xisto Community
iGuest

2 System32 Dll's Missing :o Help me please

Hi.Recently I had this "Trojan Downloader" and after it was REMOVED from my computer I restarted it. (It was recommended) After logging back on, I get the error RUNDLL, and it shows the names of the files missing.I run a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, 704 MB of RAM.I really need help getting these files back.Thanks

which ones are missing ? Googleing for these dll's usualy brings you to a website where you can download them.

Also, check out this dll library to make sure that missing dll's aren't virus/malware related: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/

Use the repair functionality of your XP disk to repair the OS. Simply launch from the disk when prompted then select the repair option. The on screen instructions should be able to guide you through the process.

Can you log into windows at all or is it giving the boot error message? I simply ask as if not, it might be worthwhile to throw in Knoppix or another bootable linux live cd to make sure that the windows directory wasn't completely manhandled because if so fixing a few dll's won't actually fix the install of windows, it'll just keep cycling through "corrupt or missing" files until you slowly rebuild the OS haha.

Use the repair functionality of your XP disk to repair the OS. Simply launch from the disk when prompted then select the repair option. The on screen instructions should be able to guide you through the process.

Now you mention it, if it's a default windows dll-file, then you can copy it from the disc, but you'll have to use to command prompt for this.
For example, if btsendto.dll is missing, then you have to enter the following rule:
expand d:\i386\btsendto.dl_ c:\windows\system32\btsendto.dll
if d: is your cd-rom drive that contains the xp installation cd

ComRadKeL, I think it's very likely that the dll missing is the malware that you just removed. But your registry entries might still refer to it at the services or run section. What you can do is check the name of the 2 dll plus their location shown in the rundll error dialog, see if those are legit system dll file. You can also post the file and it's location here. Once confirm those are not legit dll files, you can do a search in the registry for the file, and delete entries related to it.Be warn, registry editing is quite dangerous, and might render your system unbootable if done wrongly.Another way to check is to bootup in safe mode (Press F5 after BIOS screen but before Windows' screen show up). In safe mode, those additional entries normally don't get call up, so the error dialog shouldn't appear.Anyway, the best to to find out about the missing dll first, then you can decide what to do next.

If you are not experienced with computers, I suggest you either repair the Windows XP installation using the original or OEM Windows XP disc, or you can try restoring the computer to an earlier point by using the System Restore functionality. To perform a system restore, start you computer into the Windows XP Safe Mode, logon to your user with Administrator priveleges, and click on System Restore in the start menu (It can be found in the Accessories>System Tools folder).

Cannot find rst23.Dll in folder: WindowsSystem32 Always error message after successfully installed adobe photoshop CS2 - ( application failed to open - rst23.Dll cannot be found )Please help if there solutions for this. Thanks -reply by affendi