nothing.

This seems rather complicated. However, once you get the trick, it goes fast. And you are not bothered by the Ctrl-M's at the end of each line when you are on Linux editing files coming from a windows or dos system.

Of course, if you installed correctly your Linux system and you did not start editing your file yet, you can still type

dos2unix myfile.txt

This was my own 21 cents to this subject.

Yordan

When i simply copy a file in windows drive from ubuntu.I am not able to see the file in windowsHow To Copy File & Folders From Linux To Windows?.

Hi.I have two operating systems in my PC.One is ubuntu 8.10 and other one is windows XP.

Problems are

1-. When I copy a file from USB to Windows drive using ubuntu.So when I turn on the windows I am not able to see that copied file or folder.

2-when I turn on the ubuntu again.Then the copied file will be disappear.

But sometimes when I copy some file or folder from USB to windows drive using ubuntu.Then sometimes I am able to find that file in both operating systems.

So please any one can help.Thank You.

How to find what files are located on a partitionHow To Copy File & Folders From Linux To Windows?.

Hi,

I needed to clean up some of the files in Linux parition /dev/sda3. When I run du -f it shows that /dev/sda3 is full and its the root(/). How can I find out what other folders and files on this partition?

Thanks in advance,

Ram.