xisto Community
JohnNitro

Need Help Making My Ftp Work my ftp is not working

I get this message: Status: Resolving IP-Address for ftp.losangelesmagazine.netStatus: Connecting to 68.178.232.100:21...Error: Connection timed outError: Could not connect to serverI have used this this ftp before so I know it works. Is there any help anyone can give me? I would really appreciate any help with this and anyother topic I posted as I just activated my account today and I'm trying to figure out what to do to make this work so I can upload wordpress. I used the server and users name that I saw on cpanel and the message above is what I got. Thanks in advance for any help I get. -JohnNitro

Do have the web site in question hosted with GoDaddy.com? The domain is currently parked there as a courtesy parking indicating that the domain is not yet parked with a host or the URL has yet to propagate.

The url has been there for ages. Xisto has no names servers identified. I don't know where to point my domain to propagate. When I went through the process for activation the name servers were the ones it already had on godaddy.com If you or anyone can help me with this issue I would appreciate it. Again thanks for the help I'm getting with this and for any other questions I ask.

The url has been there for ages. Xisto has no names servers identified. I don't know where to point my domain to propagate. When I went through the process for activation the name servers were the ones it already had on godaddy.com If you or anyone can help me with this issue I would appreciate it. Again thanks for the help I'm getting with this and for any other questions I ask.

hey johnnitro. Let me try to help.

You have two choices.

You can do this:

1. Go to http://www.dnspark.com/ and create an account.

2. Add your domain name (losangelesmagazine.net) to the dns services at dnspark. They will provide you with nameserver info for dnspark.

3. Go to godaddy.com, login, and change the nameservers for your domain, to the dnspark ones.

4. go to dnspark.net, sign in, go to your domain, and add a "A" record (host record) like this:

# | Type | Hostname .losangelesmagazine.net | TTL | Dyn | IP Address

New | A | @(or just leave it blank) .losangelesmagazine.net | 3600 | no (uncheck) | 208.87.243.146

New | CNAME | www .losangelesmagazine.net | 3600 | no (uncheck) | 208.87.243.146

New | CNAME | ftp .losangelesmagazine.net | 3600 | no (uncheck) | 208.87.243.146

5. wait

6. wait some more

7. this should take some time, as DNS records needs to propagate around the world.

8. give it another 5 minutes

9. try to ping your site: go to start, run... type cmd, and in the DOS windows, type:

C:\> ping losangelesmagazine.net
if you get a response from IP 208.87.243.146 then your site is ready to go

Now you can use your ftp client and you wont get an error :D, you can use both ftp.losangelesmagazine.net or just losangelesmagazine.net to log on your ftp account.

OR you could do this.

1. Sign in at godaddy's website

2. go to your account

3. change the dns nameservers for your site, this time use the computinghosts nameservers (i think those are ns.computinghost.com and ns2.computinghost.com)

4. wait for a few, go drink coffee :P

5. done, your site should be up and running, and you should be able to access your ftp account, but this time use this address:

ftp

server: losangelesmagazine.net (without the ftp subdomain)

login and password for your cpanel/ftp account.

the second option is easier, troubleless but I personally prefer the 1st one, since I can add my own subdomains and point to different sites / IPs, for example, home.losangelesmagazine.net could point to my home PC IP address, and you can't do that unless you have an independed DNS service, like the ones dnspark.net provides :( (for free)

hope it helps

I get this message: Status:
Resolving IP-Address for ftp.losangelesmagazine.net
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

I have used this this ftp before so I know it works. Is there any help anyone can give me? I would really appreciate any help with this and anyother topic I posted as I just activated my account today and I'm trying to figure out what to do to make this work so I can upload wordpress. I used the server and users name that I saw on cpanel and the message above is what I got. Thanks in advance for any help I get. -JohnNitro

Does your website work and only your FTP isn't? If so just use gamma.xisto.com as your FTP URL.

xboxrulz

Thanks for the info mikesoft. I'm going to try that at the moment and see if it works. I'll try the easy one as I want to get to work on it as soon as possible. I really appreciate the help and that you took the time out to help me with this issue. I'll give you an update in a few to see if either step one or two worked for me. Thanks again and to all that posted and added to this and gave information that will eventually lead to the resolution of this issue. Many thanks.

xboxrulz, yes the site works. It's park on godaddy.com is that what you mean by does it work? If so then yes its working just fine since I'm paying for it to work and be there. Paying for the domain name and all.... I will also try what you said about using the ftp url to see if that works. But if that doesn't work well will see if mikesofts way works. Either way thanks a lot for the help and I will keep posting update to this issue as I want to get it resolved and start working on my site. But just in case it doesn't work, what other idea do you have?? Thanks for the future advice on this and other topics, post and issues you all will and I hope you do help me with.

