xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beppo

Windows Vista How would you rate it?

I like windows vista, It has a unique design and security system...Although it's just another copy of WindowsXP, Except different design and some new features, Here are my overall ratings:Design Rating : 8/10 - I think i give it 8/10 because i like the design but even sometimes i find design faults/bugs in them.System Rating : 7/10 - I give this 7/10 because the system is unique but also sometimes very fustrating to use.New Features : 8/10 - I'm giving the new features 8/10, Simpy because there are some bugs i've found in lots of new features that Vista has.Overall Rating : 10/10 - My overall rating is 10/10, This is because the whole thing is very easy to use, It may have bugs but i believe they can be fixed easily.So what do you think..?, Please do what i just did above :(, Lets see how you like it.

Edited by Beppo (see edit history)

Design Rating: 7/10 (copied most of the good stuff from MacOS X ... Start Menu stuff finally sort alphabetically by itself but Desktop still have issues with it.)System Rating: 5/10 (sluggish unless you have a lot of RAM, I now have 4GB and is now as fast as a 2 or 2.5GB RAM on Windows XP)New Features: 6/10 (there hasn't been much new features, better x64 support, I have to give Microsoft kudos on that ... other than that, I also give points for DX10, the only thing I really see that is new and exciting.)Security Controls: 7/10 (finally a UNIX like elevation process ... not running as full administrator and asking the user for a password (if they are running as standard user) or asking them to confirm whenever there's a system file change; if administrator)Overall rating 6.5/10

Design Rating : 7/10 - Designwise, I give it a 7. It like the sleek, black look, especialy compared to the ugly blue Luna theme, but there are a few features I do not like about the Aero theme like the green stuff (lock-screen, the image on the left in explorer, ...) and the bulky-ness of the Aero interface (resources and inefficient use of desktop space, the Win2K look is slimmer).System Rating : 7/10 - System wise I give it a 7, it does a great job at multitasking and if you tweak it a lot then memory usage isn't much of a problem either. Software support (especialy games and not-the-latests-versions of more advanced programs like Solidworks, Xilinx Platform Studio and even Microsoft's own VirtualPC) is still a bit of a problem, altough for more daily applications the support is great. Driver wise it is still somewhat behind (eg. I can't find drivers on the nV website for my Mobile 7300). Speedwise there's still a lot to do when it comes to responsiveness and filesystem actions are also a bit on the slow side. Stability has improved a lot, but I still get BSsOD when I resume from hibernation or standby, but explorer crashes or BSsOD while working are very minimal.New Features : 4/10 - There are some new features in Vista like superfetch, readyboost, diagnostic services, sidebar, improved security rules, better firewall, windows defender, ... but (and a big but) those features are far from revolutionary nor worked out well enough to be special (to be honest, the only that I use from the features I just mentioned is the windows firewall because it does a great job at limiting access when using public networks).Overall Rating : 8,5/10 - Overall, I give it an 8,5/10, that is more than the average of my scores, but that's because I don't use Vista how it comes by default. Once you have configured Vista the way you like and by tweaking the settings a bit you actualy get a very good OS. It looses some point because you first have to spend a lot of time changing things, some annoying/useless features can't be disabled and performance is sometimes a bit behind XP.

Design Rating : 8/10; It is very sleek, but what lets it down is the lack of customization. There is a way round this by performing a DLL Patch with VistaGlazz and downloading some styles off the Internet.

System Rating : 7/10; Very rarely have I experienced crashes with Vista, the only times is when the RAM gives up when I am running multiple programs at once (Around 8) and when I am using software that isn't ready for Vista...

New Features : 6/10; Some good new features have been introduced with Vista, like the Windows Network Map, which admittedly needs to be updated to work with XP, but it is spoiled with the new User Account Control (UAC for short). Their is absolutely no need for it and it is a pain in the bum. ReadyBoost is good, though.

Overall Rating : 8.5/10; More than the average as Vista is tweakable... and once you do them tweaks it is a lot bettter.

Design rating: 4/10; First of all, it would have been really cool to have the XP interface in a non out-of-the-box way. I think the design it's nothing new and besides, it's too overloaded, and not as customizable as other OS. If Microsoft is trying to copy MAC OS X or Linux, this would have been something they shouldn't have missed. (but as a matter of fact they are copying them). It's more flexible than XP but doing simple tasks such as navigating can be confusing and a terrible experience for begginer and/or mid users. It has tons of features and thnigs that you could do faster in XP, such as changing the wallpaper. Even that simple task requires more steps than it's previous version and it's extemly bad organized. Thousands of features can be merged without making such a mes like it happens in the Control Panel.System rating: 6/10; It's a Ram hog, I won't recommend this for users with less tha 1GB of RAM, but it's crashless than XP and even more stable in certain tasks. Although it's better, you are into serious stuff when it has a problem.New features: 2/10; Does it have any? It does not add any new features for the normal user, it's just XP with it's features rearrenged. They've change the order of everything and it's quite a jump to get used to it because on the differences. Not a lot of features added, it's more like a merge of Windows Media Center+XP with the Aero interface, wich is just an annoying feature.Overall Rating; 4/10. I think I explain myself why.-reply by Marcos