xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LegallyHigh

Dihydrogen Monoxide

I was randomly browsing the web yesterday when I found This Site about Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO), and all the negative effects the Compound has on people and the environment. I actually bought into the idea at first, but I kept looking back at the words Dihydrogen Monoxide, and finally figured out it was only a joke, a good one at that though, it had me running for a while. Has anyone else here ever heard of this website, or been fooled by it?

I haven't seen sites about it but a buddy gave me a printout of an article about it back when I was in high school that had assumedly similar information about all the dangers of this horrid substance. Unfortunately I caught the H20 aspect fast enough to ruin his fun but alot of other people seemed pretty concerned hehe. Ah memories

Haha its just the way they play it. Basically people are so used to hearing it as "H20" they dont alway associate it immediately with dihydrogen monoxide, which sounds more scientific and complicated. Coupled with a serious tone of potential danger results in a lot of people being tricked into worrying about this crazy new chemical haha. It's all just a joke :(

I read about this on Snopes, it's quite interesting how some MPs, mainly in australia, actually requested it to be banned. Apparently a foam container for a town celebration in the US somewhere was not used because it contained Dihydrogen Monoxide. A good joke to fool people, seeing as I am in high school, I'll try and trick some people with it, next time we need to do a chemistry-related presentation.

I think this is one of those samples of old jokes or false stories finding new life on the internet. When I was in high school in the eighties our science teacher tried to pull this one on us. I think poeple hear the monoxide part and associate it with carbon monoxide. Really careful reading simply shows that di-(two) hydrogen and mon(one)oxide(oxygen) is abviosly H^2O.

This can really fool a lot of people, due to it sounds so scientific and most of people don't get it, because they usually don't think and most of people forget about basic chemistry, especially if they did not like chemistry to much, personally I didn't like it in school, but when in the university we need to learn it a bit, for half year, I quite got all the basics, in school I usually liked ti skip that and that :(