xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Senor_Grunt

So, I Want To Try Out Linux. What do I need?

If I want to use Linux, would I need XP or a OS on a LAPTOP already? Or can I just pure boot Linux? I've wanted to use Linux for a while, preferably Ubuntu. Unless those are two completely different things. :( I don't know, I have never used Linux before. :P So, any help?

Linux is an OS, so you don't need an OS on your laptop. If you just want to try out linux then it's best to use a LiveCD, this way you can boot linux from a CD without installing it on your hdd (and without altering anything on your hdd). If you don't like it, then you simply throw away the liveCD and you can continue using windows without wasting time. If you like windows, you can usualy can install it from the liveCD, but that's another story :( .

The first thing to try, is of course, as others have mentioned, a live CD. But before that, google up information on your hardware, to see if they're compatible. I had a useless suse installation a while ago because I didn't do that step.

It sounds like you have a laptop that is ready and waiting for an OS? If you have a laptop that's currently blank I see no reason to not just install Ubuntu (or another distro, but ubuntu was a good choice on your part) and dive right into it. If you want to learn about linux the best way is to cut the ties from windows and go full boar into it. Especially if its not going to risk ruining your main platform I say go for it, install ubuntu and enjoy the world of linux. Ubuntu has an amazing user base at ubuntuforums.org as wel that are a ton of help if you come up against challenges in your linuxing

Download a version of Ubuntu on a friend's machine, or another one you have, and burn it to CD, then boot off that, assuming that the laptop recognizes the CD drive still.

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

A version of Ubuntu is the best to begin with because it. There are three flavour:Ubuntu: runs GnomeKubuntu: runs KDEXUbuntu; runs XCFESo now you are probably wondering what Gnome, KDE and XFCE are? These 'programs' are the desktop environments, they define the look and feel of linux and also offer you a set of applications (some applications only work on KDE while others only work on Gnome), tools, utilities, games, ... XFCE is a special one because it's a lightweight desktop environment, it's bit harder to begin with, but very usefull if your laptop is on the slow side.Installing a ubuntu version is very easy. You download the ISO file, burn it on a cd, boot your laptop from it and when Ubuntu has started, you simply click the 'install ubuntu' icon on the desktop and the installation wizard starts. Pretty straightforward :( .

Uguntu Live CDSo, I Want To Try Out Linux.

I have tried 2 different live cd of above and both discs crash after about 5-10 mins, black screen have to shut down and remove cd before boot or the same happens again, really disappointed as I want to try linux, do you think it is probably some hardware item,  it could not be 2 faulty discs could it. Raw beginner looking for help

Geri

-question by Deri

Does the desktop show up or it's booting forever into black screen ? It might be due to the problems with video card drivers. Can you try different boot menu options ?BTW there is boot menu option to test the disc. Use it first and you'll know if your CD burning application did the right thing. If it fails, try to burn CD at lower speed.