xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LegallyHigh

Best Program To Tune Up An Old Computer?

Alright, the computer I'm on now runs well, however, the laptop, which I received from my Grandpa is a bit slow, in fact, it is very, very slow. I'm pretty sure at some point, though, it was a bit faster. Could anyone recommend me a program that could boost the speed by optimizing the computer, or by deleting some clutter, or repairing the registry. I remember I've tried before with some optimization programs on this computer, but since I used free programs (I don't want to pay for a program for the slow Laptop, either) I could only use half of the optimization tools in the program, and the rest you could only use if you purchased, like a Try and Buy Scheme. So does anyone know a 100% free program that could possibly boost this old Laptops Performance?

The first thing I would reccomend is installing linux on it instead of windows xp if that is the current OS on it. Linux can be much more resource friendly leaving a lot more for the applications you want to run to use. If you don't like linux or don't want to try it out I know there are some programs out there but I doubt any have that much ability to show drastic improvements.Basic things you can do to try to get the most out of it are:-Run programs like adaware or spybot search and destroy (both free or have free versions) to limit the amount of spyware cluttering the system down-Run windows defrag a couple times to sort the drives out. If it's old it's probably heavily fragmented which can cause some slowdown-Make sure there is a bit of free space on the hard drive(s) for swap space-Turn off applications that are set to boot when windows starts up. These often hog lots of resources and also often you don't even realize they are starting up.

After a fresh, brand new reformat, I make sure to keep up with newly installed programs, and seeing if I can take them off of running at startup. Then I try to limit how much gets loaded onto my PC, and try to stick to trusted sites. I guess you could put adware and spyware, but it basically means you have to be careful in the sites you explore. You can always make sure you have only what you want on your PC, like firewalls and antiviruses. Other programs may help but sometimes want to run constantly in the background. These will run along side your other applications, as long as it doesn't take all of the process speeds.So a good basic rule to follow is that if you are worried about how your PC runs, then try to keep to programs that you know, and be careful with what you are installing and running...

The best thing to do is to re-install the OS entirely. Switching to Linux can add new life to old machines as pointed out. Though going that route I suggest KDE over Gnome for the desktop. Deleting a bloated pagefile.sys can be helpful as well.

I wouldn't use a tweaking tool, mostly because the tweaks don't offer any improvement and sometimes even downgrade performance.

A few tips:

Disable the windows themes, go for the lightweight win2k look

Disable unused services

Uninstall unsed programs

Update the drivers and maybe even flash the BIOS (altough finding a newer BIOS for an older laptop will be difficult).

If it doesn't have enough RAM, see if you can add an extra module

Hopes this helps :)

I agree that tweaking and optimization programs are not the best option, since they don't significantly tune-up your old computer. Your best option if you wish to continue using the old computer is to reduce the number of running programs at any one time (including automatic start-up programs). Another option would be to install a fresh new operating system that is less demanding on system resources that are available on the computer.However, it must be said that there will be a point where you cannot speed up your computer any further due to the limitations of the hardware of the old computer. Even most cheap computers nowadays are more powerful than older technology, because technology is growing at an ever increasing rate.

I think what you need to do, and I'm not sure if your up for the challenge or have time is.... to do a thorough install. I'm talking going online, doing the Everest Ultimate Edition to find out what you actually have under the hood of your laptop. Go to the manufactures web site, look for manuals, literature, notes, forums, FAQ's on your model, supported OS's, what bios/driver updates are available. Then you download everything you can find on it. Read those manuals to find out the peak operational capacity. Then compare your findings with the new features from the BIOS updates. Then if gramp's didn't have the top of the line model available at the time - find out what he was lacking. Then verify that with what people tried -- google search. Then when you finally mapped out an upgrade path you would like to take... go for it. Flash bios, Reinstall your chosen OS, load the drivers, do whatever necessary update which would apply for your needs. Then install your software programs and do their updates. One that is taken care of set to manual or disable unnecessary services, do regedits, and whatever so called tweaks that are proven or you are familiar with. Just try to keep your spurs from jingling and jangling - testing tweaks. Test run you usual applications, go online, play games for a couple of days, then do a defrag, then run a cleaning/optimizing software. Finally when satisfied. Create a restore point, Norton Ghost/backup, or whatever kind of recovery CD(s)/DVD(s) so you can fall back to it should something happen. Oh most important -- Document everything you do, or didn't do. This will help you if you want to do it again, make a key alteration in your system, or create a similar configuration a newer laptop -- Cause by now your will have just starting to get your feet wet in creating system images.On the laptop end. Opt to get a new laptop hard drive you system will support. No only will you benefit from more space, faster RPM, better response time, but you will also have the benefit of better/higher cache size and lower power requirements. You laptop will be able to run longer than the manufacture published running time. Memory also helps. A new BIOS also helps with better hardware support for memory and processor functions. If the laptop has a good amount of memory then you can try memory/cache optimizations. Also better processors Pentium Mobile, Centrino, Core 2 Duo, and whatever the latest processors if you on the AMD side. Also look into PCMCIA card which house flash memory. You software can be installed on it instead of using a hard drive which is slow and drains batteries faster. There may be other option available to for your configuration but you'd have to do your research.Good luck,Levimage.PS. I just rebuilt two PC(s) running Windows 98 SE. I was surprised in the performance of one PC after a bios update - that came out two years later (version 13) from the factory release one (version 3).

A few ways to tune up your old computer would include.Free up space - Remove old useless programs that require lots of space. The space on the HD itself may not slowdown the computer but programs often run in the background that might slow it down. Also by freeing up some space you could set up virtual ram partitions allowing for more programs to be run.Virus scan - There is a high probability your system has viruses I suggest using AVG or Avast for viruses and Stinger for Spyware.Use msconfig (run --> msconfig) - This will allow you to turn off programs that startup automatically. You would be surprised how many services start up that you don’t really need. There are lots of websites with a list of windows required services just Google "Windows <version> required software."Over Clock - This will probably be the most effective but is the most dangerous to destroying your computer permanently. The main thing to watch for is temperature. Most Computer have a temperature warning siren, when you hear it just turn off your computer and wait for it to cool down. Anyway to over clock simply turn on your computer and press delete (right as you turn it on continuously pressing or holding down delete until something pops up is the best way to get to the menu in my opinion though some will disagree). Once the system menu comes up go to CPU settings and set your CPU GHz you will need to enter in a number between the system min and max. The higher the number the faster your computer goes but the hotter it gets. Linux - If that doesn't work well enough for you I strongly recommend using Linux. Ubuntu is my favorite. Linux will run most windows software also (except software designed for vista and some XP software). Just download wine. I will agree Jeight and just about every other post so far that Linux is probably the best way to go for an old computer.Hope this helps,Sparkx