Hopefully I didn't missunderstand your question :(

I Think that your problem is that you can't enter with a FTP client?

You do not acctaully need one. IF you are hosted on Xisto,

you can try to do the following.

Quote by yordan

by the way, it works with Internet explorer and some clicks :

In IE6, instad of http:something, enter ftp:yourname@yoursite.astahost.com (or username@remotecomputernameorIP

You will see a box asking confirmation for yourname and your password.

more info -> Here

hopefully I understood you question right.

xboxrulz, yes the site works. It's park on godaddy.com is that what you mean by does it work? If so then yes its working just fine since I'm paying for it to work and be there. Paying for the domain name and all.... I will also try what you said about using the ftp url to see if that works. But if that doesn't work well will see if mikesofts way works. Either way thanks a lot for the help and I will keep posting update to this issue as I want to get it resolved and start working on my site. But just in case it doesn't work, what other idea do you have?? Thanks for the future advice on this and other topics, post and issues you all will and I hope you do help me with.

Why not simply give the Xisto servers full control of your domain name by giving GoDaddy our nameserver address. It reduces problems and it's known to work for a lot of people including me (I use GoDaddy as well)

Our nameservers are:
ns.computinghost.com
ns2.computinghost.com

As for having the site work, I meant that you can load your own web page hosted on our servers.

xboxrulz

xboxrulz:Yeah if that's what you meant then no it's not working. I can't upload anything to it. No themes, images, ...etc.. I have added the server names will check it as soon as possible. At the moment handling a video editing project for someone. Thanks for the help. I will make sure to put all this good info to good use.

hey thanks a lot for all your help guys. I did want you told me to do and it works great. The only issue I had was when I added WP to it, but I fix that my self. I added the wrong file in the wrong directory. but all the help I had from you all was great and it help me get it done. Thanks for replying fast and giving me good information that was really helpful. I really like this place you all as mad helpful and always give good advice and help. Except if the post it dumb then it gets flamed but there are people that do reply to dumb post with good info that is helpful. Hope you all will always be here to help me with issues that I have cause I know i will need it till I get really good at this. When that happens i will be the one helping the people that have issues one here. Is this a error that people get a lot or was this a first? And if it happens a lot why hasn't this been added to the install process post. Think this information will be helpful to people that have this same issue. Well ok thats all I have to say. Thanks again for all the help and the help you all will give in the future.

I get this message: Status:
Resolving IP-Address for ftp.losangelesmagazine.net
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

I have used this this ftp before so I know it works. Is there any help anyone can give me? I would really appreciate any help with this and anyother topic I posted as I just activated my account today and I'm trying to figure out what to do to make this work so I can upload wordpress. I used the server and users name that I saw on cpanel and the message above is what I got. Thanks in advance for any help I get. -JohnNitro

Are you using Internet Explorer.
If you are you have to right click and click login.
Your username should be losangelesmagazine.net and your password should be the password for the web hosting.

Make sure you use Internet Explorer

I don't know how to work that FTP but I do know a lot of others.
If you run Windows Vista you can do it through that; it's pretty easy to learn.
If you use Mozilla Firefox you can get an add on called Fire FTP which is the best FTP I have ever used.

Thanks,

Paul.

I've never heard of Fire FTP I just use Core FTP Lite. However, since I use Firefox as my default browser I may give that extension a try. I like FTP Programs that have the Windows Explorer Interface look, which to me, makes them simplest to use.

is ftp installed?which port the ftp uses? there are some settings that you have to know =|try to search some informations settings in your ftp provider or with the administrator system.. this can help you! :)