xisto Community
Chonfi

Laptop Auto Starts After Turning It Off

My laptop auto starts after I turn it off. I was told by a friend that an internet signal was the cause for the laptop to turn itself back on but I already verified that's not the case. Every time I turn off the computer, I have wait until it starts back and then press and hold on to the on/off button to turn it off. After I do that it doesn't restarts. Any suggestions?

Edited by Chonfi (see edit history)

I can't think of any other cause either. Do you connect to the Internet using your LAN connection? If so, it could be a WOL network message being sent from the network. Remember, just stopping the client provided by your ISP won't be enough as it is still connected to the network. Check the advanced configuration properties of your network adapter. There will be a setting to disable the Wake On Link/LAN feature.

Thank you for the email, turbopowerdmaxsteel. I have DSL, and my laptop is connected to the router. I wish I knew ow to ceck te advanced configuration properties of my network adapter. But, like I said, this happens even if my laptop is not connected to the router.

it's a laptop, so my guess is it would have to be something about the bateries, and/or the bios setup. That's just on top of my head right now, can't think of anything else really...oh wait, how are you shutting down your computer? pressing the power button once while in windows?Maybe windows is configured to "reboot" and not shutdown after you press the power button on your laptop, that could be the case. To check right-click any empty spot in your desktop and click properties, go to "screen saver" and then click on "power".go to the advanced tab and see what it says on the frame below:"when I press the power button on my computer:" -- be sure that it says "shutdown" or at least "ask me what to do"But that only applies if you're shutting down by pushing that button. If you are not, then tell me how :)

Hi, Mikesof:I always turn off my laptop by turning of windows, i.e. press start and then I select shut down. Windows does what it's supposed to do but then the laptop re-starts. It may happen right away, half a minute later or a minute later. Since I got the laptop (a refurbished Targa) in December I've had that problem. I took it back to the place where I bought it but since they it apparently didn't happen there, they didn't believe me. Anyway, since I got the computer, it hasn't turned itself back on about three times. I was told that after turning it off, to shut the screen but it makes no difference, the laptop restarts even if I shut the screen. The only way for me to turn it down is to hold the on/off button as soon as the laptops restarts and then it shuts down.By the way, I sent Targa (https://www.targa.de/eng/targa/)an email telling them about my problem and this is what they replied: "thank you for your inquiry to the technical support. Please make a complete recovery from the Easy Install disc that came with the laptop. This you can start by restarting the unit with the disc in. Before that remember to take backup copies of your important data. After complete recovery, install the drivers from the Easy Install disc too. This should help with the turning off problem."When I purchased the refurbished laptop, it came with Windows XP Professional. The original OS is Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks for your help.

When I purchased the refurbished laptop, it came with Windows XP Professional. The original OS is Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks for your help.

You should have two CD-Keys then, one that came on the laptop initially, XP Home, (probably on a sticker on the bottom) and then the XP Pro one that came when you purchased it. If you don't have both of these keys then they probably substituted one for the other at the refurbishing center and considered it an upgrade. If this is the case you should be able to just install your windows xp pro edition on the laptop, rather than the reinstall of the OEM software, you can do this by reformatting your hard drive and just installing a fresh copy of windows yourself (if you don't have the discs you can buy them, or borrow one from a friend). In this case don't forget to download all the necessary drivers beforehand so you can install them without any problems.

On another note, I know in Vista you can enter the product key for any version of vista on any install disc and it will install the correct distribution based on the key provided. I'm not sure if XP had this sort of functionality, I don't think it did, but it might be worth researching into if you have no other way of keeping XP Pro installed (I really wouldn't suggest using XP Home as it is no longer supported with bugfixes and updates, but Pro will be for several more years...)

Regards,
the Doc.

On another note, I know in Vista you can enter the product key for any version of vista on any install disc and it will install the correct distribution based on the key provided. I'm not sure if XP had this sort of functionality, I don't think it did, but it might be worth researching into if you have no other way of keeping XP Pro installed

No it does not have that functionality. Even WINXP pro SP2 cd-key won't work with a SP1 pro cd. And of course it doesn't work between home edition and professional, but its kinda cool how Vista does support that.

My laptop auto starts after I turn it off. I was told by a friend that an internet signal was the cause for the laptop to turn itself back on but I already verified that's not the case. Every time I turn off the computer, I have wait until it starts back and then press and hold on to the on/off button to turn it off. After I do that it doesn't restarts. Any suggestions?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol i would not have a clue ummm it should not be doing that i recccomend you take it into a computer shop they will sort it all out for you and away you go that is reallly all i can sugest Edited by yordan
added the missing quotes (see edit history)

Replying to ChonfiDid you ever get this problem fixed? I have a laptop storage cart containing 30 HP laptops. It's on a timer 25 min on/off) and before I leave each day, all the laptops are powered off, when I return the next day, all laptops are powered on and most have a "low battery warning" on them. Any suggestions?Replying to Chonfi-reply by WVRIT

same hereLaptop Auto Starts After Turning It Off

well, mine does the same, I got an aspire one and it just restarts after shut off, automatically. Same happens when it goes to standby. It is like if the computer does not want to cut power if it is plugged in. I might have the cause figured out, a few days ago, I had a huge static shock when I touched my touchpad, I was sitting on a sofa with carpets underneth my feet. I heard that a static shock can contain up to 2000volts, who know what tiny component got burnt in my unit.

-reply by Huan lu

Hp laptop on/off confusion......Laptop Auto Starts After Turning It Off

I have two HP Laptops, one for work and one personal.

The work PC is a 6910p and doesn't power back up on its own.

The personal hp is a 62?? something or other, real similar actually, but a little older and does do just what is described, as in turning back on. (Seams like hibernation type mode to me)

I have found that it will almost always do it if you don't unplug the power cord first before shutting down. Also helps to leave the lid open until the unit is totally shut down. Even then I still find the little fella with a dead battery sometimes and know well why...

Am just going to live with it frankly, don't care much for computing, would rather be doing something fun. Like riding my motorcycle...

word is upgrades and / or SP 3 may help. Personally I wouldn't let SP 3 touch my personal HP Laptop, but who knows...

The company insisted on SP3 on my business HP, took three months to get it to accept it and another week to fix damaged drivers that SP3 killed. And one of our company laptops still remain dead from SP3. Sheesh,...What is MS trying to do anyways...

-reply by Tone Bone

Just thought I'd drop a line. I have had this same problem in the past, and it is almost always linked to Trojans, (virus in your computer), especially if your computer was not doing it in the past. I ran my computer in safe mode, and did a full, extensive system scan, authorizing my virus scan to delete any infected file, and repeated this a couple of times to make sure nothing was missed. Afterwards, I rebooted my computer and started Windows normally, and then shut down how I normally would. The problem is gone.

Hello,

this is no hardware or internet signal issue its a virus which is in fact a dialer which needs to be scanned please run a good antivirus and this will resolve the issue 

Regards,

raven

auto start laptopLaptop Auto Starts After Turning It OffWhen I shutdown my laptop.After few min.When I close lid & open lid laptop is auto start but no display on screen.Dvd led blinked.Acer aspire 4720Dual core 1.6ghz, 1gb 160 g hdd-reply by kiran patil