xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

How Do I Install Solaris?

Well I saw this subforum on Xisto and thought that I would give Solaris a try after all I have Linux installed. I went onto the Sun Microsystems site and downloaded OpenSolaris but I cannot get it to install.I burned the ISO image onto a CD-R and proceeded to boot into it. At the GRUB bootloader, I chose the first option (the non-text one) and it started booting.After about half an hour, the GUI came up and it looks A LOT like Ubuntu Linux. The computer was very unresponsive at this time and it took 5 minutes to click on the System menu. Then I tried to find the install button but it froze before I could open up the administration menu. A GNOME error popped up and the system froze.My question is, does OpenSolaris demand high memory requirements or other system requirements that my computer does not meet? I have Ubuntu and Windows XP installed and I am prepared to make a new partition if necessary.I also tried booting into the text version but that did not work either. Should I use the Live CD at all or is there another way to install it?

Do you have at least 512 MB RAM? Check the minimum requirements before installing the operating system.

Yes I have exactly 512 MB of RAM. Where do I find the list of system requirements? I've looked on several documentations and wikis but I couldn't find it.

Did you try the "do not use graphics" option ? Maybe you have an old graphic adapter, or a big part of your 512 megs is shared for you graphic adapter, so not available for Unix.

Yes, I tried using the standard version as well as the text-based console. Both didn't work. By the way, I have 1 MB of shared video memory on the computer I'm using now.

what graphics adapter do you have?Maybe it's just missing that 1MB it requires? I have no clue, never installed Solaris before. Most likely it needs that much RAM is because it was designed to be a server OS never as a workstation really.xboxrulz

On my newer system, I have 4 GB RAM and plenty of hard disk space. The liveCD still doesn't boot up. I get to the GRUB boot menu and then it freezes there after I select an option. Solaris sounds interesting, but I can't even get the OS to boot!

Same here, installed Solaris on my laptop and my other pc, both where extremely unresponsive and unstable. I've tried several of their distributions (they've send me 2 DVDs with some distro's on it) and none of them worked descently :rolleyes:

You shouldn't install Solaris on laptops because they don't really have a laptop optimized core nor services making the battery not last as long.You should install OpenSolaris on your desktop since it's a full fledge Solaris distribution.xboxrulz